PDA

View Full Version : Computer Upgrade Help!!

JessHens
16-05-2017, 10:59am
I'm looking to upgrade my computer in the next 6 months and I need advice.. I'm not a very tech savvy type of person and when it comes to computers I've really got no idea... I need a computer/Laptop that I can use to edit photos. Also looking to upgrade my photoshop (currently have Elements 10 and find it very basic). I want to start to try and photograph in RAW.
Can anyone recommend a Laptop/Computer (I don't have a million dollars to spend) and a good photoshop that I can research a bit more about please.

TIA :)

ameerat42
16-05-2017, 11:14am
Tia. What have you got at present? If you don't know, here's how you can find out for a Windows based machine.
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. It will list your Processor, RAM, etc.

Gazza
16-05-2017, 12:14pm
I want to start to try and photograph in RAW.
That's always going to be a good idea - :nod:

Also looking to upgrade my photoshop (currently have Elements 10 and find it very basic).
PS is now subscription, unless you can get hold of an old copy of CS6.
Adobe Photoshop 2017, which comes with lightroom and is always being improved and updated...free trial here :url: (http://www.adobe.com/au/creativecloud/start-with-free-creativecloud.html?sdid=PGRQQLYP&mv=search&s_kwcid=AL!3085!3!177947579404!e!!g!!adobe&ef_id=WRpRhQAAAFF-S56O:20170516011029:s)

No help with the Comp upgrade, sorry :grinning01:

Cage
16-05-2017, 12:43pm
What Am said plus I use this handy little tool to get a bit more info on your current computer specs.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.79-en.exe

Oh and your available $$$'s helps with recommendations.

And a big part of an upgrade includes an IPS monitor.

JessHens
16-05-2017, 1:33pm
Hi name Jess (TIA - Thanks In Advance)
I currently have had my laptop for 8 years it's a Compaq Prcesario CQ61 Notebook, Window 7, AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M320 2.10GHz, 4.00GB RAM, 32 bit Operating system ...

I think it's pretty out dated and runs really slowly (probably needs a good clean and viruses removed)

John King
16-05-2017, 2:02pm
Basics:

SSD as boot/programs drive - Kingston HyperX Fury 240 GB (not the slightly cheaper version).

Enterprise standard HDD as backup to SSD and as data drive - 4TB.

High quality motherboard ($200, not $70-100 class)

Intel i5 top of range rather than bottom range i7 ...

Graphics with 2GB RAM on it.

8-16GB good quality RAM.

ASUS aRGB IPS monitor.

Cage
16-05-2017, 2:16pm
Hi Jess,

Mark L recently went through a similar exercise to upgrade his laptop and I recommended this unit.... https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gigabyte-p17f950701s-173-gaming-laptop-i77700hq-16gb-128gb-1tb-950m-win10-ac02481#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

Have a look at this link for some thoughts on what Photoshop requires. https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Buy_150

PS: I concur with John's thoughts above although I'd go for 16GB of RAM as a minimum.

John King
16-05-2017, 2:37pm
PS: I concur with John's thoughts above although I'd go for 16GB of RAM as a minimum.

So would I, Kev.

Forgot to mention O/S: Win7 Pro, 64 bit (of course).

Cage
16-05-2017, 4:34pm
Def 64 bit, but I'm quite satisfied with W10 once I got used to the changes.

ameerat42
16-05-2017, 5:09pm
Disagree with Win 7, and agree with Win 10. Anyway, you wouldn't get < Win 10
on a new computer.

John King
16-05-2017, 5:29pm
Disagree with Win 7, and agree with Win 10. Anyway, you wouldn't get < Win 10
on a new computer.

Last time I checked a few weeks ago, W7 Pro 64 was still available.

Personally, I think MS s/w is progressively going backwards ...

cupic
16-05-2017, 5:45pm
Perhaps after reading this link the choice is easier
https://fstoppers.com/originals/ulti...omputer-175962

John King
16-05-2017, 6:22pm
Perhaps after reading this link the choice is easier
https://fstoppers.com/originals/ulti...omputer-175962

It seems your link is invalid, Cupid :(.

Maybe here: Ultimate computer (https://fstoppers.com/originals/ultimate-video-guide-building-photo-and-video-editing-desktop-computer-175962)

Hawthy
16-05-2017, 7:04pm
Basics:

SSD as boot/programs drive - Kingston HyperX Fury 240 GB (not the slightly cheaper version).

Enterprise standard HDD as backup to SSD and as data drive - 4TB.

High quality motherboard ($200, not $70-100 class)

Intel i5 top of range rather than bottom range i7 ...

Graphics with 2GB RAM on it.

8-16GB good quality RAM.

ASUS aRGB IPS monitor.

That would certainly cover your Photoshop needs. Photoshop does not require a massively fast computer. Here are the minimum requirements as specified by Adobe https://helpx.adobe.com/ee/photoshop/system-requirements.html

I have a very basic setup - Intel Core i3-550, 4GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card. It does the job but can get a bit slow when stitching panos, etc. I shoot only raw and provided that I am not opening multiple raw images it is fine. Dedicating a USB Stick or an SD Card for ReadyBoost also helps.

John King
16-05-2017, 7:44pm
That would certainly cover your Photoshop needs. Photoshop does not require a massively fast computer. Here are the minimum requirements as specified by Adobe https://helpx.adobe.com/ee/photoshop/system-requirements.html

I have a very basic setup - Intel Core i3-550, 4GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card. It does the job but can get a bit slow when stitching panos, etc. I shoot only raw and provided that I am not opening multiple raw images it is fine.

Adobe are more than a little optimistic, Andrew. :rolleyes: :nod:.

IME, Photoshop (+ Bridge ... ) just adores butchering the available RAM! They are both memory hogs. With MS taking the same approach, 4GB for each of them is the bare minimum IME.

Hawthy
16-05-2017, 8:43pm
I agree. Running Bridge and Photoshop at the same time stretches my humble system. It is doable but not necessarily pleasant. Normally, I use Bridge to download photos from my camera and then save the keepers to a file. I then open the files from photoshop.

I suppose the point that I was trying to make was that you can make do with a lower specified system if you are on a tight budget, or even just if you are a tight-arse - like me. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JessHens
16-05-2017, 10:11pm
Thanks guys... Still feel like it's all over my head :lol: will do some research... In terms of an Apple computer if I went that way how do they compare to a Windows processor?

ameerat42
16-05-2017, 11:13pm
This should answer that question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_models_grouped_by_CPU_type
:D

- - - Updated - - -

There is no "Windows" processor.

arthurking83
18-05-2017, 12:30am
Can anyone recommend a Laptop/Computer (I don't have a million dollars to spend) and a good photoshop that I can research a bit more about please.

TIA :)

Without a set budget limit, it's hard to say what would be the best value for money.

Over the years, I've found that spending more on motherboard and hard drive(s) gives you better bang for your dollar than spending on CPU.(unless you do a lot of video editing, and/or massive gigapixel panorama stitching processes.

A desktop is always going to be cheaper than a laptop for a given performance level.

as a rule, I tend to limit my own PC case upgrade to $1K or less, but that's always independent of a PC screen.
I've found that PC screens are like camera lenses, they tend to last you longer than the PC box, in terms of currency and ability.

For a Laptop type computer, I'd recommend an ASUS. Best value for money I've found so far.
I'd say budget for about $1500(tops) for a very decent lappie with a 15" screen.

You can get a very good PC + 24-27" screen for roughly the same kind'a $s too.

Tannin
18-05-2017, 11:46pm
Good advice from Arthur. If you are going to get a laptop, then you want an external screen (and a good one - it's your most important photographic equipment after your lens and before your camera). That in turn means that you can not worry too much about the size and quality of your laptop screen - though it's still good to have a nice one if you have the money to spare, of course.

cupic
19-05-2017, 10:00am
Copying and paste Must have omitted some of the link
Thanks for the up

ameerat42
19-05-2017, 5:06pm
I would disagree with that. - That you "want" an external screen with a laptop.
OK if you just want one as such, but you certainly don't need one.

arthurking83
19-05-2017, 7:33pm
I would disagree with that. - That you "want" an external screen with a laptop.
OK if you just want one as such, but you certainly don't need one.

I disagree with with your disagreement! :p

My son is always pestering me to fix something up on his laptop(he's a gamer), or get something for him(via his laptop).
I can't remember but it may only be 1366x something else quite low too.
But even HD(1920x1080) could be an issue on a smallish 15" laptop for some(ie. font size).

Going from my old 24" cheapie screen, it was annoying navigating and having to 'put up with' the excruciating small font size.

Change the 24"(HD) for a 32" 4K screen now, and it's better described as detestable! how folks put up with less than 4K and smaller than about 27" especially if photography is a prime concern is not a subroutine I'm familiar with any longer! :p
4K on a screen smaller than 27"(eg. 24" if available) would be a severe squinting affair I reckon, at 27" it may be fine.
At 32" tho, it's large enough even without the reading glasses I new need to use on other screens!

And 4K is not only great for photography, all PC usage will benefit, large spreadsheets, browsing the net is much nicer too.
I sometimes try to send a window of some form from the 4K to the 24" HD I use as my secondary, and it simply loses too much, especially those spreadsheets, and web pages.
PDF files at A4 size are usable on the HD, and I can't really see a big advantage in going 4K for word docs(unless you like to see 4 in one screen!) or other smallish windows.

OK.. so I haven't really fully disagreed with Am here, in that you don't NEED a second screen, but the advantage in having one is certainly there for many uses(if you use those processes), and once you do go down that path, I'd say henceafter, it could be seen as a must have.

If budget constraints limit this as an option tho, then the preference is to spend more on the guts of the hardware for now, and think about it for the future.
Which is basically what I did.
Spent about $1K on the PC upgrade(you could easily adjust that for a laptop upgrade too tho) .. and then when the funds were possible, I spent over $2K on the screen .. but I got the PC hardware for the screen(ie appropriate graphics card) before I got the screen.

If you reckon you want/need a 4K screen, note that not all graphics cards will do 4K rendering or do it properly! Some claim they may do 4K, but watch for any caveats that it may only be at 30Hz refresh rate. minimum should be 60(or 59)Hz, and if possible, more is better(but super expensive).

Another note too with 4K screens. Some software may not have been updated to scale well to 4K screens. The great Fastone FSViewer, was one for too long, until recently. Very hard to see the tools/toolbar/any font not in the image window. The program hadn't been updated to work well with 4K screens for a long while, considering 4K was easily and now cheaply available for image mad types like us photographers!(made no sense).
Even worse is Nikon's supposedly current CaptureNX-D .. still no update to work(scale) well with 4K screens.

While I usually prefer to send the tool window to my second HD screen and have just the image on view on the 4K screen, with CNX-D I have to do this, or it's hard to use on the 4K screen only. It's not always appropriate to do that tho, so a conundrum is born.
** And it'd be out of character of me not to mention that the idiots at Nikon management are to blame for all the worlds ills too .. bad management, trickle down effect is bad software. Strangely tho, the much older (and no longer current)ViewNX2 and Capture NX2 work fine on the 4K screen, where the newer CNX-D doesn't! :confused:

.. just some more info to be mindful of.

bobt
20-05-2017, 10:20am
I would echo those who suggest a desktop rather than a laptop, so unless you need the portability, consider that as an option. Windows 10 is actually quite good and it recognises lots of peripherals that Windows 7 doesn't - it's also reasonably user friendly.
In terms of software, Photoshop isn't the only game in town and you could do just as well with other, cheaper alternatives. I have been processing photos for years without PS and have never found software to be limiting - usually it's the skill of the operator that is the major limiting factor.

The major, major consideration you haven't yet mentioned is how many dollars you are prepared to spend. It's impossible to suggest your best option without that knowledge. Doesn't matter if it's not a lot of money - at least we can then work within your budget. As it stands, our hands are tied. It's like telling someone to buy a house or a car without having even the vaguest idea of how much you want to spend.

Mark L
24-05-2017, 10:20pm
Hi Jess,

Mark L recently went through a similar exercise to upgrade his laptop and I recommended this unit.... https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gigabyte-p17f950701s-173-gaming-laptop-i77700hq-16gb-128gb-1tb-950m-win10-ac02481#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

That link has nothing to do with what I ended up with.