PDA

View Full Version : Just DON'T Say "Yes"....

ameerat42
15-05-2017, 3:51pm
...and then HANG UP!!

Just adding to the talk about recent scamming news and some posts here:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?152324-Had-physhing-not-fun&p=1407642#post1407642
and
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?152313-Back-up-your-photos-right-now&p=1407672#post1407672

I got a community newsletter devoted to the same thing today. It had TWO useful items in it:

1. A "Say YES" scam, where the trickster asks if you can hear him/her/it and tries to get you to say "yes". Your voice
is recorded for possible use in voice-activated authorisations.

2. A link to the ACCC's "Little Black Book of Scams" (https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Little%20Black%20Book%20of%20Scams%20-%20Pocket-sized%20guide.pdf)
for some interesting reading.

John King
15-05-2017, 4:23pm
All good advice, Am, thanks.

Good to see that the ACCC has done at least one useful thing ... :nod:.

Glenda
16-05-2017, 6:29am
Oh no, another thing to try and remember not to do. I imagine it would be very easy to get most people to say yes.

Gazza
16-05-2017, 10:29am
They are very trying...just imagine how useful they would be to the general community if they devoted the same amount of time and effort into something productive?

ameerat42
16-05-2017, 11:21am
They are very trying...just imagine how useful they would be to the general community if they devoted the same amount of time and effort into something productive?
I agree. I'm thinking of lemming emulation:D

- - - Updated - - -

---And another thing...

Don't you just like it when you get a call from "Joe Blow" at "XYZ" who immediately
launches in to asking you to verify your name, address, DOB, etc?!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just told the last one I wouldn't and it was ridiculous, then hung up.

Gazza
16-05-2017, 12:00pm
I agree. I'm thinking of lemming emulation:D

- - - Updated - - -

---And another thing...

Don't you just like it when you get a call from "Joe Blow" at "XYZ" who immediately
launches in to asking you to verify your name, address, DOB, etc?!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just told the last one I wouldn't and it was ridiculous, then hung up.
Agree, "you rang me!"..."what's your bloody name, DOB and address?"...things normally get really quiet after that :grinning01: :grinning01:

mongo
22-05-2017, 9:13pm

Maxwell Smart said the same thing slightly differently, ' if only they would use it for goodness and niceness instead of evil '

bricat
26-05-2017, 3:48am
I like to take a different approach and lead them on. Yes I'm logged on to the computer blah blah blah. Or "hang on a second I have got something on the stove" and don't go back to the phone. Friends know your mobile.
You used to be able to leave your phone with them hanging on and they would not be able to use that line until you hung up. I suppose technology has changed since then