PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Central Queensland

scottv69
20-03-2017, 2:35pm
I have recently moved back to Rockhampton after living in the San Francisco Bay Area for ten years. I got involved in photography while living in the US with my first camera being a Canon 10D. I still have the 10D by the way and will never let it go as it is an awesome camera and has a special look to the images it produces.

I spent a lot of time shooting sports while in the US mainly with the Canon 100-400 lens. I also love to shoot airshows too.

Moving back to Australia for family reasons I was shocked at the price of camera gear here, but I guess there isn't much we can do about that.

I now have a 5D Mark III and a 7D Mark II as well as some good glass. I still enjoy sports photography, but am also branching out into other areas of photography as well as using my cameras for video.

Oh and I also have a Fujifilm X100S which I love playing with.

I am doing a multimedia course at Uni and it is pushing my hard skills in capturing both stills and video, as well as my software skills in editing both stills and video.

I stumbled across this site when I was doing a search for something and decided to join so I can learn about the Australian photography scene.

Mary Anne
20-03-2017, 4:10pm
Hello Scott and Welcome to AP.. Yes being down under the price of camera gear is so different to what you could buy in the USA
Mind you when the $AU was good I bought quite a lot of gear from B&H in New York (who are one of our Sponsors) so it works both ways :nod:
Do you have the older version of the 100-400mm lens or the newer model.. Sounds like you have it all worked out for the future and a great way to go.
Hope to see you posting on the CC forums and do have a go at commenting on other Members posts as that's what makes Forums work.

scottv69
20-03-2017, 4:14pm
Thanks for the welcome Mary Anne. I know B&H only too well LOL having spent quite a few dollars there over the years. I did not realise they were a sponsor, but that is good to hear. I have had nothing but good experiences with B&H.

Yes I have the Mark I version of the 100-400 but it is on the list to upgrade to the Mark II soon. I will sell the Mark I after I get the Mark II to help offset some of the cost.

My favourite lens right now is my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II which produces stunning images.

Mary Anne
20-03-2017, 5:29pm
After looking at all the reviews and videos on youtube I dont blame you.
I have been looking at it for a while now too.

scottv69
20-03-2017, 5:33pm
Agreed. Other than the f/5.6 aperture at 400mm it is an awesome piece of kit. But then if it was faster than f/5.6 it would be both heavier and more expensive. No issues with day shooting though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rwg717
20-03-2017, 7:16pm
Hello and welcome to AP:)
Richard

scottv69
20-03-2017, 8:29pm
Thanks Richard. Good to be here.

bitsnpieces
21-03-2017, 10:13am
Hi and welcome to AP, also, welcome back to Oz :)

scottv69
21-03-2017, 10:56am
Thanks David. It is good to be back in OZ, but there are things I sorely miss from living in the US.

pgbphotographytas
21-03-2017, 11:39am
Welcome to the forum.