PDA

View Full Version : LR & PS Book and/or resource

Physioz
22-02-2017, 4:06pm
I subscribe to the Adobe CC where I get both Lightroom and Photoshop. I am now relatively familiar with LR (after a few years) but it is time that I took the massive 'leap' towards incorporating PS into my workflow. I am aware that there are numerous very good books on the market e.g. Scott Kelby's that cover either LR or PS. I am also (now) aware that ACR is very similar to LR. Nonetheless, I would like to be able to use LR as my cataloging and primary post-processing program, and only go to PS for things that I am not able to do in LR e.g. replace a dull sky with a blue sky in the background or add a texture effect. I would be grateful if anybody could recommend a good book or resource that covers the use of LR AND PS together.. PS I am an amateur and, at this point a beginner so I do not need tonnes of detail on PS

Physioz
22-02-2017, 4:16pm
I subscribe to the Adobe CC where I get both Lightroom and Photoshop. I am now relatively familiar with LR (after a few years) but it is time that I took the massive 'leap' towards incorporating PS into my workflow. I am aware that there are numerous very good books on the market e.g. Scott Kelby's that cover either LR or PS. I am also (now) aware that ACR is very similar to LR. Nonetheless, I would like to be able to use LR as my cataloging and primary post-processing program, and only go to PS for things that I am not able to do in LR e.g. replace a dull sky with a blue sky in the background or add a texture effect. I would be grateful if anybody could recommend a good book or resource that covers the use of LR AND PS together..

- - - Updated - - -

Apoplogies: my browser 'bombed out' and I have accidentally posted this twice:confused013

Gazza
22-02-2017, 4:18pm
Sounds like you're familiar with LR...try this site :url: (https://phlearn.com/product/photoshop-101-301) for everything PS. Plenty of free learning to be had, with a little LR on the side.
Most of the earlier tutorials deal with/use CS6, but still can be translated up to CC.

Cheers - :beer_mug:

Hamster
22-02-2017, 4:28pm
My suggestion would be to use the internet as your book. It sounds like you know enough of the relevant terms to do effective searches for what you're trying to find out, so I would look at resources like Phlearn, Julieanne Kost. They have so many video tutorials on everything from the basics to very advanced techniques that you should find everything you need. There are others but those two are my favourites. Julieanne starts nice and basic.
Because of the wealth of info out there on the interwebs I'm afraid I can't recommend a book. The other disadvantange with a book is that it goes out of date as the programs are updated.

On the subject of workflow. Everyone has a different way of doing things that works for them, within some common boundaries. It's worth seeing how a few people do things and then working out what mix of them will work for you, incorporating all the lightbulb moments that you gather on the way.

Finally, you mentioned sky replacement so I thought I'd say that Aaron Dowling's Luminosity Masks Panel is excellent for both this and pretty much any editing you could want to do in PS. There are plenty of instructional videos and even a facebook group that Aaron regularly helps people out on. It may be one to think about as you get more advanced. Maybe check a few of his free vids out to see if it's something you could use.

Edit - beaten like a red headed step child by Gazza on the Phlearn link. Must make my replies shorter :)

Gazza
22-02-2017, 4:32pm
Try clicking this triangle thingy and a helpful Mod will come and fix...cheers

ameerat42
22-02-2017, 4:53pm
Deleted MERGED other same thread (instead). Thanks for your advice there to OP, Gazza...

Now to reply to your post, Phyz...
[Alt approach]
Consider your approach. What did you learn about LR? What ideas about image editing, file handling, etc...?

Also, about how LR "works", with its menu's functions, etc?

Since they're both fro the same "crowd" there may be lots of common approaches to doing things.
I'd say, find out what one does that the other does not/is better/worse at...

Just what do you hope to get out of >>such<< a book? What about the resource of AP knowledge? (But don't look at me
for LR. PS is OK.)
[/Alt approach]

Physioz
22-02-2017, 5:28pm
Cheers Hamster, Gazza and Ameerat42 for hose ideas. I think I'll start with Hamster's suggestion of Julieanne because "..she starts nice and basic"; which suits me perfectly.

ricktas
22-02-2017, 7:04pm
If you are like me, you are a visual learner. Watch and learn. Others are more read it, understand it and try it.

So for visual learners.. video works best. So where better than youtube? There are literally thousands of videos that teach you photoshop and lightroom. Right from going through the menus and describing how to open an image, to multilayer, gradient edits.

For example. go to youtube and type in 'how do I create a vignette in photoshop' and voila.. heaps of videos.

Books can be great, and the afformentioned Scott Kelby has some good ones available, but for me..youtube.. and its free.

Mark L
22-02-2017, 10:26pm
For example. go to youtube and type in 'how do I create a vignette in photoshop' and voila.. heaps of videos.

I'd be inclined to ask "when should I create a vignette in my photo?":confused013

ricktas
22-02-2017, 10:32pm
I'd be inclined to ask "when should I create a vignette in my photo?":confused013

when you want to blur out the crappy background in a bird photo.

ameerat42
22-02-2017, 10:40pm

Here, perhaps, but not on Google! Could you imagine?!!!:eek::eek:

Anyway, my reply would be: "Whenever you like:nod:" If it doesn't suit, somebody will say in CC - ie, No-No.

- - - Updated - - -

Woe is me:(
I tried it as a joke and actually got...
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=when+should+i+create+a+vignette&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=HmqtWOWNN8LN8ger26jQCw

It appears the "nanny state" extends to creativity:(

Mark L
22-02-2017, 11:02pm
It just doesn't work when I try to be serious.

- - - Updated - - -

It just doesn't work when I try to be serious.:hb: