PDA

View Full Version : The Great (?) Wall of America.

Cage
27-01-2017, 6:48pm
Just saw on the news that Comb-over Don is going ahead with his plans to erect a wall along the USA-Mexico border.

I can understand his desire to increase border security, but sheesh, a $US10 Billion wall. Hasn't he heard of ladders and shovels?

He has indicated that Mexico will pay for it via a 20% tax on Mexican imports. :Doh: I don't know who his economic advisers are but that import tax will surely be passed on to the consumers, the American public.

American politics has always been an even bigger circus than our own, but their new Ringmaster seriously concerns me.

ameerat42
27-01-2017, 6:56pm
:crzy:, and other dementias.:rolleyes:

Ie: A multi-demential person:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ricktas
27-01-2017, 7:20pm
and IMO the reason he got up and won the two horse race.. most people are fed up with politics as its presents itself right now. They are fed up with seeing politicians helping out multi-national companies and their own business mates, to the detriment of the people who are paying the taxes.

Just as we saw micro and mini parties get senators etc. Everyone is fed up with the political machine. Donald offered something different, the voters grabbed onto it.

He is an interesting character and it is going to be amusing watching him play his game over the next four years. I praise his ripping up the TPP though..best thing he did so far.

ameerat42
27-01-2017, 7:34pm
I reckon they only think they're fed up. Probably knew nothing to start with, got told what to think, and hey presto...

The same happens here to a certain extent. I hope we don't become as "wise" as we see people elsewhere.

Certainly, there's no Advanced Sociology on display there, - just reactionism.

Mark L
27-01-2017, 9:39pm
They are fed up with seeing politicians helping out multi-national companies and their own business mates, to the detriment of the people who are paying the taxes.

So they elect the head of a multi-national company who installs his business mates as heads of government departments and is committed to huge decreases in company tax. :scrtch:

ricktas
27-01-2017, 9:47pm
So they elect the head of a multi-national company who installs his business mates as heads of government departments and is committed to huge decreases in company tax. :scrtch:

cause they listened to his 'jobs for Americans' 'we will make America great again' and those claims rang true with so many...

Cage
27-01-2017, 10:46pm
It could help unemployment. ;)

The border is 3.200 Klms long and would require constant surveillance against climbers and burrowers. So one guard, say every 100m, three shifts per day equates to 96,000 shifts daily so lots of new jobs. :nod: 'Onya Donald.

blkmcs
27-01-2017, 10:53pm
It's going to be a great wall so he'll probably bring in the Chinese, they've got experience in building walls, they build great walls, really great walls.

jim
27-01-2017, 10:55pm
Just saw on the news that Comb-over Don is going ahead with his plans to erect a wall along the USA-Mexico border.

I can understand his desire to increase border security, but sheesh, a $US10 Billion wall. Hasn't he heard of ladders and shovels?

He has indicated that Mexico will pay for it via a 20% tax on Mexican imports. :Doh: I don't know who his economic advisers are but that import tax will surely be passed on to the consumers, the American public.

American politics has always been an even bigger circus than our own, but their new Ringmaster seriously concerns me.

Not to mention that the two economies are so closely interrconnected that many Mexican imports are actually ultimately American exports. If he's serious about that tariff it will likely damage both countries.

Cage
27-01-2017, 11:00pm
And I've heard a rumour that Pauline will surround Australia with a moat if she becomes Prime minister. :lol2:

ricktas
28-01-2017, 7:51am
It's going to be a great wall so he'll probably bring in the Chinese, they've got experience in building walls, they build great walls, really great walls.

Perhaps he is going to build it out of these : http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/ :D

Click here (http://www.car-removals-melbourne.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/car-wrecker-Melbourne.jpg) to see the great wall in all its glory.

blkmcs
28-01-2017, 10:16am
Perhaps he is going to build it out of these : http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/ :D

Click here (http://www.car-removals-melbourne.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/car-wrecker-Melbourne.jpg) to see the great wall in all its glory.
Now that's a great idea and could provide a great boost for the great US car industry, just turning out great car shells to pile up along the border. :D

Cage
28-01-2017, 10:18am

You could be onto something there Rick.

There were probably enough of them recalled for safety issues do the job. :eek:

bobt
28-01-2017, 10:53am
It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good .... so just look on the bright side. Think of all the joy he's going to bring to satirists and comedians around the world! Plus all the new vocabulary. It's not just political prisoners he's going to torture - it's the English language!

As for the wall ..... it's all a matter of perspective. You might see it as a wall to keep Mexicans out ...... I see it as a wall to keep Americans in !!! :lol:

ameerat42
28-01-2017, 12:25pm
Of course, Bob! I forgot. How shellfish of me. Typical oyster-alien:o

bitsnpieces
29-01-2017, 7:57am
I reckon the secret agenda is that he's preparing for WW3 - that's what all the predictions say about 2017 and Donald Trump lol

MissionMan
29-01-2017, 9:55am
I'm not a trump fan, but I'm not a Clinton fan either. It's like choosing between root canal and castration. The one bit of credit I'll give him is:

a) he's doing exactly what he said he would do
b) he's doing it quickly

both of the above is more than I could say for 95% of politicians in Australia and the US.

As an example, when Jill Meagre died the Victorian government promised to change the bail laws. Nothing happened despite the promises and despite the recommendations coming out in August last year. In January 5 people including a 3 month old died as a result of their negligence and I put the blame square on their heads. This is not Libs, not Labour, this is all of them, and it's a fair reflection of why the public has lost all confidence in them. The reality is they get there, do the bare minimum, of course they'll take advantage of every bit of international travel with their families that they can and they always find time for that. It would not surprise me if we find Pauline Hanson gaining in popularity for the same reason trump did. People will get tired of seeing lots of promises and no change, so eventually, even bad change will seem palatable because at least it's change, and then they will wonder how she got there, blame the people for the way they voted, instead of looking at themselves.

DacrimL
29-01-2017, 6:03pm

I just recently watched a documentary on the Mexican Cartel and the various ways they have of infiltrating the borders, very interesting too.
However one way was thru a tunnel network that ranged anywhere from 10 meters deep to 100 meters deep and was over 25 kilometres in length, with railway tracks for transport.
If memory serves me correct the American gov spent over $1millon just to dig up and fill with concrete only portions of the network.......which left more than 90% in tact. And on top of that they said it was only one
of many that exist.
So I guess my question would be......"How deep are the foundations going to be and will he be able to finish within his allotted term?" :confused013

ameerat42
29-01-2017, 6:48pm
I'm not a trump fan, but I'm not a Clinton fan either. It's like choosing between root canal and castration. The one bit of credit I'll give him is:

a) he's doing exactly what he said he would do
b) he's doing it quickly

both of the above is more than I could say for 95% of politicians in Australia and the US.

As an example, when Jill Meagre died the Victorian government promised to change the bail laws. Nothing happened despite the promises and despite the recommendations coming out in August last year. In January 5 people including a 3 month old died as a result of their negligence and I put the blame square on their heads. This is not Libs, not Labour, this is all of them, and it's a fair reflection of why the public has lost all confidence in them. The reality is they get there, do the bare minimum, of course they'll take advantage of every bit of international travel with their families that they can and they always find time for that. It would not surprise me if we find Pauline Hanson gaining in popularity for the same reason trump did. People will get tired of seeing lots of promises and no change, so eventually, even bad change will seem palatable because at least it's change, and then they will wonder how she got there, blame the people for the way they voted, instead of looking at themselves.

Yes, but "credit"? He told us he was going to run amok, and he's doing it quick smart... - Er, quick, at least. But how
creditable is that?

I guess that's part of what makes us still a lucky country - not running amok quickly. Yes, there's PH, but she's still rather a
bleat in the wilderness.

Just heard on the news that a US Fed judge has put some sort of stay on DT's "executive order". No details about that, but at least
let's hope that he doesn't try to hobble the judiciary there. I reckon there'll be great disaffection from many of his present supporters
if he does, but the lunatic fringe hard liners there a numerous.

Mark L
29-01-2017, 7:35pm
I'm not a trump fan, but I'm not a Clinton fan either. It's like choosing between root canal and castration.

How many more wonderful children before your dear lady suggest that second option?? :D

MissionMan
29-01-2017, 7:58pm
How many more wonderful children before your dear lady suggest that second option?? :D

She has already closed shop and told me if I want anymore I have to carry them myself. I investigated surrogates but apparently its not what I expected, it's done in a lab???:confused013

ameerat42
31-01-2017, 8:19pm
Was the judge that DT fired the same one that put the stay on his executive order???

Cripes! if it is.

bobt
31-01-2017, 10:08pm
Was the judge that DT fired the same one that put the stay on his executive order???

Cripes! if it is.

The Attorney General he fired was indeed the one who was critical of his decision - the only thing that can be said is that she was on the way out anyway because she was a democrat. She was only holding the position pending Trump's choice being confirmed, and then she would have been looking for a job anyway.

Mark L
01-02-2017, 9:28pm
^well its's a bit more invovled than that Bob.
She was fired because she gave legal advice that contradicted a Presidential decree thingy.
She had two days left in the job before an Acting Attorney General would have taken over from her. The Don couldn't take her advice or wait 2 days.
"I'm in control here."

ameerat42
01-02-2017, 9:39pm
Yes, indeed he is! - Of a soon-to-be-scuttled ship of state. (No, not ship-shape, but it sounds a bit like "ship":D)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I started to watch tonight's episode of Shaun Micallef's "Stairway To Heaven"...
...pause...

Well, some minutes in I had to just switch it OFF!! I couldn't stand watching a group of the
estimated 3 million "Preppers" armed to the teeth and sprouting their tenets of the "End Days".
They believe that the time has already started. Boy, what a self-fulfilling prophecy!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I went and hadda B:vomit1:RF!

bricat
03-02-2017, 3:59am
All great ideas get a bit of flack. The Great Wall of Chiiina wasn't well received by the slaves. They didn't complain though. Fly to the moon and land there? Roads that the Romans built and they didn't have cars. Suez Canal. The list goes on and on but history will show just a Great Wall visible from Mars? The problem with President Don is he opens his mouth before he puts his brain into gear. And he is used to telling people what to do without question. He will be put in his place when someone with a few cahoonas speaks up. Or he will trip on his own importance

ameerat42
03-02-2017, 9:07am
Yep. DT's problem is himself. It's the same for the whole of that country, for now.

Our problem is UTTER HYPOCrisy!

In a way - not in a statesman-like way - it was good that MT got blasted for it.
Let him look inward to his own policies - alas, unlikely.

Of course we don't know the details - never will, no matter how many we're told - but
DT did say that he's trying to figure out why MT wants the US to take som many "illegal immigrants..."
(His term.)

What sort of footing did MT start out on??!! "Hi, we've got those 1000 illegal immigrants* you agreed to
take, remember?" "Yes, my timing's great, isn't it?":rolleyes::rolleyes:

* An oft-used government description only.

MissionMan
03-02-2017, 9:17am
I think the Trump thing is a little blown out of proportion, a lot of hypocrisy from those crying about it. People predicting the end of the world. I'm pretty much over it now. Let it go, Trump isn't going anywhere, move on with your lives. If the people protesting spent half as much time trying to do some good with their time, they may actually make more of a difference. I still think he was a better choice over Clinton who was looking to pick a fight with Russia, although obviously not the best choice. And he has a 59% approval rating which is more than we can say for our pollies.

This article does a good job of highlighting some of that (and Piers is not a Trump fan).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4180508/PIERS-MORGAN-Trump-s-no-monster-s-not-mad-either.html

ameerat42
03-02-2017, 9:46am
It will never happen during DT's reign, MM:D

Anyway, it's hardly a recipe for progress. - Our lives now include DT, like it or not.

So it's good to vent occasionally and to toss ideas about, instead of just being tossed about
on "LIFE'S SURGE".

jim
03-02-2017, 7:13pm
I think the Trump thing is a little blown out of proportion, a lot of hypocrisy from those crying about it. People predicting the end of the world. I'm pretty much over it now. Let it go, Trump isn't going anywhere, move on with your lives. If the people protesting spent half as much time trying to do some good with their time, they may actually make more of a difference. I still think he was a better choice over Clinton who was looking to pick a fight with Russia, although obviously not the best choice. And he has a 59% approval rating which is more than we can say for our pollies.

This article does a good job of highlighting some of that (and Piers is not a Trump fan).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4180508/PIERS-MORGAN-Trump-s-no-monster-s-not-mad-either.html

Everybody's going bonkers. Here's a sensible article:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/how-to-tame-donald-trump-214706

ameerat42
03-02-2017, 7:29pm
Hmm! From getting a grip on life to everyone losing it...

---Sounds like punditry:eek::eek::eek:

All-or-nothing statements are s:cool:ss!

Feel free to express yourselves.

MM and Jim: I 4 1 am NOT saying that they are NOT interesting articles.

Ta for posting them anyway.

jim
03-02-2017, 7:51pm
MM and Jim: I 4 1 am NOT saying that they are NOT interesting articles.

Ta for posting them anyway.

I'm glad you liked it. I hope you read it.

There will be a test later.

ameerat42
03-02-2017, 8:05pm
Also heard the likes on ABC RN.
Errr... 45?:D

Mark L
03-02-2017, 9:11pm
Everybody's going bonkers. Here's a sensible article:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/how-to-tame-donald-trump-214706

From article, "Nixon, a pragmatist, was not averse to a Teddy Roosevelt sort of conservation, preserving natural resources for future generations."
U.S.A. now has a bloke in charge of the E.P.A. that has a long standing vow to abolish the E.P.A. . Since when was Nixon used as a reverence for environmental protection? Since DT.

jim
03-02-2017, 9:33pm
It's quite a verdict,isn't it? Donald Trump. Makes Nixon look good!

ApolloLXII
04-02-2017, 8:36am
Donald got the inspiration for building his wall from the Chinese, mainly because theirs works pretty well. It's been up for centuries and there hasn't been one Mexican attempting to get into China so now Donald wants one.
On a completely different tack, has anyone noticed Trumps Vice President, Mike Pence? Did Walt Disney ever envisage that the day would come when the U.S. was going to be run by Donald and Mickey?

ameerat42
04-02-2017, 9:19am
Of course! Imagine Goofy and Pluto:eek::eek:...
...What's that?... Oh, they're doing name swaps?...

bricat
05-02-2017, 4:54pm
I thought more like Abbott and Costello (the older ones)

bobt
05-02-2017, 4:59pm
I'm reminded of an old advertising slogan, some of you will remember, which needs only a slight tweak to become relevant again.

"Is Don, Is Bad".

Chebby
06-03-2017, 5:45pm
Donald got the inspiration for building his wall from the Chinese, mainly because theirs works pretty well. It's been up for centuries and there hasn't been one Mexican attempting to get into China so now Donald wants one.
On a completely different tack, has anyone noticed Trumps Vice President, Mike Pence? Did Walt Disney ever envisage that the day would come when the U.S. was going to be run by Donald and Mickey?

Bit late in seeing this, but HILARIOUS!!! :lol:

bobt
06-03-2017, 5:57pm
Bit late in seeing this, but HILARIOUS!!! :lol:

Didn't notice that myself ...... reminds me of when Tony Abbott and Costello were center stage. Abbott and Costello ... very apt.

I did enjoy watching the President's calisthenics class the other day. Every few seconds people stood up, sat down, stood up, sat down.

Chebby
06-03-2017, 6:20pm
Didn't notice that myself ...... reminds me of when Tony Abbott and Costello were center stage. Abbott and Costello ... very apt.

I did enjoy watching the President's calisthenics class the other day. Every few seconds people stood up, sat down, stood up, sat down.

Hey Bobt
Our Abbott and Costello were tame in comparison, yeah?? haha.. The Chinese wall was the bit I found hilarious LOL.... I missed seeing the calisthenics class, darn! I've never laughed so much since he got elected.

Mark L
06-03-2017, 10:20pm
.....I've never laughed so much since he got elected.
Can I grab you by the pussy?? Thank someone’s god you're not a Muslim or a Mexican??
I'm not laughing. He's the bloody President of the U.S.A.. That has long term consequences.
I must learn how to communicate via twitter since it's good enough for the Pres.

Chebby
06-03-2017, 10:33pm
Can I grab you by the pussy?? Thank someone’s god you're not a Muslim or a Mexican??
I'm not laughing. He's the bloody President of the U.S.A.. That has long term consequences.
I must learn how to communicate via twitter since it's good enough for the Pres.

No way, not with anything he says or does. Where I laugh is the responses to his tweets from those who detest him, the memes and SNL portrayals.

paulheath
07-03-2017, 5:53am
It could help unemployment. ;)

The border is 3.200 Klms long and would require constant surveillance against climbers and burrowers. So one guard, say every 100m, three shifts per day equates to 96,000 shifts daily so lots of new jobs. :nod: 'Onya Donald.

Think you will find its only 96 shifts.... and no doubt he will use the already exhausted boarder control:lol: