PDA

View Full Version : Error message F-- Lens not attached

thegrump
04-01-2017, 7:37pm
Error message F-- Lens not attached.. I have been getting this message on and off. Only with the Sigma 50-500. Any clues. Yes, the lens clicks into place.

ameerat42
04-01-2017, 8:47pm
Have you visually checked/cleaned with isopropyl alcohol the contacts on the lens and camera - separately, to see if
either action resolves the problem?

That's just the first step.

Hawthy
04-01-2017, 8:49pm
Is the lens fully compatible with your camera? Is your aperture ring locked?

ameerat42
04-01-2017, 8:54pm
Hawthy. TG has been using this lens for yonks (presumably still) on the same camera.

Hawthy
04-01-2017, 9:07pm
Oh. I see. In that case one of the contacts may be dirty or stuck, as you suggest. Give it a tub, TG.

thegrump
04-01-2017, 9:08pm
Have you visually checked/cleaned with isopropyl alcohol the contacts on the lens and camera - separately, to see if
either action resolves the problem?

That's just the first step.

Thanks....I have just given it a clean. now to wait and see.

Hawthy
04-01-2017, 9:10pm
Or try this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/huskerbrown/sets/72157623395271967/with/4391771425/

ameerat42
04-01-2017, 9:44pm
OK, and another thing, TG. Doing a search on your very title of this thread leads to a heap of
instances of this problem.

thegrump
04-01-2017, 10:19pm
OK, and another thing, TG. Doing a search on your very title of this thread leads to a heap of
instances of this problem.

I did a Google search. Heaps! but no answers.

ameerat42
05-01-2017, 7:54am
PLenty of anwswers, it's just whether they fix it...
From http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=158
there's this pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/huskerbrown/sets/72157623395271967/

richardb
10-01-2017, 8:24am
Great info. I know some one with this problem
:th3::th3::th3:

Mark L
13-01-2017, 10:02pm
Is your aperture ring locked?
This is worth researching.
AM suggested cleaning contacts with isopropyl alcohol. I'll suggest a cruder method. Clean contacts on the lens and camera with a rubber.

thegrump
13-01-2017, 10:46pm
Or try this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/huskerbrown/sets/72157623395271967/with/4391771425/

Hawthy...I don't appear to have those exact fitting on my Sigma. There is this fitting on my two Nikons. I will keep on searching

- - - Updated - - -

I just pushed the ? on my menu while the F-- was flashing and I received this message...."Check lenses. Non-CPU lenses can be used in manual mode only"

arthurking83
14-01-2017, 5:08pm
Have you moved the aperture ring?

Can't remember what camera you have, but some don't like the aperture ring moved off the smallest setting(largest numerical value).

So, if your lens has an aperture ring, and it's largest number is something like 22, set the lens to f/22.

Note tho that some lenses have a step beyond the largest number which is where the camera's AE system prefers it.
These lenses are rare, and I doubt the Siggy has this system.

Also, if it has a locking system for this aperture value, it's best to use it too.
Again some lenses do, and other lenses don't have this aperture lock system.

Just giving you all the possible things to check. I don't have much experience of the Sigma 50-500, and I know the earlier models had an aperture ring, but the later models don't .. and my one and only experience with this lens(bloody large and heavy) is a few minutes about 10 years ago!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah.
Another way to clean the contact is to use a clean pencil eraser with a clean cut edge.
Very lightly too tho.
Don't hold the camera or lens with the opening facing skywards too. if any rubber material does fall off, you don't want it in the camera or lens.
Usually you do this with the camera or lens on a flat surface(eg. table) angled slightly downwards so that if any rubbery stuff does separate it falls safely onto the flat surface.

I've done this eraser method too, safe to do. Had a problem with my Siggy 10-20 what seems like a million years ago now, and I remember it fixed it up well :th3:

If you don't like to use an eraser due to the falling rubber issue(which isn't really!) and prefer a cleaner type method, I'd suggest if you have to get something(anything) then instead of alcohol, get a can of contact cleaner instead.
These aren't hard to get and are ideal for cleaning electronic contacts(as the name implies).
I use a small squirt on a cotton bud(the type on the end of a stick!) and just lightly brush the contacts with that(ie. don't spray them directly of course).

ps. do your other lenses work ok?
Reason is ... deductive reasoning: if they all work fine, then there's a 99.9% chance that if you still have intermittent issues with the 50-500, then the contacts on that lens are the issue.

jim
14-01-2017, 5:56pm
Problem: F-- lens not attached.

Solution: Attach F-- lens.

You're welcome :cool:

Ross the fiddler
14-01-2017, 6:25pm
The locking pin can be crucial in these situations. If it can't make it fully home in the locating hole, does it prevent use or show error? I have found that not only the pin can have minute burs on it, bit so can the locating hole & both needs to be totally clear for best operation. I would use a pointed scalpel blade or jewellers screw driver to clean out the locating hole, however, whatever method is used the pin should not catch at all.

thegrump
14-01-2017, 8:33pm
this is the equipment. I noticed what could have been a small bur, I could not feel it, but could see it on the photo, I used a scalpel to try and remove it ( the lens was not working any way ). I removed the upper bur ( see photo ) and then the lower one. The bur could have moved inside so I tried to clear that. Looks a bit messy. The locating lug sounds like it makes it home, but the lens is still not working.

Ross the fiddler
14-01-2017, 9:26pm
Well, it was an idea. I do know that if the lens release button is pressed on an Olympus body it disables aperture settings etc & blanks out the display (Live View) & if it doesn't lock properly with the pin returning to 'home' fully it can sometimes cause issues. It would seem something else is going on in your situation.

arthurking83
15-01-2017, 1:04am
Ah! no aperture ring .. so like you say, lens won't work at all.
If the lens had an aperture ring, you could still use it in Manual mode even if the F-- error showed up.

So now, you're two options are:

clean the contacts on the lens; if you haven an eraser try this at your earliest convenience. you don't need any pressure! You're not erasing anything. You just lightly rub it across the contacts. There could be a small amount of (usually)greenish or brownish buildup on the contacts and the electrical connection is 'just not good enough'. The eraser method is just to remove enough of that build up to get a connection
If you prefer not to use an eraser, and prefer a cleaner type method, it's basically the same thing, only more thorough in it's cleaning ability.

Sigma have a tendency to use whatever dark looking material it is that they use on their contacts. Almost all other manufacturers appear to use gold plating, as they look like a proper shiny gold colour and sheen to them.
Sigma(from what I've seen) are different!

Failing any success with cleaning the contacts your other options would be 1/. to take lens to Sigma(I think CRKennedy has moved to Port Melbourne now) and they'll fix it for 'ya.
Or 2/. try opening it yourself and checking the condition of the CPU ribbon. It's really about all you can do yourself.

Ross the fiddler
15-01-2017, 10:10am
Ah! no aperture ring .. so like you say, lens won't work at all.
If the lens had an aperture ring, you could still use it in Manual mode even if the F-- error showed up.

So now, you're two options are:

clean the contacts on the lens; if you haven an eraser try this at your earliest convenience. you don't need any pressure! You're not erasing anything. You just lightly rub it across the contacts. There could be a small amount of (usually)greenish or brownish buildup on the contacts and the electrical connection is 'just not good enough'. The eraser method is just to remove enough of that build up to get a connection
If you prefer not to use an eraser, and prefer a cleaner type method, it's basically the same thing, only more thorough in it's cleaning ability.

Sigma have a tendency to use whatever dark looking material it is that they use on their contacts. Almost all other manufacturers appear to use gold plating, as they look like a proper shiny gold colour and sheen to them.
Sigma(from what I've seen) are different!

Failing any success with cleaning the contacts your other options would be 1/. to take lens to Sigma(I think CRKennedy has moved to Port Melbourne now) and they'll fix it for 'ya.
Or 2/. try opening it yourself and checking the condition of the CPU ribbon. It's really about all you can do yourself.

I might add, that the eraser is the soft rubber type & is very effective in removing that 'tarnish' appearance on the contacts. I don't know how that ribbon cable is connected internally but if it is a push fit into a connector (sometimes using an extra clamping lock mechanism in some uses), but a reseat of that cable might be necessary.

arthurking83
15-01-2017, 10:45am
I might add, that the eraser is the soft rubber type & is very effective in removing that 'tarnish' appearance on the contacts. .....

eraser fixed my Siggy 10-20 with only 1 light pass. :th3:
I had the same issue that TG has while I was out'n'about where the camera would basically lockup.
Remove lens, refit .. it helped a couple of times, but it was all over the place.

@ home, I did the eraser thing and have never had trouble with the Siggy ever since.

The contact cleaner fixed my Tamron 28-75 issue.
I only used the contact cleaner because I discovered that I had some left over! Otherwise I'd have just used the eraser again.
Contact cleaner sprayed onto a cotton bud so it was wet. cotton bud swiped over contacts on the wet side, then a very light swipe on the dry side, you don't want lint coming off, so just a light drying action. In fact it doesn't really need it, I just did it.
Never had an issue with the Tammy again either.

ps. I'm also going colourblind. I thought that most lens contacts are gold coloured, but are in fact a silvery silver colour, whereas the Sigma's are different using a dark coloured finish.

Ross the fiddler
15-01-2017, 11:04am

ps. I'm also going colourblind. I thought that most lens contacts are gold coloured, but are in fact a silvery silver colour, whereas the Sigma's are different using a dark coloured finish.

My Sigma 150mm macro lens appears to be gold, but I've had gold contacts on pc boards etc go dull & can even get a dark bronze appearance. The rubber cleans that up nicely & then I use alcohol, isopropyl preferably, but metho will do if buffed dry afterwards.

thegrump
15-01-2017, 3:02pm
Nothing seemed to be working, so I took off the piece from the lens with the ball like connections. I took the whole center out, then realized you could take the single piece out. I gave the connections a tap from the back, then reassembled the thing. It is working, :scrtch: or at least for the last couple of hours. I have taken the lens off and reconnected it a dozen times. I am crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

ameerat42
15-01-2017, 3:04pm
Congs, TG.

arthurking83
16-01-2017, 7:35am
If you have taken the mount apart and then put together again and it's working, then most likely a connection issue to the CPU.
The CPU is what allows the camera to recognise the lens.

So the ribbon connection to the CPU is mostly likely failing, not the contacts themselves.
The ribbon connection is quite fragile(very thin wires) and almost certain to be solder joints playing up.

Hawthy
16-01-2017, 9:05pm
I had to Google "congs" but agree, congs 2u TG.