PDA

View Full Version : Well, Happy new year!

Mr Felix
02-01-2017, 8:21pm
I live in Sydney and decided to indulge in watching the fireworks for the first time in a LONG time.

Got the tripod, set up at about 20:40 and waited. (Shame about the mosquitoes!)

Anyway, I did a couple of "test" shots to see if the main object was in focus, as I was doing manual focusing, and it looked ok.
Weird how these new lenses have a way faster focus than I remember on the "old" ones.
These, you just think about adjusting the focus and it has been moved. Annoying when working near the "infinity" end of the scale. Oh well.

I also flicked to the screen view and zoomed in as best I could to get the best view.
Again: Strange how I couldn't get a 100% sharp picture.
Using a Sigma 105 Prime lens. (2.8)
Ok, I was using f3.8 or there about.

Anyway, the test shots went off and looked ok.
They were abut 4 to 8 second exposures, so on one: The plane flying past only left light trails behind. Nice-ish.

So, then the fireworks went off!
I took about 20 pictures and shall endeavour to upload them ASAP once I can get them resized down to something more acceptable here.
(New machine, new programs, NEW way of doing things, SLOW time line.)
I am not too keen to sit in front of a "coal fired" computer in this weather. Windows PC's seen to be notorious for that.
This one runs on a plug pack. WAY cooler to use - as in heat wise.

So that's it from me.
I hope more of you got GOOD pictures of the fireworks than I did.
They aren't BAD, but I am sure they could be BETTER than they are.
Most of the sky is either red, orange, green, or what ever colour the firework was.

(I hope I remember to post the pictures soon, as I am about to go on a quick trip up the coast for 5 days and maybe take more images.)

Happy new year to all.

Brigitte
02-01-2017, 9:11pm
Happy New Year to you and all other members. The trouble with fireworks is you can't have another go the next night. Gave it a go but have to wait till I get home from my holiday to really see what I got.

Mr Felix
02-01-2017, 9:27pm
I guess I could have "tried again" at mid-night.

But for "old farts", that is a bit beyond bed time.....

I'm lucky to get to 23:00 these days.

(And being eaten by the mossies......... Naaaa! Not that night.)

Mark L
05-01-2017, 10:09pm
I tried close up fireworks at 600mm this year.:D Might have two photos of interest but I'm only just getting over that hangover.:(

bitsnpieces
06-01-2017, 10:03pm
Belated but happy new year! I missed out this year as I was away, so no firework shots or anything, just watched TV lol