PDA

View Full Version : Flash head no external battery?

Gavvvvvin
02-01-2017, 10:14am
I was watching a wedding photographer shooting on location the other day and noticed that he was using a flash head that didn't appear to be connected to any external battery.

Does such a thing exist or was I just seeing things?

sufran
03-01-2017, 9:28am
There are a couple of brands of strobes that have the rechargeable battery built into the head. The strobes can be either manual or a version of ettl. Both types of the strobes usually include HSS or a version of HSS. You can find the brand names easily with a google search (sorry, not sure I can specify the brands here).

ricktas
03-01-2017, 9:34am
There are a couple of brands of strobes that have the rechargeable battery built into the head. The strobes can be either manual or a version of ettl. Both types of the strobes usually include HSS or a version of HSS. You can find the brand names easily with a google search (sorry, not sure I can specify the brands here).

Yes you can specify brands. Once a member has 30 days membership and at least 50 posts, you are free to talk about products/brands etc, as long as you are not promoting something you sell.

sufran
03-01-2017, 10:02am
The first in the field, with a premium price are Profoto (B1 and B2). Then there are a number of Chinese-origin versions which are much cheaper, and may be regarded by some as having a less sturdy build or less consistent white balance which include Godox/Wistro AD 600, Indra500, and most recently Triopo F1-400. I haven't really looked at the Triopo (just recently announced) but I have been seriously considering the Godox 600. (I have the Godox AD 360 which i think is awesome, but not really powerful enough for overpowering the sun). The inbuilt battery can be a mixed blessing - obviously you don't need to carry around a separate battery pack, but the inbuilt battery can make the strobe top-heavy to use, especially when you add on a light modifier, so balancing the strobe can require care.