PDA

View Full Version : Spike Milligan

Mark L
17-12-2016, 11:23pm
A funny fella. He was a gem.
Came across this tonight that shows he had humour in older age. .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCUTOYMYONU
Wouldn't mind others posting amusing Spike things.:th3:

bobt
18-12-2016, 7:29am
A funny fella. He was a gem.

Loved it! I don't suppose many here will remember the Goons, but I grew up on them. That sort of humour has been replaced by a nastier and unnecessarily vulgar version, where repeated use of expletives is supposed to be a substitute for genuine comedy. I don't give a FF if people swear, but when they do it just because they can't think of something funny is just lazy and unimaginative.

His response to the Royal letter was classic. :lol:

Glenda
18-12-2016, 8:15am
Britain has produced some great comedians and he was definitely one of them.

[QUOTE=bobt;1390178 That sort of humour has been replaced by a nastier and unnecessarily vulgar version, where repeated use of expletives is supposed to be a substitute for genuine comedy. I don't give a FF if people swear, but when they do it just because they can't think of something funny is just lazy and unimaginative.[/QUOTE]

Too true. I went with son and his girlfriend to see a comedian I had seen and enjoyed on TV, where obviously some censorship re language applied, and was horrified by the amount of swearing. I am old enough to remember the Goons and also when swearing in public could result in a court appearance and a fine.

feathers
18-12-2016, 8:26am
Another goon fan:th3: Swearing not my humor either.

Gazza
18-12-2016, 8:45am
The Catchphrase "He's fallen in the water" (little Jim) instantly came to mind....enjoyed listening to them Sunday mornings, before TV.

ricktas
18-12-2016, 9:00am
Thanks Bob.. it seems I am now officially old.. in your eyes. Dear Santa.. One Zimmer Frame, Please.. and a bottle of Sherry.

PS. Spike did the best radio show on the BBC. I loved tuning into that cacophony of disjointed laughs. In 2014 the BBC repeated a heap of them : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vdh54/broadcasts/2014/12 sadly we cannot listen to them now, unless someone knows a place they are still live.

Liney
31-12-2016, 6:15pm
Another Goons fan here, a colleague and I share many moments by reverting into Seagoon and Eccles type conversations. All that humour was based around inflection, timing, and come back lines that took you off into tangents that you just were'nt expecting.

Seagoon: Eccles why did you three legs?
Eccles: The fourth one fell off

Brendo09
31-12-2016, 6:39pm
I was seven when my father brought home a folding box with nine Goon Show cassettes in it. I wore them out, catching the dreaded Lurgi, trying to cook a batter pudding and throw it, and draining the loch to get to the treasure.

Comic gold.

ameerat42
31-12-2016, 6:46pm
Say mere! :nod::nod:

---And after almost all the episodes
SANE NO MORE!:D

I reckon they'll be playing them over for the next 2pla centuries:cool:

bobt
31-12-2016, 7:02pm
I think someone could establish a chronological time frame something like the generational one we already have (millenniums, GenX, Baby boomers etc) just by referencing the humour of their youth.

Laurel and Hardy
Goons
Monty Python
South Park
Simpsons
Some Godawful cruddy not-at-all-amusing wannabe current day humorist.

You could add a lot to that scale, but they don't make 'em like they used to! Makes me feel old ...... wait a minute ... I AM old!! :lol:

ameerat42
31-12-2016, 8:00pm
...... wait a minute ... I AM old!! :lol:

Good news, Bob! - It's only a STATE OF MIND:nod: - A lunatic told me so:cool:

bobt
31-12-2016, 10:06pm
Good news, Bob! - It's only a STATE OF MIND:nod: - A lunatic told me so:cool:

I used to tell my mother "If old age is catching up, walk a little faster". Seems like she couldn't walk fast enough!! 8*O

Brendo09
31-12-2016, 10:19pm
- Pointless post deleted -

peterb666
01-01-2017, 12:06am
Laurel and Hardy
Goons
Monty Python
South Park
Simpsons
Some Godawful cruddy not-at-all-amusing wannabe current day humorist.

LoL - great idea and a way of measuring the age of us fossils.

Floribunda
01-01-2017, 1:05am
Another Goon fan here too. Can't stand the witless crude humour dished out today.
I love Spike's silly poems.

"Said Hamlet to Ophelia
I'll draw a sketch of thee,
What kind of pencil shall I use?
2B or not 2B. "

Priceless.

martycon
01-01-2017, 7:54pm
Thanks for posting that Mark. As Spike commented, the formal recognition was not before time. Importantly there are not too many comedians with a fine Bridge named after them. I have fond memories of weekly evening broadcasts on short wave, sitting very close to a valve radio.
cheers marty.

Glen1
01-01-2017, 9:43pm
Another Spike Milligan poem, which for some obscure reason I've always remembered,
"Once I saw a little worm,
wriggling on his belly.
I asked him if he'd come inside,
and see what's on the Telly."

Spike spent some time at Woy Woy on the NSW Central Coast. Woy Woy means "Deep water" in the native Aboriginal dialect. Spike famously joked that he didn't know which 'Woy' meant 'Deep' or 'Water'.

Regards

ameerat42
01-01-2017, 9:49pm
...Woy Woy means "Deep water" in the native Aboriginal dialect. Spike famously joked that he didn't know which 'Woy' meant 'Deep' or 'Water'...

Either "woy" / any"woy", it doesn't matter...
Or, you could put it another "woy" and it'd still be the same:p

bobt
01-01-2017, 9:56pm
I have fond memories of weekly evening broadcasts on short wave, sitting very close to a valve radio.cheers marty.

A steam driven valve radio I trust! :th3:

Brendo09
02-01-2017, 12:22am
I don't wish to know that.

Mark L
02-01-2017, 9:42pm
"Said Hamlet to Ophelia
I'll draw a sketch of thee,
What kind of pencil shall I use?
2B or not 2B. "

:lol::lol:

Hawthy
02-01-2017, 10:16pm
I like that he always wanted the epitaph on his gravestone to read, "I told you I was ill."