PDA

View Full Version : An expensive repair after a fall in Borneo

Brian500au
26-11-2016, 2:10pm
I recently did a trip to Borneo to photograph wildlife. When traveling I always take two camera bodies with me just in case one develops a fault - or in this case I happen to fall into a lake with the camera body, lens and tripod in my hand.

Oddly enough when I was preparing for this trip I was very weight limited and considered just traveling with one body (but that only entered by mind for a brief moment). In the end between my wife and I, we travelled with 3 camera bodies and a set of lenses I felt would cover the spectrum of what we wanted to photograph.

Near Kuching was walking over some rocks to get closer to a waterfall I wanted to photograph. The weather was extremely warm and the humidity was very high. To top it off I was a little dehydrated due to the walk to the water fall. I was stepping over some rocks when I lost my footing and took a fall into the lake. The camera, lens and tripod went under water and it was a few seconds before I could gain my composure enough to lift the equipment out. Hence when I did retrieve the gear it was soaking wet, to the point where water was running out of the body. I immediately stripped the body of the lens, battery and turned it upside to drain. I then put both the lens and the body in the sun to try to dry them out. When i returned to my hotel I immediately grabbed a hairdryer to further remove any moisture from the body and lens.

When I returned to Australia I opened a claim with my travel insurance company and then sent the body and lens (5DsR and 16-35 F4L) into canon for a quote to be repaired. Maybe in my natively I was expecting the motherboard was short circuited and need replacing - maybe $1000 repair bill. I was a little surprised when the quote came in to replace the entire inside of the camera body - motherboard, shutter assembly, and sensor. The repair quote just shy of $3500. Also to my surprise Canon service told me the lens was undamaged.

Thankfully the insurance claim was honored and the entire repair was covered (minus $100 excess). I was paid out cash so I had a few options available to me including a 20% discount on buying a 5DIV from Canon Australia direct. After umming are arring for a few days including looking at a mirrorless system I decided to get my 5DsR repaired. I was basically looking at a complete new camera body with only the shell not being replaced. In fact I still would not be surprised to learn Canon would not just replace the camera with a new body seeing as the cost would be similar to them.

So lessons learned are - always take a second body when you are traveling to take photographs (accidents can happen), Canon L lenses are tough, never skimp on travel insurance and make sure it covers the equipment you are travelling with, and finally if the unfortunate does happen keep all documents to back up your insurance claim.

For myself, no physically harm in the fall and apart from a bruised ego I could use my 1Dx as my prime body and continue photographing with little interruption.

Hopefully Canon will have the repaired body back to me before Xmas.

Tricky
27-11-2016, 12:28am
Crikey. Good to hear you weren't hurt and that the holiday wasn't ruined due to only having one body. Remarkable that Canon wouldn't just replace the body.

paulheath
27-11-2016, 6:52am
glad to hear your ok and your "fall by the falls" didnt ruin your trip...
As for Canon it does not suprise me with the cost, as much as i love my Canon gear then can be a little.....ermmm ...pricey to repair , i lost the rubber "weather" seal from the hot shoe on my 600ex-rt, a know part that constantly falls off ( if you have one you will know which part ) ordered one from Canon ....$9....ok ok so not $3.5k but you get my point...bloody thing would cost 20c to make

bconolly
27-11-2016, 9:58am
Jeepers Brian! Glad to hear all ended well and hope the trip resulted in some good shots! Certainly deserve it after all the trauma!

Brenden

wmphoto
27-11-2016, 6:00pm
....never skimp on travel insurance and make sure it covers the equipment you are travelling with....

Often something overlooked by many travellers or not taken out at all (even for themselves). Glad it worked out for you.

John King
27-11-2016, 7:59pm
Struth, Brian!!

Glad that you were not hurt.

William W
28-11-2016, 11:51am
. . . In fact I still would not be surprised to learn Canon would not just replace the camera with a new body seeing as the cost would be similar to them.

I am not so sure that the costs to Canon Australia would be similar.

. . . Remarkable that Canon wouldn't just replace the body.

Not really.

Probably the right-off point of a repair job is based upon the Manufacturer's Recommended Re-sellers' Price.

For a 5DsR that was (is now?) around AUS$5,000, I think.

If $5k is close to the RRP, then less than 70% (that's quantifying as a cost to the customer NOT a cost to Canon Australia) for "repairs" is a probably a much better proposition for Canon than to replace the item with new.

The salient point is, Brian (unfortunately) sent the camera "in for repairs" as a result of a mishap, it might be a different scenario if the Customer had leverage, in so far as it was a warrantee claim.

I hope you get the camera back by Christmas and have many happy years with it.

WW

bricat
29-11-2016, 2:34am
Good to see everything worked out ok. Pity there was no photos of the "fall".
And thanks for sharing with the holiday season upon us a timely reminder about insurances

Glenda
29-11-2016, 7:29am
Glad you were okay and insurance covered the repairs. I've never had to test my travel insurance (thankfully) but hope it would also cover repairs.

Ross the fiddler
01-12-2016, 7:50pm
That was a pretty tough experience. The second (& third) bodies are a good idea to have, bit obviously not on you as fall though. Glad to know the insurance covered it anyhow.

Mark L
03-12-2016, 12:18am
The salient point is, Brian (unfortunately) sent the camera "in for repairs" as a result of a mishap, it might be a different scenario if the Customer had leverage, in so far as it was a warrantee claim.

How does that work for a camera full of water William??

Brian500au
03-12-2016, 5:14pm
Hi All

Got a message from Canon telling me parts are still two weeks away. Still cannot complain - at least it is fixable. Lucky I have another body (or two) as back ups. I did have the choice to buy another body at a 20% discount but I figure the body I was having repaired is as good as a new body anyway.

I could have bought into the 5DIV but I feel as I have a 1Dx, the 5DsR is a better pair. One for wildlife and one for landscape (although either will do both).

1st world problems - we are spoilt for choice in today's market.

William W
04-12-2016, 7:11pm

And

How does that work for a camera full of water William??

I don’t understand the question, Mark.

I was responding to Tricky’s comment,” Remarkable that Canon wouldn't just replace the body.”

I was saying that my opinion is that it is NOT remarkable that Canon would not replace the body BECAUSE Brian sent the Camera “in for repairs”.

I was saying that if there were the same amount of repairs (approx $3,500), then I think it WOULD BE REMARKABLE if Canon would not replace the body - if the camera were sent in for a “Warrantee Claim” (as opposed to “for repairs”).

Hope that make it clearer

Also spelling error here -

Probably the right-off point of a repair job is based upon the Manufacturer's Recommended Re-sellers' Price.
Should read
Probably the write-off point of a repair job is based upon the Manufacturer's Recommended Re-sellers' Price.

I could have bought into the 5DIV but I feel as I have a 1Dx, the 5DsR is a better pair.

I too would prefer the pairing of a 1Dx and 5DsR.

WW

Babu
05-12-2016, 1:17am
Hi Brian
I'm glad that your body survived the ordeal even if your pride suffered a bit at the time.
As your experience has amply demonstrated, equipment is replaceable (especially if you've organized adequate travel insurance).
I'm glad you opted to resurrect the 5DsR. I've recently bought a 1DX II to go with that camera and agree that they are a great team.
Hope you got some great Borneo shots with the other bodies.