PDA

View Full Version : I have $500 to spend on Canon gear - please help!

rexboggs5
22-11-2016, 9:08am
I recently purchased a Canon 5D Mark IV body and was given a $500 voucher to spend on Canon gear. It expires in about a week, so I have to decide what to get ASAP.

I am not sure how to spend the $$$ and was hoping for some suggestions. I have all of the lenses that I want, I have a 580 EXII flash and don't think getting the 600EX flash is that much of an upgrade. So not a lens and not a flash.

I don't think I have much use for a battery grip either. A few spare batteries would be nice, but they won't cost $500.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and Cheers

Rex

ameerat42
22-11-2016, 9:35am
As you've apparently attained the acme of the person who HAS EVERYthing,
what about getting some gear for SOMEBODY ELSE in your family. - Some reasonable
compact camera for a budding photographer...

ricktas
22-11-2016, 6:06pm
remote shutter release?

if you have plenty of batteries, get another charger.. so you can charge more of them at once

Mark L
22-11-2016, 9:29pm
Do you need a new printer???
https://store.canon.com.au/printers.html/

- - - Updated - - -

Or buy a gift card so you can decide later ..... https://store.canon.com.au/gift-cards/ :D

MarkChap
22-11-2016, 10:24pm
Hey Rex,
How did you manage the voucher when you bought the Mk IV ??

paulheath
23-11-2016, 6:46am
remote shutter release ( as per Ricks suggestion ) , canon angle finder if you want to get down low etc, Mic..if you wanna have a go at 4K videography..Filters, ND's, Grads's. Rapid Strap..a much more comfortable option in my opinion..

Cage
23-11-2016, 8:37am
I'd never be without a battery grip and the appropriate 'L' bracket.

Glenda
23-11-2016, 8:46am
Invest in a Nikon and you won't have that problem Rex:D

Mary Anne
23-11-2016, 9:02am
Buy memory cards and give them to AP as a Prize or Prizes for a Competition or two or three or more.

Warbler
23-11-2016, 3:55pm
Hey Rex,
How did you manage the voucher when you bought the Mk IV ??

I got one too Mark. Dale was very happy to sell both Mk IV's so quickly I think. My voucher expired on 1 November though. How come yours didn't Rex? I bought a Canon 1.4x TC Mk III with mine. I guess Rex could do the same, but he's already got an EF500 F4, so that might be a bit of over-kill.

He sent me another $20 voucher in the mail yesterday. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Buy memory cards and give them to AP as a Prize or Prizes for a Competition or two or three or more.

Canon don't make cards, and the voucher is for Canon gear only. I would have bought more cards too if I could use the voucher for non-Canon stuff. :( As it happened I had to buy two 64Gb CF cards from him and had to pay cash. He's a good bloke though and delivered the cards to me on a job. I bought him a beer for his trouble.

Morgo
23-11-2016, 5:12pm
Do have just one flash? If so I'd get another, one of the 600's.

MarkChap
23-11-2016, 6:03pm
So, what
Was the voucher something that Canon put on, as a bonus incentive to buiy a Mk IV or
Was it a voucher Camerahouse put on ??

I got one too Mark. Dale was very happy to sell both Mk IV's so quickly I think. My voucher expired on 1 November though. How come yours didn't Rex? I bought a Canon 1.4x TC Mk III with mine. I guess Rex could do the same, but he's already got an EF500 F4, so that might be a bit of over-kill.

He sent me another $20 voucher in the mail yesterday. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Canon don't make cards, and the voucher is for Canon gear only. I would have bought more cards too if I could use the voucher for non-Canon stuff. :( As it happened I had to buy two 64Gb CF cards from him and had to pay cash. He's a good bloke though and delivered the cards to me on a job. I bought him a beer for his trouble.

Warbler
23-11-2016, 6:59pm
I think Canon had a cashback, but as I don't have the voucher anymore, I can't tell you for sure. It was signed by Dale though and it specifically said Canon gear. As to whether it was just at Camera House, I don't recall. I spent it there anyway.

rexboggs5
24-11-2016, 4:19pm
Thanks for all of the replies. I don't have home internet at the moment (bloody Telstra) so I haven't been able to reply earlier.
The voucher says 30 November, thank goodness. It is from Camera House and I can only buy Canon accessories with it.
I'll check out the remote shutter release, though I can use an iphone app for that with the 5Dmk iv.
Also the angle finder - I've never heard of one.
I don't think the gift voucher qualifies as an accessory :-(

Cheers

Rex

Cage
24-11-2016, 4:42pm
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you don't see a use for a battery grip.

As I said above, I wouldn't be without one. Apart from doubling your available battery usage it also halves the times you need to recharge. And with the appropriate 'L' bracket you can mount your camera on your tripod in portrait mode when using lens without a rotatable tripod collar.

Mark L
24-11-2016, 8:04pm
I bought a Canon 1.4x TC Mk III with mine.

That does sound like a good idea.:)

rexboggs5
24-11-2016, 10:46pm
I compiled a list of possibilities from the suggestions on this discussion + I visited the B&H website and searched for 'Canon Accessories'. and wrote down a few from there. And then headed down to CameraHouse.

The list quickly got whittled down - between my friend Sue and I we have 4 Canon flashes (430 EX to 600 EX), I already have the 1.4X and 2X teleconverters, some things on the list didn't qualify as accessories (eg an extended warranty), some were over $500, etc.

In the end I bought 2 'nifty fiftys' at $200 each and gave one to Sue for a birthday present. I'll probably try to sell the other here in Rocky at a bargain price. And I bought a camera battery for $90, so I pretty much spent the $500 today.

Re the battery grip - I guess I never felt I needed one. Occasionally I have to mount my 16-35 or my 24-70 on my tripod in portrait mode and it is a bit of a nuisance to do so. But not enough to want to carry around another bit of gear. And it is rare that I have to change batteries during a photo shoot. Horses for courses, I guess.

Cheers and thanks for the discussion

Rex

Warbler
25-11-2016, 9:42am
Didn't go for the Angle-Finder then? Can't say I blame you. I've had on for over ten years now. Haven't used it for the last six or seven years. I used it for when I had the camera close to the ground, or when photographing the moon, but Live View eliminates that need for me these days. It might still be okay for your macro work, Rex, as it magnifies the viewfinder if you set it in that mode.

Tricky
25-11-2016, 9:53pm
I was about to reply "buy a Canon G1X or G15 type camera to keep in your pocket, for those times you don't have the DSLR kit with you"... but have just seen that you bought the two nifty fifties and battery!

Hamster
27-11-2016, 12:12am
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you don't see a use for a battery grip.

For me a camera and lens is already heavy enough without adding more bulk and weight. It takes seconds to change to a spare battery so why carry it around on the camera all the time? I've got an L bracket and being able to shift between landscape and portrait on an already levelled tripod is great. So I've added some bulk and weight, but nothing like a battery grip. What else does a battery grip do that I'm missing?

paulheath
27-11-2016, 6:00am
For me a camera and lens is already heavy enough without adding more bulk and weight. It takes seconds to change to a spare battery so why carry it around on the camera all the time? I've got an L bracket and being able to shift between landscape and portrait on an already levelled tripod is great. So I've added some bulk and weight, but nothing like a battery grip. What else does a battery grip do that I'm missing?

Depending on the Lens attached a battery grip can actually balance the camera and lens for a much better weight distribution... not so "front" heavy so too speak. can also assist if you have large hands like me as gives you a little more to ...well ...gets your hands on:nod: ..and you know what they say about big hands......big Gloves :lol:

Hamster
27-11-2016, 10:40am
Depending on the Lens attached a battery grip can actually balance the camera and lens for a much better weight distribution... not so "front" heavy so too speak. can also assist if you have large hands like me as gives you a little more to ...well ...gets your hands on:nod: ..and you know what they say about big hands......big Gloves :lol:

I guess I can see that. I have a 5d mkiii and with most lenses the pivot point of the system is just in front of the body, so this is where I put my left hand. I then put my elbow into my body and everything is balanced and ready to go. I would have thought that anything less balanced than a 70-200 probably needs a monopod, but then I've not tried every combo of body and lens [emoji3].
I've got big hands too (but a delicate touch ;-) ) which is why I find balancing the camera on my left fairly easy, and useful. As it allows my right to be just used for balance aid and able to roam around the controls.

Thanks for the thoughts.

rexboggs5
28-11-2016, 7:04am
I think with the Canon 5D IV that I can get an iPhone app that shows Live View on my phone. So I can put the camera really close to the ground and focus and take a shot by tapping on the screen.