PDA

View Full Version : I think I just landed an amateur "photoshoot"

*~Min~*
18-11-2016, 5:39pm
Hi all,

I'm posting out of excitement and a little bit of nervousness (but mostly excitement). You see, lately I've been perusing job websites for short-term casual employment (think babysitting, retail, etc) and I came across an interesting Photographer Wanted advert. I'm not a professional in any way, but enquired for this role as it caught my eye. I was really honest and mentioned my equipment and its limits, that I'm an amateur and am passionate about photography as a hobby. But I've received a reply, and it looks like I may be committing to a real-life photoshoot! The job is for a female bodybuilder who wants some nicer images of herself, just to get her name out there and eventually delve into product promotion and competitions. This is a whole other world for me, and I am so intrigued to experience it first-hand. The catch is, it's unpaid (which is totally fine - I probably wouldn't have applied if it was), BUT she is wanting to swap photos for one-on-one personal training sessions! The irony is, I'm unfit, unmotivated, and it is totally unlike me to move outside of my comfort zone to even apply for something like this let alone take up fitness training haha. But I figured, the new year is looming, it's a great opportunity to pursue, so what the hell! I'll be meeting with her next week to show her some of my photos so far (mostly of family and friends, but she's aware of that). So if you guys are interested, I'd love to get feedback on my first images--assuming it all goes ahead--and keep you all updated!

I am busting with excitement right now! Just had to share :)

Mary Anne
18-11-2016, 7:48pm
All the best with that and Thanks for Sharing..

CathyC
18-11-2016, 8:03pm
all the best with this :) would love to hear how you go with your first meeting :)

Claire M
18-11-2016, 8:37pm
It's a great opportunity Min, and I'm sure it will be a great learning curve! There's plenty of online reading and advice on the net too from a variety of photographer sites re Portrait and Sports Photography, incl one I really find useful - Digital Photography School's web site: http://digital-photography-school.com/tips/ (http://digital-photography-school.com/tips/) . All the best with the photo shoot (and your new fitness regime :D)

Steve Axford
18-11-2016, 9:10pm
Sounds like you may gain more than photographic experience. Good luck

*~Min~*
18-11-2016, 9:18pm
It's a great opportunity Min, and I'm sure it will be a great learning curve! There's plenty of online reading and advice on the net too from a variety of photographer sites re Portrait and Sports Photography, incl one I really find useful - Digital Photography School's web site: http://digital-photography-school.com/tips/ (http://digital-photography-school.com/tips/) . All the best with the photo shoot (and your new fitness regime :D)

Thanks so much for the tips Claire! And to everyone else for the added support!

Gazza
19-11-2016, 8:37am
Wonderful times indeed...don't forget to breath :D :D

tandeejay
19-11-2016, 4:12pm
Don't forget to charge your battery before the shoot... and clean the sensor.

Cage
19-11-2016, 4:27pm
Look for clean backgrounds and even lighting.

Good luck. :th3:

paulheath
19-11-2016, 9:25pm
well done and good luck.. if you need any help/tips etc just give me a call..happy to help if any is needed.

Mark L
19-11-2016, 9:54pm
So if you guys are interested, I'd love to get feedback on my first images--assuming it all goes ahead--and keep you all updated!

You must ask the lady if it's okay to post some photos from you first session on AP for help that can then be used to get better photos for the second session you have.:th3:

Good luck with the getting a bit fitter stuff.:th3: I gave up smoking in March and it's good to feel better.;) Step by step.

tandeejay
20-11-2016, 9:59am
Don't forget to charge your battery before the shoot... and clean the sensor.

And make sure you haven't left your SD card in the computer :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*~Min~*
20-11-2016, 8:09pm
Look for clean backgrounds and even lighting.

Good luck. :th3:

Good tips, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

well done and good luck.. if you need any help/tips etc just give me a call..happy to help if any is needed.

Much appreciated! I'll keep that in mind :)

- - - Updated - - -

You must ask the lady if it's okay to post some photos from you first session on AP for help that can then be used to get better photos for the second session you have.:th3:

Good luck with the getting a bit fitter stuff.:th3: I gave up smoking in March and it's good to feel better.;) Step by step.

I'll be sure to ask first, after all, getting some constructive criticism on my first images will only benefit her in the long run. It sounds like a longer term arrangement too with multiple opportunities as she wants to get into product promotion and competitions. We will see I guess! As for your giving up smoking, that is just fantastic Mark! I'm so glad to hear that you're seeing the benefits already :)

- - - Updated - - -

And make sure you haven't left your SD card in the computer :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All very valid points! I hope you're not speaking from personal experiences *cringes at the thought* but thanks for the reminders :)

NikonNellie
20-11-2016, 9:09pm
Good Luck Min! Don't forget to take some oil with you to put on her skin to give that "just worked out" look :D. Make sure you write a list ahead of time, of what to take on the day. Do lots of research beforehand to get some ideas and camera settings. BE CONFIDENT - it makes a big difference in how your client will act around you. Take control of the shoot especially if you have some solid ideas of what you want to do but you also need to take into account of what the client's expectations are.:)

aussirose
21-11-2016, 9:31am
Well sound like you have nothing to lose.... well except for a bit of weight :D
How exciting. Can't wait to see your photos! :)

feathers
21-11-2016, 11:36am
All the best Min:th3: Sounds like a fun challenge.:) Cheers

*~Min~*
22-11-2016, 8:32am
Good Luck Min! Don't forget to take some oil with you to put on her skin to give that "just worked out" look :D. Make sure you write a list ahead of time, of what to take on the day. Do lots of research beforehand to get some ideas and camera settings. BE CONFIDENT - it makes a big difference in how your client will act around you. Take control of the shoot especially if you have some solid ideas of what you want to do but you also need to take into account of what the client's expectations are.:)

Thank you for all the great advice! I've started looking into poses and fitness photography so I have a few ideas. I'm meeting her for coffee beforehand so we can swap ideas too

Hamster
06-12-2016, 4:48pm
Sounds like a useful exchange. NN already covered the oil, maybe a water spray with a mist setting for a bit of fake beaded sweat, or is that a bit cliche:D

*~Min~*
06-12-2016, 6:54pm
Update: she hasn't responded to my last messages (after organising a meeting place to review my photos and everything and then not telling me a time) so doesn't seem to be going ahead..so this was all a bit disappointing but oh well. If it changes, I'll let you know but I'm not overly hopeful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hamster
06-12-2016, 8:59pm
You know, if you want models to practice on there will be some in your area who will work on a "time for prints basis"

Brian500au
06-12-2016, 11:30pm
Try Model Mayhem. There are plenty of amatuer models who would gladly trade TFP.

if you are a just starting out in this area then you can hire a professional model on MM. Just let them know you are starting out and you want an experienced model to work with you. If you get the right model you will learn so much in one session and a great way to build confidence.

binnie
22-01-2017, 10:00pm
Congratulations! It sounds like a fantastic opportunity to get yourself out there and out of your confirm zone! Let us know how you go

- - - Updated - - -

Update: she hasn't responded to my last messages (after organising a meeting place to review my photos and everything and then not telling me a time) so doesn't seem to be going ahead..so this was all a bit disappointing but oh well. If it changes, I'll let you know but I'm not overly hopeful.

Just saw this post... thats a shame. I had a similar experience and its always disappointing. Hopefully you continue to put yourself out there and another opportunity comes your way.

*~Min~*
24-01-2017, 7:49am
Just saw this post... thats a shame. I had a similar experience and its always disappointing. Hopefully you continue to put yourself out there and another opportunity comes your way.

Thanks for your encouragement Binnie. I'll certainly keep myself open to such opportunities but life has certainly gotten in the way of my photography of late. Think I'll join a club once things fall into place a little more [emoji4]