PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for camera store in Sydney

Physioz
01-11-2016, 11:15am
Looking for help to find a good photographic shop (I'm a relative newbie to Sydney so I'm not sure about the numerous photographic stores).

My considerations are:
So, Sydney bricks and mortar as opposed to online;
Must be Canon as I'm too heavily invested in their ecosystem to change;
I have no interest in grey imports and want Australian stock with an Australian warranty;
Salespeople *really* know their cameras;
Decent after-sales service of more importance than a small discount on the initial price.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated - thanks in anticipation

ameerat42
01-11-2016, 11:29am
:umm:Hmm! Sydney!?:eek:
Hmm! Recommendations!?:umm:

OK, well there are about 4 major-ish stores in the city: Georges, Ted's, DCW, DigiDirect...
as well as a slew in the suburbs. (FI, there are some other camera repair shops too.)

Perhaps for the warranty you might want the 1st two, as I'm not sure about the others.
They look OK, but maybe you can ask. - But this is not a recommendation of any of them.

Maybe try direct from Canon via their website?

Below is a Google search link that saves a lot of typing here...:D
"camera stores sydney" yielded:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=camera+stores+sydney&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=b98XWIO-H87u8wfTmpL4Bw#q=camera+stores+sydney&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=-33871755,151206203,283&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2,lf_pqs:EAE

Physioz
01-11-2016, 11:49am
:umm:Hmm! Sydney!?:eek:

Below is a Google search link that saves a lot of typing here...:D
"camera stores sydney" yielded:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=camera+stores+sydney&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=b98XWIO-H87u8wfTmpL4Bw#q=camera+stores+sydney&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=-33871755,151206203,283&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2,lf_pqs:EAE

Thanks, but done already. Which ones of those are any good? Or where do experienced photographers/professionals get their gear in Sydney?

ameerat42
01-11-2016, 12:03pm
...Which ones of those are any good? Or where do experienced photographers/professionals get their gear in Sydney?...

As I said, try them. This means "you really must go and try them". Each has a "professional" department (of the 4 in town).

I'm not a "professional", but I have some experience. I have been to all four of them. They've been there a long time and have not
gone bust. (Well, one, maybe, but they were not in the city.)

If I can relate a bit of my experience: they can all deal with you at your level.

That's the only recommendation I will give.

torro
01-11-2016, 5:03pm
I can recommend paxtons, can price match.

red2thebones
02-11-2016, 10:20pm
My experience so far with Digi Direct and Ted's have been quite good, no complains.
Staff are knowledgeable, well at least the ones I've dealt with and are not "pushy".

William W
09-11-2016, 9:08am
Looking for help to find a good photographic shop (I'm a relative newbie to Sydney so I'm not sure about the numerous photographic stores). . .
[lists criteria] . . . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated - thanks in anticipation

What is it that you think that you want to buy?

. . . where do experienced photographers/professionals get their gear in Sydney?

I have major purchases with (in no particular order): Kayell; Georges; DigiDirect; DDP; Ted's; JB Hi Fi; and Harvey Norman and minor purchases from a raft of others stores.

Stores vary apropos their business model and staff come and go - and have good days and not so good days. As has already been mentioned, putting in the leg work and trying a few from the list will allow you to find what best fits your general needs.

If one is professional and/or very experienced then it is less likely that the same criteria that you listed would be applicable; hence the relevance of the question, above.

WW

GTV6FLETCH
17-08-2017, 8:42pm
Have found digidirect to be great. They happily price match and are helpful.