PDA

View Full Version : America ...... land of the paranoid

bobt
21-10-2016, 3:00pm
I just returned from the US, and before they'd let me in had to answer the usual range of screening questions. Some of them are getting a tad silly .... such as :-

1) are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities? (Yeah, right ..... I can imagine all the crooks fessing up to this one on the spot!)

2) have you ever been involved in espionage or sabotage or in terrorist activities or genocide? (So they expect all terrorists to put their hands up and say "It's a fair cop - you caught me! I was planning on genocide, but ... well ...... you got me on that one)

3) in between 1933 and 1945 were you involved in any way in persecution associated with Nazi Germany or its allies? (Say what ???? Talk about holding a grudge!!!)

Once I've answered all of these, then I have to sign a statement waiving my rights to review or appeal if they decide they don't like me!!! Nothing like a fair process - not!

Even before we got within a bull's roar of the US coast, Qantas announces that America doesn't like us congregating, so no-one was to gather in groups of more than 2 near the toilets in case it upsets any Americans who might be watching. F%$# off .... it's an Australian plane - wait until we land at least before you start dictating what we can do!!!

...... and they wonder why people don't like them. Sheesh. I had to go through the scanners 3 times because I had tissues in my pocket ..... probably thought I was engaging in germ warfare.

Passing through customs in the US is just not worth the hassle .... I'd rather go someplace else.

ameerat42
21-10-2016, 3:22pm
Ewe can say that again! Once in, though, it's quite OK. - Though that's only on the basis of Alaska.
Yeah, you stand in front of 'em and they talk about you in the 3rd person - hey, Mongo! - and when not,
talk AT you instead of TO you. Yeah, immigration/border security/whatever they're called:rolleyes:

Don't worry, Bob! We'll be as stupid as that here soon enough, I reckon.

bobt
21-10-2016, 4:10pm
Don't worry, Bob! We'll be as stupid as that here soon enough, I reckon.

If Trump gets in we'll all be stuffed. Interestingly, i came across the first person I've spoken to who not only likes Trump but also liked Tony Abbott! Not only was she delusional, she was Australian!

Ionica
21-10-2016, 6:15pm
Some Americans may be caught out with one of those , if they were questioned.

Mark L
21-10-2016, 8:08pm
Some Americans may be caught out with one of those , if they were questioned.

Stuff that, it's to subtle.

Have you engaged in criminal or immoral activities?
Yes.
You can stand to be President then.

Brian500au
22-10-2016, 11:07am
You forgot to mention the lack of humor displayed by passport control.

These guys just do not get it - when you have just flown 20+ hours and have gone through security checks twice even before you land in the US, why can't they understand us Aussies like to "crack" a joke or two when we line up to show our passports. I just cannot help myself - and contrary to my wifes warnings I went one joke too far last time and ended up sitting in the back room for 3 hours as punishment (just so I would miss my connecting flight). I have since learnt to bite my tongue.

I recently read US passport control officers were being sent to Thailand to learn how to smile and greet passengers at airports. I still won't be cracking jokes on the way in next time!!!!

bobt
22-10-2016, 11:37am

You're not kidding! I have the same experience - they've all had humour by-pass operations, had their facial muscles paralysed in case of inadvertent smiling and simply haven't a clue what it means to be friendly!

I understand that they're all a bit paranoid about people wanting to blow them up, but someone should tell them that people would be less inclined to wish them ill if they just made some effort to be pleasant and welcoming!! You put a uniform on some people and it turns them into the most unlikable people you could hope to meet.

I've decided not to bother going there any more - it's not worth the angst.

Boo53
22-10-2016, 1:04pm
If you get a chance listen to this "Jon Faine conversation hour" interview with Australian Citizen (born in Iran to Iraqi parents) Comedian Osama Sami. Us of European background have enough trouble with Septics - we thought

https://soundcloud.com/774-abc-melbourne/the-conversation-hour-with-jon-faine-friday-september-9-2016

bobt
22-10-2016, 3:26pm
If you get a chance listen to this "Jon Faine conversation hour" interview with Australian Citizen (born in Iran to Iraqi parents) Comedian Osama Sami. Us of European background have enough trouble with Septics - we thought

https://soundcloud.com/774-abc-melbourne/the-conversation-hour-with-jon-faine-friday-september-9-2016

I had a look, but the sound didn't seem to reflect what the text said it was about, so i gave up. 8*(

ameerat42
22-10-2016, 4:04pm
Remember, it's a specific genre of gentlefolk we're discussing, not generalisations on national leanings.

Hawthy
22-10-2016, 4:29pm
Customs at LAX can be intimidating after a 14-hour flight. Lots of high-power guns on display and officers shouting "USA. USA." and pointing to lines for US citizens and then berating people who don't speak English for getting in the wrong line. It is quite confusing. Just play it straight and answer the questions and you will be fine. Once in the country, I have found most Americans to be very warm and welcoming. As a plus, they just love Aussies. God only knows why sometimes though.

In contrast, US Customs in Hawaii is a breeze with the very friendly officers there giving us tips on what to see, etc.

The Americans probably take exception to being sprayed with insecticide after landing in Australia. I know that I do.

bobt
22-10-2016, 9:38pm
The Americans probably take exception to being sprayed with insecticide after landing in Australia. I know that I do.

Yeah ... I used to hate that too. Hasn't happened for several years now - unless it's just on certain flights.

Cage
22-10-2016, 9:59pm
If Trump gets in we'll all be stuffed. Interestingly, i came across the first person I've spoken to who not only likes Trump but also liked Tony Abbott! Not only was she delusional, she was Australian!

Her name wasn't Pauline, was it? ;)

I @ M
23-10-2016, 8:06am

These guys just do not get it - when you have just flown 20+ hours and have gone through security checks twice even before you land in the US, why can't they understand us Aussies like to "crack" a joke or two when we line up to show our passports. I just cannot help myself - and contrary to my wifes warnings I went one joke too far last time and ended up sitting in the back room for 3 hours as punishment (just so I would miss my connecting flight). I have since learnt to bite my tongue.

I recently read US passport control officers were being sent to Thailand to learn how to smile and greet passengers at airports. I still won't be cracking jokes on the way in next time!!!!

Perhaps in the spirit of a "free trade agreement" us orziees should educate visitors from the US to the subtleties of our sense of humour.
I propose that we have special members from our Border Farce ( dressed in singlets, board shorts and flip flops with a holstered boomerang ) stationed at all airports to direct Americans towards a sign that reads " Entry point for US passport holders 1.609344 kilomtres this way.
On arrival at the single desk you will be required to accurately state your height in centimetres and your weight in kilograms. Current delay, 3 hours." ;)

bobt
23-10-2016, 8:46am
Perhaps in the spirit of a "free trade agreement" us orziees should educate visitors from the US to the subtleties of our sense of humour. I propose that we have special members from our Border Farce ( dressed in singlets, board shorts and flip flops with a holstered boomerang ) stationed at all airports

I can almost hear the "snap" of the rubber gloves as they prepare a "special" security check for you! :D

Brian500au
23-10-2016, 10:57am
Perhaps in the spirit of a "free trade agreement" us orziees should educate visitors from the US to the subtleties of our sense of humour.
I propose that we have special members from our Border Farce ( dressed in singlets, board shorts and flip flops with a holstered boomerang ) stationed at all airports to direct Americans towards a sign that reads " Entry point for US passport holders 1.609344 kilomtres this way.
On arrival at the single desk you will be required to accurately state your height in centimetres and your weight in kilograms. Current delay, 3 hours." ;)

Now that is classic Ozzie humor :lol:

bricat
23-10-2016, 6:38pm
We travelled from Vancouver (Canada) to Seattle (USA) via hire car on a trip. As we approached the border a line of cars 3 miles long and 6 deep appeared. Fortunately we went into the hire car lane and nearly straight through. Our driver told us there would be a 3 hour wait for those people. There was a similar que on the return journey.
PS. I did crack a joke in this pokey little border post but it went straight through to the keeper. I must have been lucky. Cheers Brian

ameerat42
23-10-2016, 7:17pm
Brain. You think that's bad? - Have you ever been in gridlock in Sydney? (Or Melbourne, I'd imagine.)
- And there's not even a border to cross. Yep! Lunacy knows no bounds:rolleyes:

Liney
21-11-2016, 10:31pm
When I sat my citizenship test (yes I was originally a POM....) I had to answer similar questions. First one was something like "have you ever been expelled from a country?" Answer No, next question.

Have you ever been a member of an organisation that intended to plot against Australia? Well we had various sporting supporters clubs, but I guess that's a No too.

Final question, have you ever been trained in the use of arms or explosives, been part of a militia, paramilitary police force, etc. etc. At this point I had to tick the Yes box, being an ex serviceman. This caused much consternation as they hadn't had anyone answer "yes" before....

So I had to give details, years, etc, at which point I was tempted to list the commanding officer as "Mrs Betty Windsor, c/o The Big House, The Mall London" but thought better of it.

bobt
22-11-2016, 6:35am
When I sat my citizenship test (yes I was originally a POM....) I had to answer similar questions.

I don't remember having to answer questions when I was naturalised (I'm an ex Pom as well). I think in those days they accepted that we poms were going to raise the National Quality Index just by agreeing to grace these colonial shores ...... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bally
17-12-2016, 2:40pm
American airports are a pain. I lived in the US for about two years. Dealt with every government department from the DMV to TSA and Homeland security. All in the day to day of being a foreign national. None were much worse than dealing with local government here. What i would most like to say is that the normal american is one of the warmest and most welcoming people i have met in my global travels. I was invited into homes and social groups freely and warmly. Their views of Australia were as coloured as mine of America. Half my joy in being there was working through all of that. I would have stayed longer had their political system not been so screwed. Unfortunately i kinda feel ours is just as pooched. Hug an American today. They hug back

bobt
17-12-2016, 4:49pm
What i would most like to say is that the normal american is one of the warmest and most welcoming people i have met in my global travels.

Yeah .. I've heard that. Unfortunately, the ones who travel seem to be just the opposite! We cruise a lot, and the American passengers are always the loudest, the fattest, the rudest and the most irritating over all. They never say "please" or "thank-you", they treat the crew like slaves and they haven't a clue about anything apart from how everything they have is bigger, faster, more expensive and more likely to be seen with bullets in than everyone else on the planet. Of course I realise that some Australians can be equally obnoxious, but as a broad generalisation the Yanks have a bit of a name out there!

I have heard that the ones who stay home are much nicer, but of course I only tend to see the cruisers. I have met some Americans who pretended to be Canadians because they knew what a reputation the Americans had - and on my most recent cruise we sat with some who wanted to watch the Presidential debate on the telly, but were afraid to see it in one of the lounge areas because they thought other Americans would embarrass them!

It makes you realise how important it is to be "nice" when traveling because not only can your behavior reflect on you - it can reflect on the whole of Australia!!

jim
17-12-2016, 6:23pm
Have to second that Americans in America are amazingly friendly and welcoming. And most of the people I met there were pretty well informed about the world too, which goes against the stereotype.

I should also say that when I have to be obnoxious while overseas I usually make out that I'm Australian, which helps preserve our national reputation.

Mark L
17-12-2016, 7:32pm
I have to admit that I only know one American. He's the one circled in this photo ...... http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/story/1924053/the-day-the-world-changed/

I have to admit a saying my mother drummed into us was 50 years ago was "if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all." And some people think PC is a new thing. :Doh:

bobt
17-12-2016, 9:34pm
I have to admit a saying my mother drummed into us was 50 years ago was "if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all."

Generally I'd agree, but by the same token - sometimes staying silent can be interpreted as acceptance or condoning certain behaviour. There's something to be said for calling a spade a spade, provided that there is sufficient balance. Various races have stereotypes, but we don't suggest that those characteristics apply to everyone in a specific culture. Ozzies have certain reputations as well, and I find those equally offensive.

Bally
17-12-2016, 10:13pm
Yeah the travelling american is a bit like the yahoo aussie in bali. Judge the individual.

- - - Updated - - -

PS how good is the cricket.

Mark L
17-12-2016, 10:27pm
PS how good is the cricket.

Not so good if you have Pakistan heritage. And if your American, "W.T.F. are you talking about?"

bricat
18-12-2016, 2:57am
Editor of the "Mudgee Guardian ". Do you still circle the wagons at 7pm every night? And how Many pages? 2. Front and back. :D