PDA

View Full Version : QLD in January

Filter
21-10-2016, 11:53am
Hi all, I am planning a trip to Cairns & a bit beyond in January. From what I am reading the humidity is very high then. Coming from a low humidity place I am looking for tip's & advice on how I can look after my camera & take photo's.

Cheers Filter.

Warbler
21-10-2016, 2:08pm
Travelling in an airconditioned car will mean foggy lenses when you get out to take a picture in high humidity. Usually only a problem when it's either raining or about to, but in Cairns in January, it will be raining.

Claire M
21-10-2016, 8:30pm
Also, buying some small Silica Gel (desiccant) packets/sachets to put in your camera case (alongside your camera, usually 2 or 3 is enough) is a good idea too - as they provide an effective way of protecting against moisture and humidity during transit and storage, and are fairly cheap to buy.

Mark L
21-10-2016, 9:15pm
Travelling in an airconditioned car will mean foggy lenses when you get out to take a picture in high humidity. Usually only a problem when it's either raining or about to, but in Cairns in January, it will be raining.
Any clues on how Filter can get around them foggy lenses faster?

Warbler
22-10-2016, 6:41am
Any clues on how Filter can get around them foggy lenses faster?

Well, keep your gear from being chilled by the aircon, or carry a dry soft cloth to wipe it down with. If filters is going to take it sight-seeing then don't just leave it sitting on the seat where it will chill.

Filter
22-10-2016, 3:54pm
It seems that if I keep my gear in the boot I should be right for happy snapping. My wife on a mission to find me a few waterfalls...lol

bricat
23-10-2016, 6:21pm
Ha. What is it about waterfalls. My wife has taken me to every waterfall this side of the black stump. And about half the other side. Cheers Brian

martycon
23-10-2016, 7:35pm
I am sure you will enjoy the "wet" in Cairns. Luxuriant growth, and small creatures in abundance. As for the effects of humidity, for yourself, bare as much skin as possible and move slowly. Yes it rains in Cairns, but not continuously, except in monsoon or tropical low events. As for your gear, Feathers may reply, and I think lives north of Cairns. In Mackay, my 30 yo Canon gear has not suffered that I am aware of.
cheers marty