PDA

View Full Version : New to filters

*~Min~*
21-09-2016, 6:47am
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased two screw on filters - B+W CPL and 6-stop ND. I haven't had a decent chance to experiment yet, but I wanted to know a) people's views on stacking these two filters; and b) does order of stacking matter? I was thinking about waterfall shots in particular, where it may be an advantage to cut reflections and slow down the shutter.

ameerat42
21-09-2016, 8:06am
No, the order won't matter (optically, ie).

I don't know what you mean by "views". Perhaps as ND filters?
The CPL should be about a stop.

About reflections: PLs (whether Circular or Linear) cut reflections where the reflected
light is itself polarised. In the case of running water, the effect may not be as pronounced
during the exposure time involved because the angle of the reflected light
from the water will be always changing.

It sounds an interesting shot to try, though, and I look forward to your results.

*~Min~*
21-09-2016, 12:40pm
I don't know what you mean by "views".

Sorry, should have been more clear. I mean views as in for or against stacking these two filters. Like will it result in poorer image quality, etc.

And thanks for the point regarding waterfall shoots. That makes sense. I'll experiment and let you know the results!

Mark L
21-09-2016, 9:14pm
I don't know what you mean by "views".

Simply asking peoples thoughts.:confused013
My not experienced thoughts are that the ND filter will be helpful with waterfalls and the light will decide the worth of the CPL. As AM points out the CPL give another stops exposure though.
Don't forget to try and take some real time photos of the water as is. I'm a bit over the OOF flowing water looks wonderful stuff. (Mark ducks for cover)

*~Min~*
05-12-2016, 9:53pm
It sounds an interesting shot to try, though, and I look forward to your results.

Sorry for the late reply, but it took me awhile getting around to using both filters at once. Here I've used my CPL and ND filters to capture a waterfall in NZ (more photos to come!). Would love your CC on this one:

Cheers,
Min

ameerat42
06-12-2016, 6:29am
Me? I reckon it looks good. The cascading water is well placed. You have achieved the milky white
velar look, and it looks a nice "natural" daylight shot. That last part, if anything, is what you could
perhaps change to make all but the water slightly darker. (So that the vegetation doesn't compete
with the falls.)

Two easyish ways if you can do what I tried in Photoshop:
1) Two layers, Multiply blend with opacity down to 30.
2) Use Levels adjustment, trying the shadows and/or midtones slightly darkened.

*~Min~*
06-12-2016, 8:45am
Two easyish ways if you can do what I tried in Photoshop:
1) Two layers, Multiply blend with opacity down to 30.
2) Use Levels adjustment, trying the shadows and/or midtones slightly darkened.

Oh thanks for the tips, I will have to try them both out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark L
08-12-2016, 9:53pm
[QUOTE=*~Min~*;1388852] Would love your CC on this one:
/QUOTE]

Put the photo in the landscape forum for more CC maybe.;)

*~Min~*
09-12-2016, 7:01pm
[QUOTE=*~Min~*;1388852] Would love your CC on this one:
/QUOTE]

Put the photo in the landscape forum for more CC maybe.;)

Thanks Mark, I will get to it. Just trying to post my NZ photos in some kind of order, so I keep on track :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk