PDA

View Full Version : Question on legality etc. sale of artwork

thegrump
18-09-2016, 12:03pm
Back in the early 70's, I hand copied artwork from advertisements in a newspaper. These were done on top quality paper in ink, using nib and brush. I am thinking of selling some. Can I advertise these as original artwork, original artwork ( copied from etc ). or what ????

Lance B
18-09-2016, 12:54pm
Even though you copied them, the work is your work and I would have thought that was ok to sell as "original art work". I could be wrong, though. Best to get legal advice.

Nice work, by the way.

thegrump
18-09-2016, 12:56pm
Thanks Lance

ameerat42
18-09-2016, 1:37pm
Such an artistic flair for flares, TG:p:p

Claire M
18-09-2016, 5:40pm
Hi Grump :) If you drew these from a photograph or another drawn print and there are subtle differences from the originals, then because these lovely ink drawings are your own interpretation of the original artworks, I can't see a problem with you selling them at all. I would sign these (even if it's a tiny signature) BTW. A lot of artists sell art that they have sketched from photos, whether they are famous landmarks or famous people (photographed by someone else) and publically display them in markets and galleries.
As Lance has said, if you're still not sure or comfortable about where you stand legally, then ask some advice, preferably from people or companies that sell art.

Mark L
18-09-2016, 8:30pm
Back in the early 70's, I hand copied artwork from advertisements in a newspaper.

If your drawings are as the original image appeared then the original image copyright trumps your drawings.
If, as I suspect, your drawings are an interpretation and look distinctly different to the original image then things may be okay.
More copyright research required.

ameerat42
19-09-2016, 7:37am
Alas! Seems it's all a matter of where you draw the line, TG:(

thegrump
19-09-2016, 10:44am
Actually, I drew the line in taxpayers time, when I worked for the MMBW......

arthurking83
20-09-2016, 6:08am
Actually, I drew the line in taxpayers time, when I worked for the MMBW......

Aha!
I knew some of them must've been doing some work .. some where!

.. just never the work they were getting paid for! :p