PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new here and have a question on lenses

Dee05
28-08-2016, 11:50pm
Hello, I'm new here and look forward to learning some tips etc. I have a question on a Nikon lens if I please may ask:
i own an old Nikon D90 and and looking to buy a 85 mm f1.4 lens but as I cannot afford the newer one I have the opportunity to buy a Nikon Af D series 85 mm f1.4. I have enquired with the seller if it will suit my camera and I'm told that as my camera has an Fx sensor, the lens will be magnified to 110 mm or 127 mm and that I should check out the specs of my camera I'm really amateur so I'm not sure what an fx Sensor is and if it will suit my camera and if the autofocus will still work. I'm after a sharp portrait lens. Thank you for any assistance.

ricktas
29-08-2016, 6:45am
Welcome to AP.

An 85mm lens is just that. It doesn't suddenly and magically become an different lens when put on a different camera.

what changes is the field of view : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Focal_Length_vs_Crop_Factor

See you and your photo on the forums soon

Mary Anne
29-08-2016, 7:57am
Hello Dee and Welcome to AP, and there you go your Question has been answered already.
Plenty more to learn here so join right in and start posting your images on the Forums for cc.
You will get lots of help on this Forum. You can have a go at commenting on other Members posts also :2smile:

bitsnpieces
29-08-2016, 12:34pm
Hello and welcome to AP :)

Mark L
29-08-2016, 9:05pm
G'day Dee05, welcome to a good place to learn.:th3:
Don't be afraid to make comments and ask question, it's what makes forums work.
I know Rick has help above but you'll probably get more responses if you post the lens question here ... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?17-Nikon:th3:

jro
29-08-2016, 10:23pm
Welcome to this site Dee05.

Cage
29-08-2016, 10:45pm
The AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4D is a well regarded lens and reputably sharp as a tack.

Your D90 is a DX (1.5 crop) camera and as Rick said, an 85mm lens is still an 85mm lens, regardless of what camera it is on. It was designed for full frame cameras (FX) however with the 1.5 crop factor of the DX sensor your field of view becomes the same as a 127.5mm lens on a full frame (FX) camera.

If in the future you move to a full frame camera it will be a very good acquisition.

Dee05
30-08-2016, 1:37pm
Hi Rick, thanks for your advice. After a bit of googling to understand some things, i have now found out that the lens has been sold :(

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks David :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I was trying to thank you all personally but my messages are going elsewhere. The lens has now been sold. I look forward to learning from you in the future. Cheers :)