PDA

View Full Version : Apple I-Phone WOES

ameerat42
23-08-2016, 8:44pm
Oh, WOE is me!:(:(

I'm doing a crash course in iPhone (5). Here's the problem:
It says there's ~16GB of internal storage, but I'm down to ~ 1GB.

On looking through the options (silly me, I thought there was a storage card inside it:rolleyes:)
it seems I can ONLY back up to an I-cloud ---- or something like that. Thing is, there are NOT that
many pictures in the phone (a couple of dozen or so). What the [cheese*] is it storing?:confused013
What would I even be able to upload?:confused013

Any pointers would be appreciated. I have already decided I would NEVER - no, that's too soon - get an
iPhone.

Why all this bother? The person involved is a visitor, with a Nikon Exilim capable of 14 MP output that is
ABsolute CARP, and an iPhone that's significantly better (and even with less MPx). The first has ACRES of
storage, the iPhone not much left.

Ta.
Am(a bit like :crzy:).
*You may choose another word.

piczzilla
23-08-2016, 8:58pm
Not sure if this would help. I had this exact problem with my Samsung awhile ago. Very few things were stored in the phone, yet the storage was indicated as full :eek: After asking some advice from Dr. Google, I realized the phone was in fact full with junks (junks from app installations, cache, etc). So, Dr. Google told me to download some cleaner app (I used Clean Master), and voila! All good.

ameerat42
23-08-2016, 9:41pm
Ta Picz. I'd probably do something like that, but since it's not my phone I would not
like to try it. The pics I can see inside it only take up 300MB of 16GB storage:confused013

MissionMan
23-08-2016, 9:48pm
Go to settings - general - storage & iCloud usage - manage storage. It will show you where the storage is being used so you know what needs to be deleted to clear out the space.

Also remember that the phone is 16GB but the OS takes up a portion so they won't have the full 16GB available.

Gazza
23-08-2016, 9:48pm
Stupid question, but have ya tried turning it off and back on again? .... works for 99% of all problems, that, and hit it with a hammer :D

Cheers - :beer_mug:

MissionMan
23-08-2016, 9:49pm
Stupid question, but have ya tried turning it off and back on again? .... works for 99% of all problems, that, and hit it with a hammer :D

Cheers - :beer_mug:

Avoid the hammer trick with phones. Doesn't work that well.

piczzilla
23-08-2016, 9:53pm
Am, sorry for not mentioning the details - I actually only used the app once before uninstalling it. It cleared up almost 10 GB of junks, and I haven't had any need for it again since.

ameerat42
23-08-2016, 10:41pm
Ta guys. MM, I checked that, but as it meant little to me and as it was not mine, I did not change anything.
I came up with a logical analog of the hammer - ignore the phone for pics and use a camera instead. As I said,
it's not mine.

jim
24-08-2016, 12:24am
You're not going to be doing this with somebody else's phone of course, but when an iPhone starts to fill up like that the best solution is to back it up, then blank it and reinstall everything. Only takes a few minutes and usually makes a big difference.

16 GB is painfully little storage for a phone these days though. My phone is 16 GB and I've had to more or less give up on keeping photos on it.

JJM
24-08-2016, 7:16am
Couple of things to check.

If the phone has been used to send lots of picture/video messages this can chew up the memory real fast. I recently cleaned up 5GB just by deleting SMS messages. (Warning if the user hasn't saved said images from messages they will be gone for ever!)

The phone user may have deleted old photos and videos but they may not have deleted them from the deleted items folder in the gallery, this also contributes to storage used.

Suggest user copies all images important to them to a cloud storage site via and iphone app, i.e. dropbox, onedrive, photobucket etc etc.

ameerat42
24-08-2016, 8:35am
Ta Jim and also Jeremy. That looks exactly like what's needed. I will let the owner know, but meanwhile I have supplied a camera for her to use.
The phone's IQ is questionable.

thegrump
24-08-2016, 4:18pm
speaking of Apple and iPod, I received a popup from apple this morning for a update. As I have been doing this for years, I clicked ok. It down loaded the update and then asked me if I wanted to down load cloud, I said yes, it downloaded and switched off to reboot. The reboot came up with the motherboard info and then nothing...........My computer is in the shop for a few days.

ameerat42
24-08-2016, 4:57pm
Sounds like a severe case of BAD APPLE!:angry34: