PDA

View Full Version : Beyond point and shoot

ajae
22-08-2016, 10:11am
Hi folks,

I've decided to take the leap and engage myself in the complex hobby of DSLR photography! Over the years I've attempted to understand it, but gave up in the belief that it was beyond me. But this time I'll give it my all and approach the subject with all the gusto my feeble intellect can muster - with lots of help from you guys, of course!
My DSLR is an Olympus E-500 with no special lenses or even filters. I'd like to work with it as is initially, to see what I can produce. My main interest is in landscape photography and I will be re-visiting NZ's South Island in November to get some better shots of the magnificent scenery there (mainly west coast and alps).
I recently borrowed a few photography books from the library which have been helpful. But I've recently discovered this site's NYP forum and the self-paced learning plan which is exactly what I need. So finding this site and forum has encouraged me greatly and I look forward to engaging with you all.
Cheers, Ajae (Amanda)
:ologo:

Cage
22-08-2016, 11:18am
Welcome to AP Amanda.

Were a pretty friendly and helpful group so never be afraid to ask a question, even if you think it is very basic. I'll admit to asking some pretty dorky questions during my time here.

Photography is all about understanding and using light, either natural, or enhanced with a flash etc.

The sensor in your camera is the digital equivalent of film and the big advantage is that you can review your shot immediately instead of waiting to have the film processed. This means you can take lots of shots with different settings till you are happy with them, for free. :efelant:

The three main settings are ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. There are some very good explanations of the part they all play in the tutorials.

Have a look at this http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Sunny_16_and_exposure_guides to see how they all play a part in how your image comes out.

The first thing I'd suggest is to look at holding your camera correctly. It all starts right there, particularly as your camera doesn't seem to have shake reduction.

Looking forward to your first post for CC, and please don't be afraid to comment on others images. Sometimes the more advanced shooters get so bogged down with the technical side of things that they miss seeing the forest for the trees.

Happy shooting.:th3:

ricktas
22-08-2016, 11:51am
Welcome to AP Amanda. Join in and learn. See you and your photos on the forums soon.

ameerat42
22-08-2016, 3:41pm
Hi Amanda. Welcome to AP.

Yep to the above...

Mary Anne
22-08-2016, 5:46pm
Hello Amamda ::action66: and Welcome to AP..
Plenty to learn here post some images on the Forums for cc, that's a great way to learn and have a go at commenting at other Members posts also.
Interesting reading in the New to Photography Book (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) though you have probably had a look at that.
Lots of Competitions to enter and there is always The Weekly Challenge (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?193-Member-Challenges-52-2016) something different every week :2smile:

John King
22-08-2016, 8:26pm
Gidday Amanda

Your E-500 can produce excellent results. Lovely colours possible with that Kodak CCD sensor. 8 MPx is more than adequate for A2 size prints. I have printed A2 from my 5 MPx E-1 ... :D.

Mark L
22-08-2016, 10:26pm
G'day and welcome aboard Amanda.:th3:
Reckon the best way for you may be to post a couple of in the landscape forums asking how they could be done better (maybe they couldn't be done better :))
November is not so far away and not getting involved will not help you get ready for your holiday.:th3: