PDA

View Full Version : Resizing images for Ausphotography forum/comps

HelenClaire
04-08-2016, 11:52pm
Since upgrading to LR6 and a new laptop to boot I am finding that images that are pin sharp on LR become fuzzy when I export at the required Ausphotography specs of max 1200pixels and max 400KB. I shoot in raw and when I export into a JPEG without size restrictions it comes out exactly the same - pin sharp. But when I export at the reduced size for Ausphotography its terrible. Any suggestions?

ricktas
05-08-2016, 6:19am
it will be a setting in the export fields. Generally there is an option on how it is resizes. One of those is 'bicubic sharpen'. try that. Sorry, I dont export in LR to JPG, I export the full size file into PS and then resize it in PS. But I am guessing here that LR would use a similar resizing engine to PS.

Hamster
05-08-2016, 9:51am
Don't forget to choose "sharpen for screen" when you export. Into PS, resize and then sharpen using Nik output sharpening allows more control, but LR should do a fine job for an Aus photo comp. if not try the PS route.

Mark L
05-08-2016, 8:57pm
Helen, try a fraction more sharpening after resizing (but I suspect it's not quite that simply). Use the Test Zone to try different things .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?114-The-Test-Zone

..... Into PS, resize and then sharpen using Nik output sharpening allows more control,

Can you explain the Nik output settings you use after re-sizing?
I often use Nik for sharpening before resize and then just use unsharp mask in PS to sharpen a fraction after resizing.

HelenClaire
05-08-2016, 9:24pm
Thanks. I now have PS thanks to the new AdobeCC but have yet to learn it. Always have used LR and yes I do sharpen for screen on export. I will try the suggestions given though.

Ross the fiddler
05-08-2016, 9:34pm
When I first loaded up images I found out as well that I needed to sharpen the downsized image to display it similarly to how I see it full size. The program I use has a scale of sharpening up to 6 & I normally sharpen it at 5 (which doesn't look over-sharpened) to get the desired appearance, so don't be too conservative in sharpening the downsized image, but I guess don't over-do it either.

HelenClaire
05-08-2016, 10:43pm
Well I tried Mark's suggestion and surprise it worked! Not that Mark's suggestion was a surprise. On the contrary it was very common sense and by far the easiest to try. I uploaded the JPEG back into LR and resharpened before exporting again. What I did find though after numerous tries was that I didn't need to sharpen it much at all. Only moved the slider to 8 which in LR is very miniscule but it was enough to get it pretty much like my full sized JPEG. So thanks for all the feedback :D

Hamster
06-08-2016, 9:36am
Can you explain the Nik output settings you use after re-sizing?
I often use Nik for sharpening before resize and then just use unsharp mask in PS to sharpen a fraction after resizing.

Generally I don't do any more than look for likely areas of over sharpening and adjust the amount slider accordingly. If there's lots of fine detail I might play with structure a little. I've not been using it that long so others may have more sophisticated routines; but KISS seems to work.

J.davis
07-08-2016, 10:50pm
I Found that exporting to Flikr and importing from there works the best - Thanks to mark L.