PDA

View Full Version : A new novocastrian

Mark Aitkens
11-07-2016, 8:22pm
Hi all

I'm a beginner from Newcastle with a terrible case of LBA.

My camera system is :plogo: (is that loud enough) and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new K-1 to match my legacy lens collection. I look forward to gaining insight from fellow aussie photographers and perhaps engaging in some friendly cross system banter (I promise to be kind on the inferior brands :D and perhaps eating humble pie when I should :eek:)

Have I already marred my character by making such confessions :nod:

Cheers

Mark

I @ M
11-07-2016, 8:25pm
Welcome to AP Mark, pull up a chair and join in.

(I promise to be kind on the inferior brands :D and perhaps eating humble pie when I should :eek:)

Have I already marred my character by making such confessions :nod:

Unfortunately you have committed total character suicide, all the Sony users here hate being patronised. :p

paulheath
11-07-2016, 8:34pm
Pentax??? Dont they make spectacles and binoculars??:lol: welcome aboard .. im sure we wont be too hard on you

Mark Aitkens
11-07-2016, 8:47pm
Thanks guys. Not only do we have cross system banter to enjoy, we also have parochial allegiances to contend with - dare I mention the classic QLD NSW rivalry .......

I am also a member of Pentaxforums (and I say this having no idea of its reputation outside the forum itself). I like that forum very much, but alas, it gets a little one-eyed and from time to time. A little more aussie focus is also something I seek.

A small confession. If my photography skills can catch up with the gear I have acquired, then, all I can say is watch out ;)

Mark L
11-07-2016, 9:53pm
What is the Pentax thing you mention??:scrtch:

Cage
11-07-2016, 11:28pm
:plogo:, some of us have already BTDT. :lol2: (Don't tell anyone but I miss my Pentax glass)

A welcome to the forum from just up the river.

ricktas
12-07-2016, 6:54am
Welcome, I am confused, you have Pentax legacy gear, but you are a beginner?

Oh and I will forgive you for admitting to being a Pentax fan, cause I feel a bit sorry for you!

Mark Aitkens
12-07-2016, 8:01am
"Welcome, I am confused, you have Pentax (http://www.pentax.com.au/pentax/) legacy gear, but you are a beginner?"

Thanks for the welcome. I'm choosing to be humble (for now). Admissions to old gear and no new tricks might be a smoke screen. I will be keen to be measured by my new peers and the photos I take :D

piczzilla
12-07-2016, 11:18am
Hello Mark, Welcome to AP. I'm new here myself, and I confess I had to google what LBA is lol (I thought you have some sort of affliction - well some might argue it's an affliction). I don't speak Pentax, but let's get along anyway. See you on the forums. :)

Lance B
12-07-2016, 5:57pm
Welcome to AP, Mark.

I was a Pentax tragic up until 2010 when I made the switch to Nikon mainly for FF and the D700 and their pro lenses but I still have a soft spot for Pentax. I was also the main instigator in the term LBA, basically coining the term back in 2004 in Pentax SLR Talk on DP Review. It was picked up by Pentax as part of their advertising back in 2007 (from memory) and Ned Bunnell (one of the head honcho's of Pentax marketing USA) actually sent me a free DA*300 f4 lens as a token of their thanks for allowing them to use the term LBA. :D

Here is my first use of the term Lens Buyers Anonymous which was later changed to Lens Buyer's Addiction and then contracted to just LBA:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/10974399

Apparently, there had been previous uses of the words Lens Buyers Anonymous/Addiction on the Canon forum on DPR (I think), generally only ever being used once or at most twice apparently, but I had never seen those references before I used it and it never really took off with those other forums. I was the one most instrumental in it's liberal use on DPR Pentax SLR Talk and it thus became vernacular on that forum.

I am also still a member of Pentaxforums, although never contribute any more as I do not have any Pentax gear as I have sold it off to fund my Nikon gear.

Enjoy your time at AP. :)

Mark L
12-07-2016, 8:46pm
Admissions to old gear and no new tricks might be a smoke screen. I will be keen to be measured by my new peers and the photos I take :D
With the gear you have , not to many peers.:D:p
With your photos ..... :confused013
And don't be afraid to comment on others photos.:th3:

Glen1
12-07-2016, 9:01pm
Hi Mark,
welcome to the forum from a member who has been very slack with contributions for quite some time. I built up a good selection of lenses for my K5 II, and then I bought an Olympus OM-D EM10, as a "compact travel camera". Unfortunately, I can't put the damn thing down. It's got a Sigma 30mm f1.4 almost permanently glued to it, though I've got a Sig 60 f2.8 and Oly 14-42 Ezy in the bag. Hoping to get the Pentax out again soon though.

Regards
Glen1

Mark Aitkens
12-07-2016, 9:29pm
I know, I know, Pentaxians are often the but of all jokes in the digital age. But, I sense a shift in the winds is coming as people discover the K-1, even if the admissions from non-believers is not forthcoming. I will post some images soon once I get back into shooting - had a hiatus of late - I will post some historical shots soon - perhaps tonight :nod:

- - - Updated - - -

Glen1, the time is ripe for a dust off - perhaps we can meet at Catho to shoot astro (never done astro so am keen to give it a go)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok A couple of old shots taken with my K-01 and FA31mm as a taste test. More to follow over the weeks and years I promise :)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=126804 http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=126803

Mary Anne
13-07-2016, 9:29pm
Well the horizon is straight so you will do alright :D Anyway Welcome to AP.
No comment about Pentax to each his own, and either brand is no better or worse than any other.
So join right in and start posting on the cc Forums, and don't forget to comment on other Folks post also :2smile: