PDA

View Full Version : LCD glass replacement (top)

Filter
06-07-2016, 6:40pm
Hi all, I have cracked the small top LCD glass on my 70D & although it is not effecting the LCD I am peeved that I did it & would like to replace it. Canon sent a quote of $440 which is mind blowing. I have ordered a replacement part on line & have seen a couple of video's to replace similar parts but not my situation. The $440 price tag has me now thinking there is more to it than meets the eye. Any advice would be appreciated.

J.davis
08-07-2016, 12:09am
I had a look at a video and it seems to be the same approach as replacing screens on phones etc, heat and peel method. Seems easy enough, but beware of the LCD underneath it.
If you are unsure, buy the parts and take them to the phone fixers in a mall somewhere.
simple enough, but you have yourself to blame if something goes wrong.

Mary Anne
08-07-2016, 9:40am
Or you could shop around and get some other quotes.

bricat
08-07-2016, 2:35pm
Yes take it to a non canon repair centre. The doesn't sound right does it? A camera repair centre! that's better. Cheers Brian

Filter
19-08-2016, 8:27pm
In fairness to Canon I should update this post. The $440 quote was based on incorrect data given by the phone operator to the tech's. the quote was for the LCD flip screen. The top glass replacement was $140 if it was just the glass, $170 if the top had to come off. Both jobs had me without a camera for two + weeks.

I purchased a part & took the camera to the local shopping center, no problem he said $10 to fit it. After 15 minutes I saw a very average job done, the glass did not fit well & it sat high with a visible gap to the LCD panel. Not happy now, the old one had a crack in it but it was still sealed.

I tracked down another replacement part, not on ebay but at http://myfriggincamera.com/ they assured me the parts were genuine. The glass (acrylic), double sided tape & postage was $40. I fitted the glass myself & the 70D looks like a new'n now very happy.