PDA

View Full Version : Is this a portrait?

bobt
13-04-2016, 12:05pm
I'm thinking of entering this in a club "Portrait" comp. Do you think it's a legitimate portrait entry?

Jorge Arguello
13-04-2016, 12:46pm
They look like maniquies.
If I were (that I am not) a judge then I would not accept it as a portrait photo.

ameerat42
13-04-2016, 12:51pm
A bit of a :p-ky stretch of the field, Bob. That's just MO, though.

Aside: can they change a light bulb? How many mannequins does it take...:p

Kym
13-04-2016, 1:15pm
No, I would as a Judge at a APS/SAPF comp DQ it

bobt
13-04-2016, 5:44pm
Hmmmm ... interesting. How about if the portrait were of an animal?

ameerat42
13-04-2016, 6:14pm
I'd say so, as a portrait is... well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait

But it depends on how strict they are:confused013

bobt
13-04-2016, 6:52pm
But it depends on how strict they are:confused013

Ahhh .... that's a key issue with Judges. We had a judge for a set subject on Ships. He ignored all images which were part of a ship or a single ship. Personally I'd have thrown him overboard.

Then we had a debate about a topic called "Postcode 3000". The argument was over a boat traveling down the Yarra River - the postal area border is the middle of the river!!! Aaaaargh!!! :eek:

ameerat42
13-04-2016, 7:03pm
Zounds!:eek: like a rod of your own making, Bob:D Such hair-splitters!!

bobt
13-04-2016, 9:02pm
They look like maniquies.

Well at least you're not going to be fooled into asking one out on a date! :o

Mark L
13-04-2016, 9:13pm
Well at least you're not going to be fooled into asking one out on a date! :o
:( and I was about to ask you to get four phone numbers for me Bob. The ones at each end of the 2nd row, the ...... :(
Maybe you could still chase up the number for the one at the far back left. I'd like to ask how her left shoulder is going after the operation.

Now animals are valid subjects for portraits. (whether the judge agrees is irrelevant)

Kym
13-04-2016, 9:20pm
Hmmmm ... interesting. How about if the portrait were of an animal?

Generally its a strict people definition.
At the local camera club they allow animals.

Kym
13-04-2016, 9:25pm
Definitions http://www.gradacfoto.com/documents/exhibition1/Definitions.pdf

bobt
13-04-2016, 9:43pm
:Now animals are valid subjects for portraits. (whether the judge agrees is irrelevant)

Generally its a strict people definition. At the local camera club they allow animals.

Just as well it's the local camera club then ...... here's my "Portrait"

- - - Updated - - -

Definitions http://www.gradacfoto.com/documents/exhibition1/Definitions.pdf

That is very specific! Couldn't get a much narrower interpretation than that. Thanks.

Warbler
13-04-2016, 10:41pm
...... here's my "Portrait"

Sit Bob. Sit boy. Stay.

bobt
14-04-2016, 9:14am
Sit Bob. Sit boy. Stay.

:D:D:D:D:D

I could've phrased that better ........:o

Warbler
14-04-2016, 9:22am
I was going to say, don't pay that photographer. He's shot too close and only got your guide dog in the picture. :D

bobt
14-04-2016, 9:39am
I was going to say, don't pay that photographer. He's shot too close and only got your guide dog in the picture. :D

I should have labelled this thread "Caption This" !! :lol:

(Actually .... this dawg was a guide dog ..... a failed one who got chucked out before she graduated!)

mikew09
14-04-2016, 2:28pm
That is an interesting question when you first look at the photo. Now I have spent 30 secs to take it in I would say no. The subject isn't living which in my mind is the basis of a portrait. To capture someone living at the time in space and for the purpose of preserving the memory of that person along with a frame that can tell a story, and emotion, character, profession etc.

To me with the frame containing the subjects as it has - I would lean a little more to abstract I think.

bobt
14-04-2016, 4:28pm
That is an interesting question when you first look at the photo. Now I have spent 30 secs to take it in I would say no. The subject isn't living which in my mind is the basis of a portrait. To capture someone living at the time in space and for the purpose of preserving the memory of that person along with a frame that can tell a story, and emotion, character, profession etc.

To me with the frame containing the subjects as it has - I would lean a little more to abstract I think.

Now here's another category I could use ..... "Still Life". They don't come much stiller than these girls! :nod:

ameerat42
14-04-2016, 4:39pm
Still Life was your last such topic:D

bobt
14-04-2016, 4:46pm
Still Life was your last such topic:D

Yeah ... but it hasn't actually arrived yet .... it's next month. I was doing some forward planning! I reckon these girls should qualify though, from my reading of what "still life' is! Some definitions seem to want the subject to have been alive at some point, but there are heaps of still life photos of glasses and non-living objects. "Still life" has to be the most boring category.