PDA

View Full Version : Road trail motorbike tour Vietnam

wayn0i
20-03-2016, 11:59pm
Just looking for some advice / ideas. I'm heading to the northern mountains of Vietnam for a 16 motorbike ride.

Our gear will be strapped to a rack on the back of the bike so I'm thinking of riding with a camera backpack with travel tripod on the side. The travel backpack I have has an easy access side zipper and rain cover. But I'm a little worried.

This region is gorgeous so I really want to take the filters particularly grads.

Anyone done something similar and able to offer tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenda
21-03-2016, 6:45am
A beautiful country and the northern mountains are stunning. We went in their wet season and were very lucky to only experience two tropical downpours - heavy but short in duration and once in a car the other waiting at an airport so didn't worry us at all. I think I'd want something more than the backpack's rain cover to ensure my gear didn't get wet, especially travelling on a bike. My Lowepro bag has a rain cover and I was walking through drizzly rain (also windy) at a fjord in NZ, used the rain cover, but on getting back to the car discovered some had got into the bag - luckily it hadn't affected the two lenses in there. Enjoy your trip, ride safely, and hope you get some amazing photos.

wayn0i
21-03-2016, 10:21am
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. Maybe I'll get some waterproof bags for the kit inside the bag?

Glenda
21-03-2016, 11:40am
Yes and also some of those crystal sachets that prevent mould - the humidity can be stifling - more so in the south but also to a lesser extent in the north.

wayn0i
23-03-2016, 7:03pm
Thanks Lplates good tip mate

J.davis
23-03-2016, 10:12pm
Go to BCF and get some 'dry bags' best invention ever for motorcycle camping.

Brian500au
23-03-2016, 11:03pm
Go to BCF and get some 'dry bags' best invention ever for motorcycle camping.

Yep this is the way to go. I have taken my camera gear white water rafting, sailing and in zodiacs with these dry bags. The only disadvantage is they take longer to get out to take the shot so you need to watch the weather. If I was you I would get a larger one and drop my whole camera bag in there - that way it is just a matter of pulling the camera bag out of the dry bag rather than packing the camera itself in the dry bag in the camera bag.

Can also depend on the size bike you are using. This was my setup in 2010 riding around Australia with my camera in my padded tank bag

https://creative.smugmug.com/Travel/Oceania/Australia/i-B8N3Dbw/0/XL/090417_13539-XL.jpg

wayn0i
27-03-2016, 11:46am
Brian500au,
Thanks for the advice that's what I will do. That's quite a setup on your bike