PDA

View Full Version : A Question to do with Sensors

ameerat42
29-02-2016, 8:09pm
Recently this Q came up:

If you have two cameras, one with an APS-C size sensor, and the other with, say, a full-frame sensor, AND,
the pixel density (pixels-per-mm or inch) is the same for both sensors (ie: individual pixels are the same size), then
is there any advantage in having the larger sensor?

It is not a trick question. Just remember that the important thing is the equal pixel densities of the sensors.
Let's state that EVERYTHING else about the cameras is the same...

John King
29-02-2016, 9:07pm
The answer is: Maybe ...

:lol:

Of course there is, in some circumstances; in other circumstances, not much.

It also depends not only on the sensor but the lens that is used, and whether it has been designed for the sensor in use, or not. That is, just because one can use the same lens on both cameras (say a D5 and a D500), with the lens being designed for the larger sensor, it will not necessarily perform as well on the smaller sensor. An examination of lens results at (say) www.slrgear.com of such lenses will often reveal a pretty marked disparity between the performance in front of a large sensor versus a crop sensor.

The magnification required to display/print an image at a given final size must also be taken into account. For example, in order to be able to print a four thirds/micro four thirds image at the same resolution as (say) a 135 format image, the FTs/mFTs lens must have double the resolving power. Most do achieve this, which is why I can print my images at A2 size with resolution that is all but indistinguishable from a 135 format image. There will be other differences, of course.

My basic advice? Take the best images you can with whatever gear you have. Even my relatively crappy bottom grade lenses can produce images that are very nice. Even my dear old E-1 (5 MPx) will produce images that are excellent at A2 size, if I get things right.

There's the point. One of the best BIF photographers I know uses an Olympus E-M10 on the back of Canon 400, 500, 800 mm lenses, and uses exclusively manual focus. My hat's off to him. I couldn't do what he does, even with a D5 ...

When I upgrade a camera body, I make a list of things that WILL benefit my photography that my current gear cannot do. The list is usually very short - 5-6 things, or thereabouts ... ;).

As I get further into my dotage, the other thing I consider is the size and weight. These, and total system cost, are of extreme importance to me now.

Just a few thoughts, FWIW.

Cage
29-02-2016, 9:09pm
Well the obvious advantage is that the FF sensor is going to capture a lot more real estate than the scaled-down sensors from a given shooting point.

John King
29-02-2016, 9:16pm
Kev, the graphic really depends on which APS sensor you are talking about. Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Sony, Fuji, Pentax (IIRC), among others, all use different APS sensor sizes, or at least some of them do ... So methinks that the graphic might be a bit this way or that.

ameerat42
29-02-2016, 9:21pm
No, I agree with the graphic. It doesn't really matter about the specific sensors or makes. The idea is just
that they differ in size while having the same pixel density.

To illustrate it further, I have superimposed a grid on Kev's graphic. Consider the small squares to be the "pixels".
All that changes is the sensor size.

Illustration...

tandeejay
29-02-2016, 9:24pm
Given that the pixel density is the same for each sensor, I would have thought the performance of the lens would be about the same (apart from a lens designed for a apcs sensor will not have a large enough image circle for the full frame)

A smaller sensor with a higher pixel density would have an impact on the lens performance as the lens would need to be able to resolve to a smaller point, but if the pixel density is the same, the same lens on the FF or APCS should resolve the same over the same pixel density :confused013

So in this case, having the larger sensor would have the advantage of higher mega pixel count.

Of course, I could be wrong, as I'm no scientist and definitely not a camera expert, but this explanation is "logical" to my way of thinking.

ameerat42
29-02-2016, 9:27pm
...but if the pixel density is the same, the same lens on the FF or APCS should resolve the same over the same pixel density :confused013

So in this case, having the larger sensor would have the advantage of higher mega pixel count.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Basically correct, but I'm just wondering if "more megapixels" is necessarily an advantage. "Wondering", mind. Not saying it is or isn't.

tandeejay
29-02-2016, 9:35pm
Basically correct, but I'm just wondering if "more megapixels" is necessarily an advantage. "Wondering", mind. Not saying it is or isn't.

ah ha, now that would come down to the question of "what do you want to do with the image?"

well, if you have the same lens, your going to need to crop on the FF sensor to get the same view angle as the apcs sensor, and you'll end up with the same number of mega pixels anyway... That is, the crop sensor is doing just that... cropping the image, so if you really do need the wider angle, then FF is better... but with the crop sensor, you could take several images and then stitch them together to get the same effect as the FF sensor...

mpb
29-02-2016, 9:36pm
It is my understanding the the DoF will also be shallower on the full frame compared to the cropped sensor.

Cage
29-02-2016, 9:43pm
I think Pixel Density is the key here.

Obviously for a cropped sensor to capture the same size image as a full frame sensor, you would have less pixels spread over the same area, and in theory, all other factors being equal, the cropped sensor would/should capture less detail.

tandeejay
29-02-2016, 9:53pm
I think Pixel Density is the key here.

Obviously for a cropped sensor to capture the same size image as a full frame sensor, you would have less pixels spread over the same area, and in theory, all other factors being equal, the cropped sensor would/should capture less detail.

I think your wrong, in this case, the pixel density is the same, so all other factors being equal, they should capture the same detail, but the FF sensor will capture detail outside the frame of the apcs sensor. The only way the cropped sensor could capture less detail would be if you had a different Lens eg. a 50mm on the apcs sensor and a 35mm on the FF, but then you have 2 different lenses... or do you consider the 50mm on the apcs the same lens as the 35 on the FF:confused013

- - - Updated - - -

It is my understanding the the DoF will also be shallower on the full frame compared to the cropped sensor.

That would only come into effect if you had a different lens? :confused013 That is, "all things being equal" and you had the same lens over the FF or the apcs, the only difference in this case is how much the image is cropped...

mpb
29-02-2016, 10:03pm
- - - Updated - - -

That would only come into effect if you had a different lens? :confused013 That is, "all things being equal" and you had the same lens over the FF or the apcs, the only difference in this case is how much the image is cropped...
Yes, but if you are shooting the same scene with a FF and cropped sensor you need to change focal lengths to get the same image, or move position.
If you just shoot with "all things being equal" then all things are not equal because you get a different field of view.

tandeejay
29-02-2016, 10:07pm
Yes, but if you are shooting the same scene with a FF and cropped sensor you need to change focal lengths to get the same image, or move position.
If you just shoot with "all things being equal" then all things are not equal because you get a different field of view.

So comes back to the OP then... What does AM consider as "all things being equal"?

I took the description of "everything about the camera is the same" to mean the same lens... if you change the lens to keep the same FOV, then you have moved away from that statement?
ameerat42; we need your interpretation here...

ameerat42
01-03-2016, 9:00am
Yep. Somewhere in the mix upstairs I did say keeping the same lens.
Some thoughtful reasoning here, Tands.:nod:

In the OTHER discussion I saw about this (I kept the wording the same), they IMMEDIATELY jumped to a
discourse on PIXEL SIZE. I mean!--- It had been spelled out there too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think there are cameras in the major makes that differ by only sensor size. Can't bring any to mind.

Ta for all responses so far.

Hamster
01-03-2016, 10:18am
No. Next!

ameerat42
01-03-2016, 10:21am
Seemingly, well summarised, Alex:D

Hamster
01-03-2016, 11:25am
Seemingly, well summarised, Alex:D

[emoji3][emoji3]

John King
01-03-2016, 11:32am
Am, this is very similar to the discussions about cropping xx MPx out of the centre of a 135 format frame to achieve the same result as that obtained from a crop sensor with the same xx MPx and the same size as the cropped area from the 135 image.

Unfortunately, it only works that way in (simplistic) theoretical terms. In fact, for this to work, the 135 format lens has to have the same, or greater, resolution than that of the crop sensor lens. This is rarely, if ever, the case in reality.

One uses lenses that have much the same angle of view for a given sensor size (leave aspect ratio out of it, it just further complicates things!). So we all use the convenient shorthand of referring to a 300 mm lens on four thirds as having an effective focal length of 600mm on 135 format. This is because the AoV is roughly the same for the 300 vs 600 lens.

However, it has to be stressed that this is just a convenient shorthand!
Neither the FL nor the aperture actually changes. An f/2.8 300 lens is functionally the same on any format. So an f/2.8 300mm lens on FTs will be roughly the same as an f/2.8 600 as far as AoV and exposure are concerned. However, the DoF of the FTs 300 mm is the same as the DoF of a 300 mm on a 135 format camera - i.e. it will have greater DoF than a 135 format 600mm lens. This is almost always an advantage, but not in every single case! However, the design of the lens will change dramatically from format to format, even if the major specifications are the same or similar. Image circle is one obvious change, another is the degree of telecentricity required. Registration distance will mostly be different. Retrofocal design will be different. etc, etc.

In the end, I find this a very fruitless discussion, that is almost always an attempt to assert the superiority of one format over another.
While each format does have strengths and weaknesses, IMO the only real benefit of examining these is when one is choosing which to buy and use for one's own needs and photography. ALL modern ILC cameras will take better photos than we mostly can ... ;).

If I want very clean ISO 6400 and this is always a major issue for me, then I would choose a D3x or D4s over my Olympus 4/3rds cameras. Not that the E-M1 cannot do this, and remarkably well, it just will not be as clean in all circumstances as a D3x. e.g. a couple of almost OoC JPEG shots from said E-M1 at ISO 6400 (no NR applied, it is an automated PS action I wrote that I use to batch prepare OoC JPEGs for web use):

http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/d/18606-2/E-M1_JAK_2016-_2112448_Ew.jpg

http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/d/18476-3/E-M1_JAK_2015-_7140932_Ew.jpg
Ditto, ISO 12,800, where my E-M1 can be decidedly flaky, and PP from the RAW is all but essential, but I didn't need a tripod for this shot either - hand held at f/5 @ 1/6th from the moving pedestrian bridge over the Yarra at Southbank:

http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/d/18524-3/E-M1_JAK_2015-_C172085_JK_E-2_Ew.jpg
Just a few thoughts, FWIW.

ameerat42
01-03-2016, 11:47am
Ta for your thoughts, John. (I think I owe you 1d for them :D)

I guess the point you make: [...if the lens fits...] is all we can draw from it.
Ie, that you get a wider scene coverage per given lens on the larger sensor - all else being equal.

mpb
01-03-2016, 11:56am
Ie, that you get a wider scene coverage per given lens on the larger sensor - all else being equal.

The advantage of using the same FF lens on an APS-C sensor is that you crop off any of the soft corners the lens may have, maybe.:confused013

arthurking83
01-03-2016, 4:52pm

So that's the advantage of using a larger format.
Technically you have 2(or three, or more) cameras in one .. as the pixel density is the same and the lens is the same, you have a wider FOV coverage with the larger sensor camera.

So, instead of needing more lenses to effect the same FOV, you then get by with only the one lens and the one camera.

eg. with the APS-C (or even smaller sensored camera) you have a given restricted FOV with any one lens attached.
Remember that the pixel density is fixed for all cameras sensors, so in effect, the APS-C camera is now limited to a tighter FOV than the larger sensor camera.
If you crop the 135 format sensor to the same FOV as the APS-C camera you lose nothing at all.. ie. the larger framed camera is both types of cameras in this scenario.

For a very short time Nikon had the D800 twins and the D7000 both having the same pixel density, and hence as your question asks.

The problem with determining if there was any advantage of noise in image and suchlike from the larger sensor camera, the issue there was that the sensor tech was askew, in that the D7000 was much older tech.
I can't think of any cameras/brands that have simply scaled up their sensor tech to eliminate that anomaly from the equation.

So to think of how this is an advantage:

Think cropped camera of some type(with the same pixel density as the larger one).
The (supposed) advantage of the smaller format camera is it's smaller size.
The advantage of the larger sensored camera is that for whatever focal length lens is fitted to the smaller format camera, the larger one also uses that same lens.
But the disadvantage to the smaller sensor camera is that if you want a wider FOV capture, you need to not only swap out lenses but you also have to carry those other lenses too(which the larger sensor camera doesn't then require! ;)
The idea that there is a size advantage is not what it initially seems to be .... not to mention the most likely probability that in the time it takes to change the lens, the shot is almost certainly missed.

John King
01-03-2016, 5:15pm
Gidday Arthur

I listed what I perceive to be the serious failings of this view in the second paragraph of my post #18 upthread.

Comments?

arthurking83
01-03-2016, 7:09pm

I listed what I perceive to be the serious failings of this view in the second paragraph of my post #18 upthread.

Comments?

Yep! but for a few exceptions, it is rare to see.

Only two that I know of(there may be more, but only these two I know of) ...

Nikon with the D7000 and D800's back in 2012.
D800 36Mp 135 format, cropped to 15Mp in APS-C.
D7000 15Mp APS-C.
But as I said before, the comparison is skewed in terms of will the image quality be the same/different.
D7000's Sony 15Mp sensor was about 2 years older in technology .. so it's noise quality dynamic range was inferior to the newer D800's sensor.

NOW!!
Sigma has the new mirrorless DP Quattro and Quattro H models.
One seems to be an upsized version of the other.(as it's implied in the info about them so far).

As for the reality(as opposed to the theory) of my assertions.
If anyone can argue against the point I use about a larger format camera being 2 or 3 smaller format cameras as well .. with reasoning of course!! .. I'll happily concede it.
And remember Am's question was specifically about keeping sensor pixel pitch the same and lens's the same .. and discuss the advantages(and or outcomes).

FWIW:
My experience a few years ago was that I was undecided as to which Fx format UWA lens to match my D800 too.
In the meantime I happily used my APS-C only Sigma 10-20mm lens in Dx mode on the D800, but then thought to myself "stuff it", just get the entire frame and crop as necessary.
cropping is easily done later .. getting data back when it was never captured in the first place is impossible(and that's only because my Ps skillz are subpar! ;))
So my contention remains .. larger format camera = many smaller format cameras as well.
Turns out that the 10-20 Sigma allows close to about 13mm on 135 format(otherwise 15mm equivalency), but only when cropped to 1:1 ratio .. and that was enough of an advantage for me to work with at the time.

In theory it easily possible .. why the manufacturer's DON'T do it is beyond me :confused013
With the Canon 5Ds and r at 50Mp, and Sony's latest Mp effort at 42Mp .. It's not hard to imagine Nikon's next effort at 64Mp, which then places it's effective pixel pitch at 16Mp for a m4/3rds crop and 24Mp for an APS-C camera.
That reality isn't all that far off.

But why the manufacturers don't concurrently spend the R&D $'s on both a larger and smaller sensor using the same tech, and simply scaled appropriately .. doesn't make any sense.

Anyhow .. if anyone has the ability to do the comparisons in a few months time using new Sigma cameras ... let us know if the reality matches the theory :D

John King
01-03-2016, 7:51pm
Except for the difference in lens resolution, Arthur. The area imaged might be similar, but the resolution in LPPMM will be very different. That was the point I was making ...

For example, the E-M1 + 14-42 EZ pancake zoom has better optical characteristics than the 10-20 Sigma (at least the copy that I saw, and all the reviews seem to back this up), even though the 14-42 is very ordinary optically (to say the least). Ditto the very ordinary 12-50.

The E-M1 + 14-42 weighs less than 600 grams.

Even with the optically excellent 14-54 MkII, the E-M1 still only weighs about a kilogram all up.

So, for my purposes, there is simply no comparison with the D8xx.

This is not a competition, or an attempt to say that my choices are better than yours, but I really must take issue with your conclusion, because the facts simply do not back up that conclusion.

I @ M
01-03-2016, 7:53pm
is there any advantage in having the larger sensor?

Yes, of course, everyone knows that bigger is better.

arthurking83
02-03-2016, 5:52am
Except for the difference in lens resolution, Arthur. The area imaged might be similar, but the resolution in LPPMM will be very different. That was the point I was making ...

In the context of this discussion, ie. what the OP has asked .. it's not a point of consideration.

The lens is included in the "all things being equal" statement. So it needs to be kept constant in this discussion.

When the lens becomes a variable, then the discussion becomes circular and we end up getting nowhere.

So in my argument, where I'm using the Sigma lens as one of the non variables, I was(and still do) using the 10-20 on the D300(APS-C) camera, I still used it on the D800E in crop mode and could use more of that lens in full frame mode(with limitations obviously).

And I don't buy into arguments that one format's lenses are better than others either.
Sharp lenses exist for all format types.

ricktas
02-03-2016, 6:48am
If the Full Frame is a Nikon and the Crop sensor is a Canon... well then there is a world of difference and the choice is obvious. :lol:

:nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo::nlogo:

arthurking83
02-03-2016, 7:57am

On the face of it, the answer is kind of yes ..... -ish!

But you only get a different FOV with the larger sensor if you don't crop(which of course the option is totally up to the individual ... not some randomly made up rule).

So the FOV issue is still within the bounds of the "all things being equal" constraint, because you CAN equalise that variable too. The advantage is that it's optional on the larger framed sensor.

MarkChap
02-03-2016, 12:56pm
There is but one genuine sensor size for a 35mm slr, all the rest are just imitations
36x24mm and preferably in a roll of 24

ameerat42
02-03-2016, 1:01pm
"Hello. Kodak ex-executives?"
"Yes."
"I have a plan for your resurrection..."

There is but one genuine sensor size for a 35mm slr, all the rest are just imitations
36x24mm and preferably in a roll of 24

arthurking83
02-03-2016, 2:19pm

The E-M1 + 14-42 weighs less than 600 grams.

Even with the optically excellent 14-54 MkII, the E-M1 still only weighs about a kilogram all up.

So, for my purposes, there is simply no comparison with the D8xx.

(and) for the sake of a little clarity on the claim made earlier:

... Unfortunately, it only works that way in (simplistic) theoretical terms. In fact, for this to work, the 135 format lens has to have the same, or greater, resolution than that of the crop sensor lens. This is rarely, if ever, the case in reality....

Lets forget about the D800 comparison for a moment, and look at another comparison of more "all else being equal" .. because it's harder to equalise a m4/3rd kit to a D800 kit.

Consider that Member Am[/I](who's real name we'll keep anonymous to protect their identity! .. hey Am ;)) may have just discovered a new found love for avian photography, and to do real bird photography we need a 600mm lens at a minimum!

While there are many alternative options to the two I'm about to propose, many pundits will claim that you can get a m4/3rds camera and a 300mm f/4 lens to get to 600mm equivalence and it'll be light weight and usable and whatnot.
All well and good, and almost right on .. except that given the technical specs I'd say that a better lighter weight and smaller kit for this would be a D5500 + Nikon 300/4 PF lens.

Consider the tech specs of the two kits here:

Nikon D5500 24Mp APS-C, cropped to 1.3 crop ratio gives a 15.5Mp equivalence image area.
Olympus OMD-EM10 II(basically same price, but the D5500 is generally cheaper) has a 16Mp m4/3rds sensor area(and that's it!!)

Nikon is 70g heavier than the EM10 II. advantage Olympus here.

Add the respective and current 300mm f/4 lenses to each body tho, and the tech specs change:
Olympus 300/4 is larger and heavier: 92mm x 225mm and 1.270kg
Nikon lens is smaller and lighter: 89mm x 147mm and 755g ... so what we gained on the m4/3 swings, we lost on the APS-C roundabouts in terms of size weight and so forth.

Both will give a 16Mp(approx for the Nikon, but I doubt anyone will notice the 3% loss in resolution) at a supposed 600mm equivalence .. which is where the Olympus stops!
The D5500 kit continues on it's advantage over the Olympus kit in that it also has a a 420mm f/4 alternative FOV is it's wanted .. and with more data to play with if needed.

Once again, we can't really compare sensor quality a the pixel level as the D5500's sensor is newer technology(and better by all accounts).
That is, whatever noise you can process out of an Oly 16Mp sensor, you can do so with a Nikon 24Mp APS-C sensor too(and more).

In terms of total size for the respective kits(lens + camera mounted to store in a bag!!), the Oly has a few mm of advantage in height and width a couple of mm wide and <10mm in height .. the all important total length is in Nikon's favour again here, even tho the camera body is 30mm deeper. The Nikon lens is so much shorter that the length of the Nikon kit is still less than the Oly 300/4 lens alone!

If we try to substitute a D610 or D750 to this lens option now, the total difference in weight and total length are still similar to the Oly kit.
ie. Oly kit here weighs in at 1600g, Nikon lens + D750 weighs in at 1500g!!
Where the FF bodies currently fall over in the comparo tho is that they require a 60Mp sensor, where they currently only have 24Mp.
Considering the latest round of Mp infighting from the manufacturers .. it won't be long before Nikon next gen hi res 135 format sensor will be up there too.

The comparison that John made is at the wide end, and many folks that try to defend the smaller size weight of their kits always use the wide end of the lens scale to do so.
This is where the advantage of the smaller formats always tend to congregate.
But if a theoretical 28-100mm f/5.6 - f/8 lens ever existed for the 135 format lens, it'd make the current comparison table a bit more interesting!

- - - Updated - - -

Am!! .. if Kodak are too stupid to realise the error of their ways over the past 20 off years .. resurrection is not an option!

Let Fuji rule! :th3:

MissionMan
02-03-2016, 2:41pm
I have to say at one point I was keen to get the D810, end up with the D750 and I'm happy with it. I think 24MP is as far as I want to go and I would rather see better dynamic range and low light capability than more MP. I would rather have clean photos at ISO50K than have 100MP but that's my needs and I can understand there are those that would rather have a 100MP camera with limited low light capability for landscapes.

As for your original question, other than the additional MP, I can't see any advantage and it all comes down to what you need. i.e. do you need more MP?

John King
02-03-2016, 3:36pm
All well and good, and almost right on .. except that given the technical specs I'd say that a better lighter weight and smaller kit for this would be a D5500 + Nikon 300/4 PF lens.

Consider the tech specs of the two kits here:

Arthur, have you checked out the specs and reviews of the Nikkor f/4 300 PF?

According to www.slrgear.com (http://www.slrgear.com), that lens is " ... never tack sharp ... " compared with their review of the Olympus f/4 300, which is somewhat better than that ...

So really an apples and oranges comparison IMO.

Just been looking at some images of Jupiter and its 4 major moons taken with the latter lens. Its resolving power is better than the theoretical maximum for a 77mm objective lens. There is a reason for that - the moons of Jupiter are pretty bright! However, it gives an indication of the IQ of this lens.

Now, I know that Nikon (and Canon) make lenses in this class, but the last time I looked they were between $15-23,000, and were a lot bigger and heavier than the Oly f/4 300.

BTW, I personally have no desire whatsoever to own the D5500. It is undoubtedly a nice camera, but I far prefer the E-M1 for my purposes. Same reasons I chose my E-30 over a D300 about 6.5 years ago. Both nice cameras, but the E-30 suited my wants and needs better at that time.

I also place a great deal of importance in how colour correct a result one gets from the CFA fitted to any camera. For me, colour correctness is very important.

I did vaguely consider a D3x at one stage, but my photographic gear has already cost a lot more than my car! AND it was not exactly a 'cheapie'. :nod: :eek:

arthurking83
02-03-2016, 4:18pm

BTW, I personally have no desire whatsoever to own the D5500. It is undoubtedly a nice camera, but I far prefer the E-M1 for my purposes. Same reasons I chose my E-30 over a D300 about 6.5 years ago. Both nice cameras, but the E-30 suited my wants and needs better at that time.

OK .. maybe a bit of a misunderstanding on my part here then!

I was under the impression that this thread was a question asked about sensor properties .... and not what each and every one of us individually desires, or not.

The OP asked the question what's the difference between sensors sizes given a defined set of control points .. ie. everything else being equal kind'a thing.

The point in my previous reply wasn't that one lens is better than the other .. sample variation will see to that anyhow .. plus the fact that Nikon royally stuffed up with this lens initially too! :p
For the most part this is hard to critically assess anyhow .. only one site that I know can do it as accurately as it can be done. Until they test it for sharpness, all other tests are really by the wayside.

ps. and I don't doubt that the Oly lens will be sharper than the Nikon lens .. from my experience researching lens info, it's generally a given that bigger is almost always better.

The point in my reply was that any comparison is only valid for one set of specific criteria, but may change when a few other factors are taken into account.

My intentions wasn't to convince you to acquire a D5500! Merely to point out that the opposite can be true of your 1Kg comment regarding the Olympus camera and lens kit that you prefer.
That is, that a bigger heavier DSLR plus 300 mm lens combo can weigh in at less than 1Kg compared to a smaller lighter weight camera plus equivalent lens that weighs in at more than 1.5kg.

BTW: I'm sure that many others will eventually disagree with SLRgear's summary of the Nikon lens's performance ... in fact the resolution test chart on TDP actually indicates otherwise anyhow.

As consumers we're generally at the mercy of the manufacturers as to what we can get.
What I want is almost nothing like what Nikon sells ATM(highly unlikely that they ever will do either).
But that's not the purpose of this thread, I'm just keeping my answers within the bounds of the question asked.

There are enough devices out there to keep the arguments, back and forth, valid(enough) to make comparisons and postulate hypotheticals.
eg. up until the D5500, Nikon have never concerned themselves with small and light, other than small and light enough given the intended market.
D5500 changed that(for Nikon), where they seemed to react to the change in market preference for smaller and lighter.
D3300 replacement is due out soon too, so my guess is that this new model will address this market desire even more effectively than the D5500 did .. ie. smaller and lighter yet again(if that's what the market wants!).
That's why I made the reference to the D5500, as it's Nikon's smallest and lightest DSLR taking into account that it sits above the D3300 in the model range.
Traditionally the camera gets bigger and heavier the further up the range it sits.