PDA

View Full Version : Want to store 360TB of photos for 13.8 billion years

ricktas
18-02-2016, 8:19am
How many photos have you taken? How much room do they take up? What if you could store 360tb of files on a small disk about the size of an SD card, and know they would be accessible when you come back in 13 billion years time?

Well now you can : http://petapixel.com/2016/02/16/glass-disc-can-store-360-tb-photos-13-8-billion-years/

ameerat42
18-02-2016, 8:40am
I want one:nod::D -- Er, wait!
Where will I be in 13 BY:umm:

Do they ship to galaxies far, far away; a long time from now?

Mary Anne
18-02-2016, 10:18am
Not really, though sounds interesting. Good to read it is made out of glass though.

R1Joel
18-02-2016, 10:59am
Lasting 13.8 billion years doesn't really matter to me, but having such huge amount of storage on a small device definitely does.

arthurking83
18-02-2016, 2:32pm
I'm curious to know how they know it will last 13.8 billion years.
Did they make one 13.8 billion years ago and wait to announce it the other day just to be sure they were sure of it's capability :p

That is, you don't want to be waiting 13.8 billion years to see if the data is still intact, and find that it's cut short at 13.7 billion years and you wasted all that time just sitting there watching it and suddenly it kills your data :eek:
Man, what a waste of time that experiment would have been.

:D

Fantastic device, and it's size is awesome. They just need to make it re writeable too and cheap and I'm in!

ameerat42
18-02-2016, 3:09pm
I'm curious to know how...
Did they make one 13.8 billion years ago and wait to announce it the other day just to be sure they were sure of it's capability :p

Yes. Didn't you know? It's a recent discovery of one of the first particles from the Big Bang.
It's the TERAGIGS BOSON:nod:

arthurking83
18-02-2016, 3:17pm
And seriously! .. how would you be if you collected images for 13.8 billion years, and you got to the 13.8 billionth year and you're 1 Tb over capacity!

They really should have thought this product through a bit more thoroughly and at least made it 361Tb .. 360 Tb just seems so inadequate considering the life expectancy of it's integrity.

Actually .... even better!

They should have made it larger(physically), and it could easily double up as a coaster too.
Even tho I never use a coaster .. ever, if this product were cheap, I'd be inclined to start using them.

Nothing more heart warming on a cold night than knowing that your warm cuppa is supported by a disc containing all your precious data that will survive the end of days!

Lance B
18-02-2016, 4:06pm
Looks great, but what's the read/write times like? :D

Hamster
18-02-2016, 5:01pm
ppfft 13.8 billion years. Not if my Mrs touches it.

arthurking83
18-02-2016, 5:05pm

13.8 billion years /Mb! :p

Grant S
19-02-2016, 9:11am
They only know the write times. They haven't developed a reader for them yet. According to their project plan we should see them in market in 13.8bn years...

ShowTiyme
19-02-2016, 7:50pm
Why 13.8? Why not just round it up to 14 or down to 13? Maybe that extra 8 million years might count...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Dug
19-02-2016, 8:43pm
Are they also making a data reader that will last 13.8 billion years? :)

Also a display device and OS that recognizes those primitive photo formats.

Here is an interesting read on the work required to reconstruct images digitally stored on 1500 computer tapes that held images sent back from the Lunar Explorer after it did recon orbits around the moon looking for good landing sights for the manned landings yet to come.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Orbiter_Image_Recovery_Project
That was only 50 yrs ago.

Painting images in a cave is the best and most successful achieving of images we have come up with yet.

Trevspics
19-02-2016, 10:32pm
hope it become available to your average joe

Mark L
19-02-2016, 11:45pm
".....and are expected to keep the data intact for 13.8 billion years at room temperature (anything up to 190°C, or 374°F)."
Glad I don't have to put up with room temperatures like that.:eek:
Or is that an indication of the ball-park figures in the article? Maybe the data will only last for 1.38 billion years then. How disappointing.

ricktas
20-02-2016, 8:53am
".....and are expected to keep the data intact for 13.8 billion years at room temperature (anything up to 190°C, or 374°F)."
Glad I don't have to put up with room temperatures like that.:eek:
Or is that an indication of the ball-park figures in the article? Maybe the data will only last for 1.38 billion years then. How disappointing.

Where I am going after I depart this earthly abobe, according to those in the 'know', my room will be quite warm, so it is nice to know my picces can be safe with me there :angry0:

Mark L
20-02-2016, 8:28pm
Where I am going after I depart this earthly abobe, according to those in the 'know', my room will be quite warm, so it is nice to know my picces can be safe with me there :angry0:

Great. Since I'll probably be close to you, it would be hell for me to have to look at my photos over and over and over again for 13.8 billion years.:eek: This technology should be stopped right now.