PDA

View Full Version : How can I view my computer on my TV ?

Cage
29-01-2016, 6:48pm
OK, I got the NBN, 100Mb/sec down and 40Mb/sec up. Bloody ripper, and not before time :nod: , but that's another story.

My router streams directly to my 'Smart TV' (is that an oxymoron ?) and I can watch Catch-up-TV and all that sort of stuff which is great with 100GB of download as I don't even need to use my HTPC, an acronym I use to refer to my old computer, which I set-up as a recording device.

I now have an idle TP-Link TL-MR3420 router which I used to download mobile phone updates via the internet and I think, and I'm probably wrong, if I had another RJ-45 Port I could use it to stream my 'puter to my TV.

Is my RJ-45 Port piggy-backable (is that a word ?) or would that confuse the crap out of my computer?

My question is how can I view my computer screen on my TV ? My computer only has one RJ-45 LAN Port which, obviously, my NBN router is plugged into.

ameerat42
29-01-2016, 6:56pm
Computer screen to TV: Any one of --
VGA out to TV VGA in
HDMI out to HDMI in (usual one)
DVI out to DVI/HDMI converter to HDMI in
VIDI (Chrome)cast-type (streaming) box to TV (with proper app)

Note though, AFAIK you'll only get the computer screen resolution on your TV.
OK if your computer and TV are both 1080p, say.

Cage
29-01-2016, 7:07pm
I edited my post to mention that I need to go the WIFI way, distance etc.

My modem is 2560 x 1440 and I assume my TV is 1920 x 1080. I could check if it is critical.

ameerat42
29-01-2016, 9:55pm
Set up wifi on your TV. If it DOZEN have it, get a new one. All you need is a good signal strength.
Likely, though, your TV - no matter how smart (unless also expensive) is only good for 2.4 Ghz.
Make sure you are not too far from it. What brand? I know about Sony and a bit about Samsung.
Also, I know you mean the computer is 2560x1440, not the modem:D Your TV should also have a
fit to screen width function. Note, if not a good enough signal to the TV from your router, put a
2nd router nearby and make it a WAP (which, since I know you'll ask, is a Wireless Access Point).
Effectively, like a repeater station.

arthurking83
29-01-2016, 9:59pm

My question is how can I view my computer screen on my TV ? My computer only has one RJ-45 LAN Port which, obviously, my NBN router is plugged into.

The way I'm reading it, you're two options are really a direct connection via video cable from computer to PC .. or you could try a VPN.
I'm guessing that:

1. you want to view your PC on the TV .. as a PC. That is, redirect the PC's output to a larger screen?
... if that's so, then only a direct connection would do that for 'ya without the use of a VPN.

2. if your smart TV is (say Android) capable, then you could install a VPN app on the TV, and connect to the PC via your LAN(as long as the TV is connected to the LAN).
.. if this is possible, then you'd just need some way to control the device(ie. mouse/keyboard type of device for the TV). This is easily possible maybe a bit laggy but doable.

One final way to try to access the PC via the TV's screen is via a KVM. This is akin to a direct cable connection to the screen tho, ie. similar limitations as a direct connection via a HDMI or video cable. I think you can get KVM switches that operate over an RJ45(ie, LAN) connection, but they are rare and or expensive.

When you say your computer is plugged into the NBN router, it almost sounds as tho there are no more ethernet ports to connect too on the 'router'?
Is this right.
If so, then it's not a router, it's just a modem.
A router will have as a minimum 4 Eth ports to connect too.

Connecting the TV to the computer's RJ45 port will do (in effect)nothing for ya!

What smart tv do you have .. it could make a difference.
is it sort'a smart, is it Android .. is it Samsung .. etc.

I have a Smart TV, and tho it's Android smart, it's not as user friendly as I'd hoped for. It's locked into a silly Chinese system and won't allow a connection to Google Play(for easy to find and choose apps). So I have to search for APKs to use on it. I've been trying to root it since the say I got it too .. but to no effect.
I'm going to try to VPN to the 'puter one day soon(very little time for stuff nowadays) .... when I can be bothered to try.
I'll let 'ya know how it turns out.

Cage
29-01-2016, 10:39pm
Thanks for looking in Artie. I hoped you would. ;)

The TV is a Panasonic Viera Plasma Model # TH-P50ST60A and it is, as I thought, 1920 x 1080 res.

It has built-in wireless LAN.

In my very limited experience with WIFI my gut feeling is that if I can get a signal happening from the computer via a modem, my TV will pick it up.

I guess i could just go the HDMI cable route for the odd time that I would use the facility.

arthurking83
29-01-2016, 10:59pm
It looks like VPN is out of the question.

So, other ways need to be found.

Over Wifi/LAN .. I'm thinking that about the only access you'll have from the TV to the computer will be media files(via the DNLA feature).

.... eg. if you want to access images/movies/music on your PC set your computer to the same network(I know this sounds obvious, but most folks don't realise this), allow sharing of your computer's media files .. and the DNLA feature on the TV will allow you to browse them on the network.

As for accessing your computer(as a computer .. eg. to access your PP editing software and whatnot) on the TV .. I reckon you're going to be plain out of luck.

I've yet to do the computer access thing, but as we speak, I'm installing the VPN software on the tv at the moment .. and soon on the PC .. and see how it all works out.
But the DNLA/media access thingy is a cinch!(or should be).

As for the easy peasy to setup HDMI cable connection, I have no idea on what the limits of a HDMI cable have to be .. so can't help there.
But hook up your PC to the tv via HDMI cable and you instantly have a nice big, albeit a little ugly(ie,. low res) PC screen.

That's why I got the TV I got recently. While the stupid locked Android OS is annoying for now, it's a 4K screen when connected to a PC, and one day that will come in handy when it's time for it to retire and a new TV with better features has been sourced. For now it's only ok at what it does .. got rid of all the devices connected to the old tv, and it's now the media hub(using Kodi as the main media app :th3:)

phild
29-01-2016, 11:08pm
When you say your computer is plugged into the NBN router, it almost sounds as tho there are no more ethernet ports to connect too on the 'router'?
Is this right.
If so, then it's not a router, it's just a modem.
A router will have as a minimum 4 Eth ports to connect too.

Sorry Arthur but a router can have as few as two ethernet ports and upwards. The difference between a modem and router is that a modem is basically a dumb device, it simply interprets line signals and converts them to data. A modem by itself is basically useless, it needs something to supply authentication details, usually but not necessarily the router. A router on the other hand analyses packets of data and distributes them according to pre defined rules. A router can, but doesn't necessarily supply the afformentioned authentication information. Routers have as few as 2 ports and upwards and may also have an inbuilt switch (ethernet ports) A router can also have an inbuilt modem as do most ADSL modem/routers.

Re the wireless connection from the PC, a simple DVI-HDMI adapter and a pair of wireless HDMI repeaters will do the trick, Jaycar have them. Alternatively you can get HDMI cables that will work over longer distances, Jaycar also have those. As for controlling your PC there are plenty of wireless keyboard/touchpad units that are designed for that purpose and have decent range.

ricktas
30-01-2016, 7:46am
I will add one more way to the list.

1. Does your computer have wifi
2. Does your TV have a HDMI port (spare)

If both of these is YES, go out and get yourself a Google Chromecast :https://www.google.com/intl/en_au/chrome/devices/chromecast/index.html?utm_source=chromecast.com

*note you can get them way cheaper than Google sells them for. On Ebay they sell for about $25.00

Plug your chromecast into the HDMI port, follow the setup instructions (takes about 5 minutes) and you are good to go. http://www.techhive.com/article/2999070/home-players/chromecast-mirroring-explained-how-to-beam-your-phone-or-pc-screen-to-the-tv.html

There are heaps of webpages telling you how to mirror your screen using a chromecast. And your chromecast can do a whole lot more as well. Simple as googling "how to mirror my pc to my tv using chromecast"

I 'cast' stuff to my Panasonic TV using my chromecast from my computers, phone, tablet all the time.

jev
30-01-2016, 8:13am
I'll chime in here. I got a slightly smaller Panasonic TV that also provides a mirroring app. If you have a WiDi compliant PC, than you can send the screen directly to the TV. My experiences are that the connection is too slow for anything but still images (my PC doesn't support WiDi but my phone does so YMMV). I'm not really impressed with the Panasonic Viera system, it just doesn't perform well.

Instead, I use a cheap android stick that runs Airplay / DLNA Receiver. On the PC, I run AirMyPC. The combination works surprisingly well. Instead of the android stick, you could choose a real AppleTV which should work just as well with AirMyPC.

AirPlay / DLNA Receiver: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waxrain.airplayer&hl=en
AirMyPC: http://www.airmypc.com

In the end, a direct HDMI cable works best though :-D

John King
30-01-2016, 10:46am
Miracast?

Look here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

arthurking83
30-01-2016, 10:47am
@ Phil. about the number of ports on a router .. I was referring to actual devices(that you can buy) rather than theoretical devices. Never seen any modern routers with less than 4(LAN) ports(so 5 in total including the upstream port).

@ Jev. Edited your post to correct the link to airplay(you only had two ww's)
That airplay thingy looks to be Mac only .. I'm fairly sure that Cage is a PC user.

Didn't know of any of those other stuffs(Chromecast, airmypc .. etc)

So the question is with those devices .. can you actually control the computer (from the TV) whilst it's being mirrored to the TV.
That is, if the computer is a desktop in another room, and not movable then I suspect that all they do is to display the content of the PC screen up onto the TV screen.
This would be handy to use on say a mobile computer device(laptop/tablet/etc) but maybe no so much for a fixed desktop.

Got tired last night and fell asleep whilst setting up the VPN from the TV to the PC. Now have to go to work soon and don't have enough time to finish it off.

ricktas
30-01-2016, 11:01am
@ Phil. about the number of ports on a router .. I was referring to actual devices(that you can buy) rather than theoretical devices. Never seen any modern routers with less than 4(LAN) ports(so 5 in total including the upstream port).

That airplay thingy looks to be Mac only .. I'm fairly sure that Cage is a PC user.

Didn't know of any of those other stuffs(Chromecast, airmypc .. etc)

So the question is with those devices .. can you actually control the computer (from the TV) whilst it's being mirrored to the TV.
That is, if the computer is a desktop in another room, and not movable then I suspect that all they do is to display the content of the PC screen up onto the TV screen.
This would be handy to use on say a mobile computer device(laptop/tablet/etc) but maybe no so much for a fixed desktop.

Got tired last night and fell asleep whilst setting up the VPN from the TV to the PC. Now have to go to work soon and don't have enough time to finish it off.

They just mirror the computer screen, so you can play a movie, play a slideshow of your photos etc. You do it all on the pc, tablet, phone and it is mirrored to the tv

Cage
30-01-2016, 5:23pm
Thank you all very much for your help. I's most appreciated.

Although I've been building my own computers from scratch for fifteen years, I've never needed WIFI so it's all new, and confusing, to me.

I should state at this point that I only want to watch whats on the computer on the TV, and not operate the computer from the TV.

Below is a snip from the manual of the Telstra T-Gateway that I have.

As per the set-up instructions my phone is connected to the far left green port, my computer is connected to the GbE port next to the red WAN port and the red WAN port to the NBN box on my wall.

The snip shows a further connection from #1 Ethernet port to a PC, and I was wondering if I could use that to connect my computer to the T-Gateway using one of these USB 3.0 to Gigabit RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Adapter 1000Mbps For PC ....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-0-to-Gigabit-RJ45-Ethernet-LAN-Network-Adapter-1000Mbps-For-PC-Laptop-Mac-/401008027970?hash=item5d5df0e942:g:EbAAAOSwI-BWF4iT and then use the T-Gateway to send the signal to my TV.

Probably another dumb question so apologies in advance.

arthurking83
30-01-2016, 11:35pm

I should state at this point that I only want to watch whats on the computer on the TV, and not operate the computer from the TV.

My brother in law has a Panasonic TV of some description and it's gigantic. It's a bit old(er), not smart( I don't think so, anyhow) but it does connect to the network.
We've connected it to the internet for him, and I remember seeing their PC connected as a media device.
I can't remember the specifics exactly of how I connected it to the PC, other than I remember setting up file sharing on their PC(Win7 back then) .. which shared movies/photos/music.

I just assumed that the DNLA feature did all this, so they could see the photos on the PC via the media browser on the TV.

So you shouldn't need anything other than to make sure that the TV is configured onto the same network/workgroup as the PC at least .. and that you have simple file sharing on the PC turned on.

If that doesn't work .. it could be the T-box thingy set up between the TV's connection to the router.
(In my brother in law's situation, the TV is connected directly to the router).

Is the Tbox thingy connected via an RJ45 port on the TV? Does it need to be?
That is, if the Tbox has some HDMI type of output, can you not connect it to the TV that way.
(Actually I have no idea what Tbox is .... never used one. I've only dealt with cable tv setups)

So if you can connect the Tbox to another input type on the TV, freeing up the eth port on the TV to connect directly to the router .. I reckon this may get 'yer going.

jev
30-01-2016, 11:45pm
Thanks for the correction.

AirMyPC is windows software, works like a charm on my acer running Win7.

Nope, there's no control from TV on the PC. But it would be fairly easy to plug in a wireless keyboard/mouse for that. Or, if the distance keyboard - PC is too large, use the Android stick and run remote desktop on it. There's a lot of software out there that allows a remote login with mirroring. Don't know how well that works, but if anyone want to try it out => https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android

Anyway, if you just want to show media from your PC on the TV, use the media player app on the TV and let it connect to a network share from your computer. Personally, I view movies and images from my NAS (which basically is a network drive) this way. You don't need DLNA for this; AFAIK DLNA is not capable of realtime screen mirroring - DLNA is pretty restricted in the way it works anyway (I used to be pretty happy with a DLNA server running on my NAS and play from the TV. Always problems with subtitles and stuff though. I switched to Plex.TV for a while - fantastic user-interface and more reliable than DLNA, but my NAS was not capable of realtime transcoding. When I got this Panasonic, I hoped for a built-in Plex app, but that turned out to be abandoned so I dropped it. Back to DLNA for a while, than one day decided to use the "local media player" and that recognized my network too. Never looked back, the thing plays whatever formats I throw at it and is less prone to network delays.

arthurking83
31-01-2016, 12:08am
.... Personally, I view movies and images from my NAS (which basically is a network drive) this way.

That's what I finally got around to doing too.
Heaps better than coming off the computer overall.

I procrastinated about getting a NAS/Server of some type for years, wanting the features of one model, but the price and specs of another.
In the end my main image backupo drive fried itself and I had to do something .. quickly!
So I just purchased a small two bay NAS device, slotted in two new drives and hoped for the best.
This now serves as my primary backup for images, with more than enough room for growth, and the second drive in the NAS box has all other 'stuff' .. movies, music, files .. all manner of whatnot.
The NAS box is not what I actually wanted, but as my primary backup drive failed, I had to quickly do something just in case my secondary backup failed.

Kev. I see on the diagram of the network router thingy you have, there's a USB port.
There's a very high probability that this will almost certainly work as a networked USB drive.
Most routers have this feature nowadays.
All you need is a USB drive, connected to this port and enabled in the router's configs.
There's almost certain to be some gotchas and caveats in terms of what file system type you are best to use(or limited too) .. but I'd recommend using this for viewing stuff off your PC instead.
Reason: to view stuff off your PC you obviously need it on. I know this sounds obvious, but remember that this uses power. (probably 100W or more!)
Setting up the USB drive on the router uses far less power, and as it's the router, it's always on, whilst the router is on :th3:
(technically it's a NAS).
You should be able to access it from any device on the network if it's set up right on the router.
Windows just sees it as another drive once you set up windows to use it as a networked drive.

if you don't have a USB HDD to try it all with, even a USB thumbdrive will work .. if you want to test it.
It may not be as simple as chuck some files onto the USB device and plug it in.
of all the routers with this feature I've played with, usually you need to set up some sort of drive configs, such as letter allocation and user rights .. but this is usually easy to do.
if the files are to be hidden, then admin rights will do that. If the files are to be accessed by all and sundry(on the network) then blank or open user rights will give you that.
Once setup, via Windows Explorer under the Network tab on the far left, will be a listing for your router, open this and the drive will be visible.
Just be sure to name it something that makes sense so that you find it easily.

jev
31-01-2016, 9:02am
If you don't have a NAS, you could use the router as Arthur describes. Don't need to map it to a drive letter though - it's not a DOS thing.

Question: what is that T-Box thing in your diagram? You typically wouldn't need extra electronics between router and (smart) TV...

ricktas
31-01-2016, 9:21am
If you don't have a NAS, you could use the router as Arthur describes. Don't need to map it to a drive letter though - it's not a DOS thing.

Question: what is that T-Box thing in your diagram? You typically wouldn't need extra electronics between router and (smart) TV...

T-Box is one of our ISP's proprietary media box : Telstra T-Box : https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/t-box/register-and-set-up-t-box It has been discontinued and replaced with a new design called "Telstra TV"

Cage
31-01-2016, 11:32am
Thanks all.

I don't have a T-Box. I was referring to the connection from Ethernet port #1 directly to a PC.

In my ignorance it seems to me that the missing link in my chain is something to pick up the PC output and deliver it to the T-Gateway, possibly via a direct PC to T-Gateway USB cable, or via the USB/Ethernet dongle I linked to above.

The 'Smart TV' Manual, although fairly comprehensive, loses a bit in it's Chinglish translation, and seems to assume that I'm either a NASA hot-shot, or that I'm an IT/Communications geek, in that it omits the odd bit of salient info that this dumb-ass need to get his head around it all. Oh, and it was configured up to Windows 8 and I'm running W10, but hopefully there are patches available on the Panasonic website if required.

Maybe a 5m HDMI cable is the easiest way to go.

ameerat42
31-01-2016, 11:41am
It is (more below), though as Rick said above, look into a Chromecast box.

Below...
If you're going to get an HDMI cable, be aware that there are (at least) two standards.
ALMOST ANYTHING will let you connect 1080p source to 1080p receiver, such as the TV YOU HAVE NOW.

But if you want to eventually upgrade to a higher resolution TV - the 4Ks - then the lesser HDMI cable will still
only transmit a 1080p signal. If you were to go from -- now just hear me out -- 4KBlu-ray to 4K TV then you'd HOBBLE
the signal. You'd still get one to it, but it would be 1080p only and the TV would then have to work to upscale it.

Just sayin', is all. I'm not sure what the standard is for the higher capacity cable, but look for definite statements about
being able to transmit 4K on the packaging. Ye$, they do cost more than the 1080p cables.

Cage
31-01-2016, 11:46am
And no, my PC doesn't appear to have WIFI which is where the problem lies.

ameerat42
31-01-2016, 11:55am
Whod!?? I've lost track. Is it a desktop, or a laptop? If a desktop, you can get yourself an (~$20) wifi
dongle to put into a USB port. Check out the band of the dongle (N-band, AC-band, both) and compare it to those of
your router (I'd expect it would have both as well). That's if you want to go that way. I'm still partial to the cable, though,
and even if you get a 1080p version for the present.

Back to cables:
A bit of info in this tirade: http://www.cnet.com/au/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/
And more sedately here: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

Looks like you'd need a 1.4 standard.

Cage
31-01-2016, 12:04pm
Whod!?? I've lost track. Is it a desktop, or a laptop? If a desktop, you can get yourself an (~$20) wifi
dongle to put into a USB port. Check out the band of the dongle (N-band, AC-band, both) and compare it to those of
your router (I'd expect it would have both as well). That's if you want to go that way. I'm still partial to the cable, though,
and even if you get a 1080p version for the present.

Back to cables:
A bit of info in this tirade: http://www.cnet.com/au/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/
And more sedately here: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

Looks like you'd need a 1.4 standard.

Cheers Am.

It's a self-built desktop.

So the USB WIFI dongle seems to be my missing link and I can hopefully configure the TV to pick up it's signal.

Many thanks.

arthurking83
31-01-2016, 12:05pm
So you don't have a T-box between the router and the TV, and the TV is connected to the network via an ethernet cable.
Do you have an internet connection on the TV yet?

If so, then at least it's connected to the network. :th3:

Now all you need to do is to connect it to your 'homegroup' and get the TV and the PC to recognise each other.

To confirm this, on the PC in Windows Explorer, you should see the TV as some sort of device on the LHS column under Network and or Homegroup.

Even then! .. you don't really need the PC to recognise the TV at all.
With the DNLA feature on the TV, as long as you have media shares on the PC, the TV should see that.

So as per above. if the TV is connected to the internet, then at least it's connected to the router(half the job done).
Go into your apps list, is there a media/DNLA viewer thingy in there.
With the media share created on the Win10 machine, and the PC on, if you use the media viewer/DNLA app on the TV, it should recognise all media sharing devices on your network.
That includes the PC's media shares, any shared media you may have on your smartphone, or tablet device .. etc.
This is where the USB HDD comes in handy.

On my brother in law's TV, it came under a media section of the TV's menu system. But his is not a smart TV and so doesn't have 'apps' as such.

All this may work via the Wifi system of the TV too .. but I dunno how stable/capable it will be. You'd think that for a very modern TV with such a feature it should be full featured.
If the TV is close to the router (I'm assuming that the T-Gateway you referred too is the router??) I'd be more inclined to use an ethernet cable.

In your situations(as it becomes more clear) .. I'd say don't connect TV directly to the PC via HDMI cable.
if you want to view your images in a slide show manner, or manually, you have to do this via the PC. That is, you have to set the PC to automate this, or in manual mode(that is changing from slide to slide) you have to control the PC.

If you use <whatever media app> is available on the TV, you then use your remote to switch from slide to slide. Sit back on the couch with your favourite beverage and chill out watching your images slide past ... :th3:

Cage
31-01-2016, 2:13pm
@ Arthur .....

So you don't have a T-box between the router and the TV, and the TV is connected to the network via an ethernet cable.
Do you have an internet connection on the TV yet?

If so, then at least it's connected to the network.

Nope, don't have a T-Box, and the TV is a WIFI connection

Now all you need to do is to connect it to your 'homegroup' and get the TV and the PC to recognise each other.

To confirm this, on the PC in Windows Explorer, you should see the TV as some sort of device on the LHS column under Network and or Homegroup.

Nope, under Networks it only shows the T-Gateway and CAGE - PC. My PC is not WIFI enabled.

The TV is internet capable, I can go to websites, watch stuff like SBS On demand etc

This is doing my head in so I think I'll give up on it and put it in the TBH basket.

John King
31-01-2016, 2:32pm
Gidday Cage

Read up on Miracast (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2907520/how-to-use-miracast-to-mirror-your-devices-screen-wirelessly-on-your-tv.html) here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2907520/how-to-use-miracast-to-mirror-your-devices-screen-wirelessly-on-your-tv.html

Unlike Google's Chromecast, it does not require you to send everything you want to watch via Google's servers ...

(http://www.pcworld.com/article/2907520/how-to-use-miracast-to-mirror-your-devices-screen-wirelessly-on-your-tv.html)

ricktas
31-01-2016, 2:35pm

Just get a wifi USB dongle off the net, and chromecast. Plug the wifi dongle into your PC and setup (easy) and then you have a wifi enabled PC. Plug the chromecast into a spare hdmi on your tv and setup, and then you are set to go. Should cost under $100.00

ameerat42
31-01-2016, 2:58pm
SBS on demand, etc, sounds like Freeview Plus to me. That does not require an Internet connection,
only a FvP enabled TV.

To enable the Internet on your TV it needs a connection to the Net via a modem and a router. You can have
such a connection via an ethernet cable or by WiFi to your modem/router.

To have a TV connected to the Internet, you should ideally have pretty high download speeds. For MOST
ADSL2 and Cable connections, running an Ethernet cable from the router to the TV is best.

But you have the NBN and a you-"byout" WiFi router (I imagine), so you should be able to get away with a
WiFI connection. That's what I would try to set up first.

Now I've lost track of details, so I must ask: Have you set up WiFi for your router? (Never mind if it is
a combined modem/router, as it's the router part that transmits the WiFi signal. If not, then you need to
do this first so that you will have a WiFi signal. Another thing: I expect you router will be dual-band, ie,
with both a 2.4GHz (N-band) and a 5GHz (probably-AC-band). Your TV (like most) will probably ONLY be
able to use the 2.4GHz N-band. So, if you DO set up both bands on your router (and with different names
as recommended to avoid confusion), expect to see only the 2.4GHz band on your TV. AND ALSO, make sure
you are looking at your OWN WiFi, not one from your neighbour.

To set up a LAN connection on the TV, go to the manual. It will direct you to the Menu option for setting up
a network connection. You will see a choice of both methods, Ethernet and WiFi (2.4GHz).

With the WiFi method you will have to - at some stage - enter the Router's password for its WiFi network.
Do that and within a few shakes you will be connected to your LAN via WiFi:nod: and :)

AFTER THAT...
Well, many TV browsers and TV input devices are HOPEless-ly slow and NOT DEVOTED to you when it comes
to inputting stuff. I find I do MINIMAL browsing on the TV. Mine, unfortunately, does not accept a normal USB
keyboard/mouse:(:(

Anyway, you'll have the TV as part of your LAN, and who knows what....

- - - Updated - - -

Just get a wifi USB dongle off the net, and chromecast. Plug the wifi dongle into your PC and setup (easy) and then you have a wifi enabled PC. Plug the chromecast into a spare hdmi on your tv and setup, and then you are set to go. Should cost under $100.00

As aforesaid, agree this will be easiest for TV-Computer connectivity and sharing. (My next move.)
You will still have to enable WiFi on your router.

You can do both: get a Chromecast device AND set up TV to network/Internet.

ricktas
31-01-2016, 3:00pm
As aforesaid, agree this will be easiest for TV-Computer connectivity and sharing. (My next move.)
You will still have to enable WiFi on your router.

No you won't. Wifi dongle and chromecast can talk to each other directly, without the need for wifi on the router, if you are only going to use it to mirror your computer

BUT, if you want to use the chromecas to watch netflix or youtube etc, you will need internet, which means enabling the wifi on the router.

arthurking83
31-01-2016, 3:11pm
@ Arthur .....

Nope, under Networks it only shows the T-Gateway and CAGE - PC. My PC is not WIFI enabled.

It's probably a lot easier than you think.

What I think has happened, is that the T-gateway (router) has separated the wifi network from the cabled one. (ie, could be set to a guest network or whatever)
could even be something simple such as a separated IP allocation.

If the TV has a wired connection, I'd say do that(if it's easy to cable it to the T-Gateway).

Going by your schematic, it looks like the router(gateway) is a TG797n v3(as far as I can see).
The manual for it is useless, and doesn't explain anything about the device.(typical ISP devices .. all pretty much useless!)

The config web page for the device appears to be 10.0.0.183, where if you type that address number into your favourite web browser on your PC, it'll take you into the configuration pages of the router .. where you can set some stuff to make it all work.

I had a quick look and the router seems to be a Thompson branded device.
I found a manual for the Thompson branded device and it seems to be very similar to Telstras rebranded item.

The USB port does do UPnP/DNLA .. this is what you want(as you seem to be only interested in browsing your media on your PC .. yeah?)

Like I said earlier .. I reckon forget about connecting the TV to the PC. It's a bit more cumbersome, and obviously the power wastage in having the PC on to view the media.
use the USB port on the router.
In the Thompson manual it says that many file systems are possible. For simplicities sake, I'd say just use FAT32(unless you want to store large video files!)

Note too that you can connect up to 5 USB storage devices to this port too(via a USB hub obviously!) .. not many routers allow this(most more modern ones do tho).
So for example, if you want to really save power, instead of using a USB HDD(which uses power) you can connect multiple USB thumbdrives, which use far less power!

Anyhow, what you would then do is to go through the router's config page and set up the USB devices as either File Server(for any file type) .. or UPnP(for media).
I'm assuming that the differences will be that while you can access any file type with the file server mode, you won't get the eye candy interface that the UPnP mode will give you(again this is common).
The problem that I can see with Filer Server mode is that the TV may not recognise it(again only first hand interaction will tell!).
So the UPnP mode is the best choice to use.

Actually .. instead of me rabbiting on like a looney tunes character .. here's a link to the much more informative Thompson TG797n v2 manual! (https://www.telecombusinesshub.co.nz/Internet/Broadband/Documents/Thomson_TG797n_v2_User_Guide.pdf) :th3:

For the Content Sharing section scroll down to pg 73(and beyond) of the PDF .. which translates to pg 65 of the actual paper copy.

Hopefully Telstra haven't stuffed up the configuration interface too much from the original Thompson one too tho.

if you configure the USB storage feature on the router, then all you then need to do is drag and drop any files from the PC to the USB storage device on the Router(under the Network tab in Windows Explorer)

side note: Jev said earlier that you don't need to set a drive assignment to the shared storage drive on the router. That's true.
But if you do set up a networked drive in Windows, then it comes up as another drive(just like your C:\ Drive and D:\ drive under the This PC index in Windows Explorer)
So if you do something like this(which is done via Windows!!) .. you would for example call it a T:\ drive(which makes sense for obvious reasons).
Why this is handy is that not all software is made network aware. And as I don't know what software you always use .. sometimes it's handy to have the mapped drive for those software that aren't.

eg. say you use a program called PhabulousImage101, which is uber fantastic for editing images and making them look super sharp .. but the software is light and small and fast(because they haven't bloated it with network awareness addons!)
You can't then see this router shared drive as a source or destination in that program, so you need to send the files you uber edited via some other program(usually windows explorer or whatever).
By setting up a networked drive(ie. mapped drive to T:\) in PhabulousImage101 the drive that shouldn't be seen is now seen .. as the T:\ drive.

If you want more help don't be afraid to ask (PM or email .. or whatever).

Cage
31-01-2016, 3:50pm
The WIFI connection seems fine.

I just had AP up on the TV via google, and it has saved links to YouTube etc in it's apps menu.

The PC is already connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable so I need to work out how to display the PC on the TV.

@ Arthur .... Thanks for the link to the modem. Mine is called 'technicolour' but the model # is the same, TG797n v3.

This is a snip of the T-Gateway page . Dunno if it helps.

Cage
31-01-2016, 5:41pm
I've noticed that my TV displays three available networks, a Telstra one that is the internet connection, plus another Telstra one and an Optus one. The latter two I suspect are the result of signals the TV is picking up from the two respective local 4G towers.

I'm leaning towards Rick's and Am's suggestion for a USB WIFI Dongle in the hope that the TV will pick up it's signal and all I have to do then is configure the TV to display the input, or go with Rick's Chromecast suggestion on the TV.

ameerat42
31-01-2016, 6:33pm
The other two could belong to your neighbours. I suppose you can ID yours by its name.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and this is PURELY as an aside:
Just a while ago I was watching one of those "Selling channels" where they were featuring a device
called a GO-GO stick - a so-described micro-computer that plugs into you TV's HDMI nad USB ports
and also touted as a "Chromecast/AppleTV/Ruko/... - killer". You know, one of those long-winded ads
where you wait years till they get to the price... Anyway, yeah,... this is it. (http://www.gogotvstick.com/)

Wonders never crease! - Have you ever seen a wrinkled wonder? :confused013

Cage
31-01-2016, 8:14pm
The other two could belong to your neighbours. I suppose you can ID yours by its name.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and this is PURELY as an aside:
Just a while ago I was watching one of those "Selling channels" where they were featuring a device
called a GO-GO stick - a so-described micro-computer that plugs into you TV's HDMI nad USB ports
and also touted as a "Chromecast/AppleTV/Ruko/... - killer". You know, one of those long-winded ads
where you wait years till they get to the price... Anyway, yeah,... this is it. (http://www.gogotvstick.com/)

Wonders never crease! - Have you ever seen a wrinkled wonder? :confused013

Astute observation Am. :th3:

I know my neighbor on one side has Optus NBN, and the neighbor on the other side has Telstra NBN so that possibly solves that riddle.

I'll have a look at the GoGo stick. Does it come with a pole ? :lol:

ameerat42
31-01-2016, 8:31pm
Yes. A small antenna flips up. - Silly, but troo:D

arthurking83
01-02-2016, 11:57pm
The two important boxes in that block are:

Devices: one eth one Wifi .. so like you said, it seems the PC and the TV are connected.

The next important info box is on the last line, second from the left.

Content Sharing: File Server enabled and DNLA enabled.

I reckon plug in any USB storage device(whatever you have available for now).
Plug it into the USB port on the router

That title called Content Sharing looks like it's clickable, which probably opens a box to get into some settings.
Somewhere in there should be some configs to set file system type and so forth.
It'll be easy to set up.
Once you do that, whatever device you plug into the USB port on the router should subsequently be seen in Windows Explorer under either or both, the Network index, and or some media area(maybe). . but for sure under the Network index, under the name of the router.

eg. a screen cap of my Windows Explorer index

Note under the R6300(my router) there is a folder called TV Drive. This is a folder I created on an old USB HDD connected to my router. There is no drive letter assigned(I haven't mapped this one) so it onlyu comes up under the network list, under the device that hosts it(the router).
This is accessible by the PC and also by my TV under the media menu.
(it's old recorded tv shows and stuff like that).
I can easily send any file to that folder via Windows Explorer ... copy/cut/paste/send to(if I set that up) .. etc
So if I send something to that folder on the PC, in a few moments it's there for the TV to see it too.

--------------------

Above that is a listing for the DNS-327L. This is my new 'emergency' Network Attached Server(NAS) box. (I had to get something to replace my dead main photo archive storage drive, and this was basically it)
This is also under the Network tab in the index too.
Note it's a two bay NAS, where I have two HDDs installed. One is for all media(Volume1) and the other is set as my (now) primary backup for photos(Volume2) .. the replacement for the dead USB3 drive I used to use.
Both those two NAS drives have been mapped to Windows, and also come up under This PC .. just like your regular drives do. Vol1 is Y:\ and Vol2 is X:\
Again, with this system, you can easily send files to(and from) any of those drives via Windows Explorer.

-------------------

Basically what this means, is that you can use any such drive device(on the router) as a back up location if you feel it's needed. Otherwise, just use something like that as the primary media storage.
The bonus is that any device can write to that drive(if you set it up that way) .. ie. allow all rights.
So for example, lets say you're browsing stuff on the tv and you download something to view, you should(in theory) be able to save it to the networked drive .. and then later be able to see it on the PC if you like .. nd vice versa.

- - - Updated - - -

The two important boxes in that block are:

Devices: one eth one Wifi .. so like you said, it seems the PC and the TV are connected.

The next important info box is on the last line, second from the left.

Content Sharing: File Server enabled and DNLA enabled.

I reckon plug in any USB storage device(whatever you have available for now).
Plug it into the USB port on the router

That title called Content Sharing looks like it's clickable, which probably opens a box to get into some settings.
Somewhere in there should be some configs to set file system type and so forth.
It'll be easy to set up.
Once you do that, whatever device you plug into the USB port on the router should subsequently be seen in Windows Explorer under either or both, the Network index, and or some media area(maybe). . but for sure under the Network index, under the name of the router.

eg. a screen cap of my Windows Explorer index

Note under the R6300(my router) there is a folder called TV Drive. This is a folder I created on an old USB HDD connected to my router. There is no drive letter assigned(I haven't mapped this one) so it onlyu comes up under the network list, under the device that hosts it(the router).
This is accessible by the PC and also by my TV under the media menu.
(it's old recorded tv shows and stuff like that).
I can easily send any file to that folder via Windows Explorer ... copy/cut/paste/send to(if I set that up) .. etc
So if I send something to that folder on the PC, in a few moments it's there for the TV to see it too.

--------------------

Above that is a listing for the DNS-327L. This is my new 'emergency' Network Attached Server(NAS) box. (I had to get something to replace my dead main photo archive storage drive, and this was basically it)
This is also under the Network tab in the index too.
Note it's a two bay NAS, where I have two HDDs installed. One is for all media(Volume1) and the other is set as my (now) primary backup for photos(Volume2) .. the replacement for the dead USB3 drive I used to use.
Both those two NAS drives have been mapped to Windows, and also come up under This PC .. just like your regular drives do. Vol1 is Y:\ and Vol2 is X:\
Again, with this system, you can easily send files to(and from) any of those drives via Windows Explorer.

-------------------

Basically what this means, is that you can use any such drive device(on the router) as a back up location if you feel it's needed. Otherwise, just use something like that as the primary media storage.
The bonus is that any device can write to that drive(if you set it up that way) .. ie. allow all rights.
So for example, lets say you're browsing stuff on the tv and you download something to view, you should(in theory) be able to save it to the networked drive .. and then later be able to see it on the PC if you like .. nd vice versa.

ps. moral of the story: if I were to spend any money on anything(in your situation) .. I'd be getting say a 1Tb USB drive(USB2 is fine) .. keep it cheap/affordable. You can never have too many HDDs

Cage
02-02-2016, 1:51am
Many thanks again Arthur.

While I was looking in File Explorer at the network tab I was rather disconcerted to see the following pop up.

I don't own anything 'KOGAN' so it has me baffled. It keeps popping up for a minute or so then goes away. I grabbed a Properties snip of it and googling comes up with a download for a 'tun.ko module for a KOGAN Android TV'

Could I be picking up a signal of some sort from one of my neighbours.

Very Confusing.

arthurking83
02-02-2016, 10:07am

Could I be picking up a signal of some sort from one of my neighbours.

Very Confusing.

Definitely a neighbour(if you don't any Kogan devices).

That tun.ko download message is a small file used to helps getting a VPN going. It's for the Kogan device.

What's curious is why the T-Gateway allows the Kogan device(could be a TV) to access your PC network, but it's not allowing the Panasonic TV? .. YOUR! Panasonic TV.

What you can do in the router(most good routers have this feature) is to set specific mac addresses through into the network .. or not.,
This is called mac address filtering.

It could be under the [Wireless], [Devices] or the [Local Network] boxes(I really dunno).

Some of those routing type devices have the ability to allow mac addresses only(handy, but painful to setup).
And some have the ability to allow mac addresses, but also deny specific mac addresses into the network(very handy .. especially in your situation here).

You already know the mac address of the Kogan thing now(04:3D:98:A0:E4:CA) :th3:
If the T-Gateway has a mac filtering feature .. and allows you to set it to 'deny' or 'block' mode, then type that address into the address field.

Now, in saying that, if the Kogan wifi device has been allowed access to the wifi network and the T-Gateway only says 1 Wifi device connected, is the TV(your TV) actually connected?
Or is there a time lag between some of those screen shots(eg. where the number of wifi devices on the T-Gateway may now be 2 or more devices).

Anyhow ... my two recommendations.
If you don't really need wifi, turn it off. That is, if the device is close to the router and can be cabled in .. better off cabling it! ;)
With wifi off, you don't get these intruder devices .. even tho in general they're harmless(it's pretty unlikely that next door is snooping on you and your stuff)
It's just cross talk ..
You can minimise it by turning off the discovery settings on the router. There's a setting labelled SSID which broadcasts the name of the router continuously. It's helps new devices find it.
Once your device has been connected tho, the SSID broadcast isn't needed. Some older wifi devices may need it .. but this is rare. You almost certainly don't have one so don't need to worry 'bout it.
Do you have a wifi/smart type phone .. or any other wifi-ish device(tablet, camera .. etc)

Cage
02-02-2016, 2:45pm
I think the easiest way to watch a website on my TV is to load the website into the TV's favorites menu via google, a procedure I used to view AP on the TV. A bit more mucking around than pushing a couple of buttons on the remote, but it will do for the odd time that I'd use it.

re the available networks on my TV:

- The first is my router showing my routers ID and is password protected, with five bars of signal strength
- The next is an Optus connection, also PW protected, with 3 bars of signal. My Optus neighbour's router is about 5m away from my TV.
- The last is another Telstra router # with 2 bars, also PW protected. The other neighbour has Telstra NBN and their router is about 15m away.

As all these connections seem to be Password Protected I don't feel I have any problems in this area.

I just spoke to my Optus neighbour and she does indeed have a Kogan TV. She assures me that it is up to date with software, but why it is offering Apps to my Computer/TV and not her's is a mystery. Seems harmless so I'll just ignore it.

Thank you all again for you help and patience, particularly Uncle Arthur. :th3:

arthurking83
03-02-2016, 9:40pm

I just spoke to my Optus neighbour and she does indeed have a Kogan TV. She assures me that it is up to date with software, but why it is offering Apps to my Computer/TV and not her's is a mystery. Seems harmless so I'll just ignore it ......

No probs Kev ..

What you may want to do, if that Kogan thing persists on your network:

Try to find the mac address filtering feature on the router, and strictly set it to not allow this device on your network.
You're sort of doing your neighbour a favour, in that, once the Kogan thing is attached to your network(when it actually is attached!), she can't connect it to hers. (you can only connect these devices to one network at a time.

Otherwise: If it's not connected to your network, work out with her that it's connected to hers. Once it's connected to hers, it won't appear on your network(coz of the one network at a time limitation).
Problem is, if her network goes down or is off and your is on, the Kogan thing will try to connect to your network again .. and so on ~ in perpetuity.
So the best way to stop it connecting to your network(and therefore doing your neighbour a favour) is to ban it from your network(ie. router) with the mac address filtering.

All good for your network security and all .. but the Kogan thing still connected to it!
And if it's not yours, and the network is password protected, how did this thing connect.

I don't want to worry you or nothing .. but as it's a TV(if it is indeed a TV) and TVs are generally used to watch movies of some type(can of course do other stuff, but movies are their forte!) .. movies do usually require a fair amount of bandwidth if downloading said movies from the net .. so ... err ... I'd be more mindful of it ... and, booting it off the network sooner rather than later.

Cage
03-02-2016, 10:39pm
No probs Kev ..

What you may want to do, if that Kogan thing persists on your network:

Try to find the mac address filtering feature on the router, and strictly set it to not allow this device on your network.
You're sort of doing your neighbour a favour, in that, once the Kogan thing is attached to your network(when it actually is attached!), she can't connect it to hers. (you can only connect these devices to one network at a time.

Otherwise: If it's not connected to your network, work out with her that it's connected to hers. Once it's connected to hers, it won't appear on your network(coz of the one network at a time limitation).
Problem is, if her network goes down or is off and your is on, the Kogan thing will try to connect to your network again .. and so on ~ in perpetuity.
So the best way to stop it connecting to your network(and therefore doing your neighbour a favour) is to ban it from your network(ie. router) with the mac address filtering.

All good for your network security and all .. but the Kogan thing still connected to it!
And if it's not yours, and the network is password protected, how did this thing connect.

I don't want to worry you or nothing .. but as it's a TV(if it is indeed a TV) and TVs are generally used to watch movies of some type(can of course do other stuff, but movies are their forte!) .. movies do usually require a fair amount of bandwidth if downloading said movies from the net .. so ... err ... I'd be more mindful of it ... and, booting it off the network sooner rather than later.

Cheers Arthur.

Mate, it has been bugging me, so I will definitely do as you suggested and get rid of it for peace of mind.

Thanks again.

Cage
04-02-2016, 12:50am
The more I look into this the more I wonder if it may in fact be something to do with my phone.

I googled 'what is the use of a tun.ko' and found this ..... https://droidvpn.com/page/what-is-the-use-of-tunko-1/

Most of it went straight over my head.

ameerat42
04-02-2016, 10:04am
Surely it's nothing but your computer/phone/other device showing you what other networks are available.
I get the same thing: neighbour's Wifi. Can't log on, though. Pwd protected and wooden wanna annyway.

arthurking83
04-02-2016, 11:22am
The more I look into this the more I wonder if it may in fact be something to do with my phone.

What phone? ... brand/model.

Cage
04-02-2016, 12:07pm
Surely it's nothing but your computer/phone/other device showing you what other networks are available.
I get the same thing: neighbour's Wifi. Can't log on, though. Pwd protected and wooden wanna annyway.

Cheers Am.

- - - Updated - - -

What phone? ... brand/model.

My phone is an HTC One and I've just enabled WIFI and Mobile Data and it doesn't show up on my Network. Strange !! I've just been notified of a system update for my phone, usually about 1Gb, and as my data limit on the phone is 300Mb I've been using my old TP-Link modem to download the updates via the internet. Now I have to suss out how to do it with my new set-up.

I've never had a need for WiFi so am a complete dummy about it's uses and pitfalls. Guess it's time to move into the 21st Century.

It would seem that every time one of my neighbours, or even someone passing my house with a WIFI enabled device, has that device turned on, my computer network recognises the device and shows my network as available, but only with the appropriate password, which I have a horrible feeling is the generic one, as in my eagerness to get the NBN up and running I think I forgot to go back and change it. I currently have a TI Blaze tablet on my network.

The times sure are a-changing. My first radio consisted of a Gillette razor blade, a safety pin, some copper wire wound around a cardboard toilet paper insert and an earpiece from a trashed PMG phone handset. I ran the aerial wire to the clothes line. And believe it or not, it worked.

I'm off to change my password and work out how to update my phone with my new u-beaut WIFI thingy. :confused013

Cage
04-02-2016, 2:16pm
Updated my phone with no problems. :nod:

John King
04-02-2016, 2:31pm
Good that it went well, Kev.

The default passphrase in any modern modem is usually: 1) pretty darn strong - mine is about 10 digits long, i.e.10^10 power permutations and combinations; and 2) Unique to that device, and is not related to the MAC address or IP address, so should not be discoverable via its connection to the Internet.

Cage
04-02-2016, 2:50pm
Good that it went well, Kev.

The default passphrase in any modern modem is usually: 1) pretty darn strong - mine is about 10 digits long, i.e.10^10 power permutations and combinations; and 2) Unique to that device, and is not related to the MAC address or IP address, so should not be discoverable via its connection to the Internet.

Cheers John.

I think I decided initially that the password was unique to my particular device and decided to leave it as was.

My last mystery is why my network doesn't show my mobile phone. I've proved that they are talking to one and other coz I've just updated the phone via WIFI. Strange I see other folks devices but not my own. :confused013

John King
04-02-2016, 3:13pm
You nee to put your WiFi modem/router into discovery mode by pressing the button on it for this purpose. Once it and your phone have paired, they will always know about each other. We have a number of phones and a tablet and laptop in the house. They all get along OK with the WiFi. They all use DHCP IP addys. All the PCs are wired and have fixed IP addresses up in the mid one hundred range. The three printers have IP addys going downwards from xxx.xxx.xxx.254 .

arthurking83
04-02-2016, 6:58pm
If the update was for a particular phone provider's phone model, then the update (data) is free(from your regular data limit).

So in your situation Kev, if you have 300Mb data limit and say with Telstra(or whoever) the 1Gb phone update doesn't count in your data allowance.

But! .. lets say you had a 5Gb data limit on your internet provider's plan .. and you used Wifi for the download .. then the 1Gb download for the phone will count towards your data count.
So for the rest of the month, you only have 4Gb of data for the remainder of the month!
(Obviously I dunno what internet plan you're on .. just using examples)

I always update phones on the phone network, never over Wifi .. but if I'm in a hurry(ie. and hence want the download quick .. and not in an hour or two) .. then I'll use the phone manufacturer's companion software and do it over USB on the PC.
That is, the 1Gb of data is downloaded over your ISP's data line .. but is much quicker than even 4G on the phone network .. and the update takes maybe 15 mins or so instead of a couple of hours.

As for why your network isn't showing your mobile phone: I'd say it's because they're most likely on different networks within your network. This can easily happen if not configured right.

You'll need to check via the router's config pages how your 'networks' are set up.

Cage
04-02-2016, 7:07pm
If the update was for a particular phone provider's phone model, then the update (data) is free(from your regular data limit).

So in your situation Kev, if you have 300Mb data limit and say with Telstra(or whoever) the 1Gb phone update doesn't count in your data allowance.

But! .. lets say you had a 5Gb data limit on your internet provider's plan .. and you used Wifi for the download .. then the 1Gb download for the phone will count towards your data count.
So for the rest of the month, you only have 4Gb of data for the remainder of the month!
(Obviously I dunno what internet plan you're on .. just using examples)

I always update phones on the phone network, never over Wifi .. but if I'm in a hurry(ie. and hence want the download quick .. and not in an hour or two) .. then I'll use the phone manufacturer's companion software and do it over USB on the PC.
That is, the 1Gb of data is downloaded over your ISP's data line .. but is much quicker than even 4G on the phone network .. and the update takes maybe 15 mins or so instead of a couple of hours.

As for why your network isn't showing your mobile phone: I'd say it's because they're most likely on different networks within your network. This can easily happen if not configured right.

You'll need to check via the router's config pages how your 'networks' are set up.

Arthur, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that my phone update goes against it's usage.

Anyway it doesn't matter now as with the NBN I have 100Gb of data @ 100Mbs, so win, win! This 300Mb download happened in a blink.