PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D500 DX camera

Lance B
06-01-2016, 11:19am
Nikon D500 DX camera announced:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d500.html

I @ M
06-01-2016, 12:34pm
Thanks Lance, interesting looking beast.
First things that spring to mind is ( having only looked at the images ) that there is no built in flash and no AE-L AF-L lock button.

The lack of a flash I can understand, the lock button, maybe I am the last person in the world to use it ---- :D

arthurking83
06-01-2016, 2:58pm
..... the lock button, maybe I am the last person in the world to use it ---- :D

They changed this method with the D4s!
Apparently no one really wants it or uses it any more .. and I reckon you may the second last person in the world to use it! ;)

FWIW: I think you now set your lock(AE or FV or whatever) via a function button. D5 has three on it's front side.

Still would'a been nice to have that second extra button up there, where the AE-L button was, as a function button so as to assign it to something useful to each individual.

The other thing I noticed about the D500 are the 3 small holes on the back panel near the AF-On, joystick. Those small holes usually relate to a small microphone .. but their location would suggest not for the video ability .. and more likely for small voice annotations by the operator! :th3:
(Been wanting that for about 10 years now in a camera!)

swifty
06-01-2016, 4:37pm
Could have commented in either this or the D5 thread but the auto AF fine tune thing is what's getting me excited. Still need more info on the implementation though.
So Lance, have you pre-ordered the D500 yet? ;)

MissionMan
06-01-2016, 5:14pm
I'm interested in this as a second body to go with my D750 and replace my aging D700.

Looks like a nice piece of work. I would have liked the D5 as well but Ausphotography are skimping on their presents this year and all I got was larger image sizes :D

Lance B
06-01-2016, 10:53pm
Could have commented in either this or the D5 thread but the auto AF fine tune thing is what's getting me excited. Still need more info on the implementation though.
So Lance, have you pre-ordered the D500 yet? ;)

The more I read, the more likely I will get one. :)

There are some very interesting features, not least of which is that Auto Fine Tuning you mention, but also the FPS, the new faster AF, the extra AF points and the High ISO ability. Also, it is built very similar to the D810 meaning that i can swap from one camera to the other without getting lost, which was a bit of an issue when I owned the D7200 for a month or so.

swifty
07-01-2016, 1:26pm
Also, it is built very similar to the D810 meaning that i can swap from one camera to the other without getting lost, which was a bit of an issue when I owned the D7200 for a month or so.

Small things but it might be a bit frustrating (initially) swapping the ISO and mode buttons from the POV that we have to relearn something that has been a Nikon UI for a long time up until the D5/D500 generation.

Silly I know but I really like the inclusion of that small joystick to control AF points and its right next to the AF-ON button!! :th3:

petersimages
07-01-2016, 6:02pm
Faster FPS, better AF, and huge buffer in a strong build. And looks like it uses the same battery as the D810. I am impressed. :th3:
PDF of Nikon D500
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

cupic
08-01-2016, 5:24pm
I would have liked the options similar to D5 as in 2 sd cards instead if 1 SD 1 XQD

cheers

arthurking83
09-01-2016, 8:22am
I would have liked the options similar to D5 as in 2 sd cards instead if 1 SD 1 XQD

cheers

Then folks would have complained that the buffer capacity is too shallow!

No point in shooting 10fps and have only 1.5s worth of that shooting time available.

You'll find that most folks will slowly switch to XQD cards as they realise the speed advantage.

Personally, I reckon two XQD cards would have been preferable, or as the minimum, one CF and one XQD.

While many people will almost certainly be trading up from the now prehistoric D300s and some from a D7200(maybe??) .. most of those D300s owners will almost certainly have had CF cards as their primary media(even tho the D300s also has an SD card slot). Reason is, many of them probably updated to the D300s from either a D300 or D200 which only uses a CF card .. so CF cards will be the primary media type they'd have been used too.

MattNQ
09-01-2016, 2:38pm
I could live with a D500 for all my sports shots I think. Should be a cracker..

sent from Earth via tapatalk

cupic
09-01-2016, 4:07pm
Know to find out the price where it will eventually fall to
As with Ted's Camera has them for $2995 body
Let it cool down and wait for a agreeable price say 2K

cheers

I @ M
09-01-2016, 4:37pm
An enthusiastic review from someone let loose with it pre release ------ http://www.ishootshows.com/2016/01/05/shooting-impressions-on-assignment-with-the-nikon-d500-and-sb-5000/

arthurking83
10-01-2016, 7:27am
An enthusiastic review from someone let loose .....

Excuse me while I scream like a fangirl at a One Direction concert!

cupic
25-01-2016, 6:38pm
The problem is which combo of XQD and SD cards ...So many different series that are available and to choose from
Ideas?

Lance ....where are you in the queue?

cheers

I @ M
25-01-2016, 7:17pm
The problem is which combo of XQD and SD cards ...So many different series that are available and to choose from
Ideas?

Having a spot of bother seeing what the problem is cupic, if you are in the market to buy the latest tech in cameras it seems totally logical to but the latest tech ( series ) of xqd cards to match. The performance of the latest cards is better ( so they tell me ) than the first generation so it only seems fitting to arm the newest camera on the block with the latest cards.

arthurking83
25-01-2016, 10:36pm
.... The performance of the latest cards is better ( so they tell me ) than the first generation so it only seems fitting to arm the newest camera on the block with the latest cards.

I agree!
But again in saying that, the older gen XQD cards are still much faster than any CF or SD card! ..

The biggest disappointment with the D800 series cameras has been Nikon's non use of an XQD card slot on at least one of the two available slots.

What the 'ell do I want a slow as molasses, easily to lose, consumer level SD card slot in a pro body with a massive file size count :confused013

FWIW: I have an SD card in the slot, but the only time I've ever used it was once to test it .. and two because I'm a goofball and forgot to take the CF card out of the reader, and put it back into the camera again when I doing a sensor clean .. Doh!

I almost forgot the one other time I made a short video to see how the video feature works and have the camera set to store on the SD card.

But the one time when I was allocated the unenviable task of video capturing duties for a day .. I then set the camera to capture all video on the CF card .. and any still I captured to the SD card instead(just for this days shooting).

Hopefully for the D800 replacement Nikon decide to use 1 XQD and 1 CF card slot.

cupic
25-01-2016, 10:42pm
Having a spot of bother seeing what the problem is cupic, if you are in the market to buy the latest tech in cameras it seems totally logical to but the latest tech ( series ) of xqd cards to match. The performance of the latest cards is better ( so they tell me ) than the first generation so it only seems fitting to arm the newest camera on the block with the latest cards.

Had a look at on line Oz sellers and with the D500 comes cards that Sony have developed ..but the thing is that the cards on sale here are discontinued in the states .Plus the price on cards compared to elsewhere are less than 1/2 price for the newer cards available compared to the older versions here in Oz

cheers

Lance B
25-01-2016, 11:09pm
I buy cards from B&H Photo - even with their freight, the cards are cheaper then any Aussie seller. I do not know why this is, as they are just cards and we seem to be able to compete with the prices any where in the world for lens and camera prices, why not a simple thing like cards? I always buy Australian for my cameras, lenses and anything, else where I can, but the card prices are just stupid locally.

I am in Tokyo at the moment and the local price for a D500 is AU$3,000!!! In Oz they are going to be under $2,500 - I've already had notification. Every Nikon lens I have seen over here is dearer than you can buy locally in Oz.

I have no issue with having to upgrade cards as I will have to upgrade anyway, this is just a technology upgrade that all cameras will have to because of the size of sensors and the throughput that they have to deal with nowadays. In other words, we will all have to upgrade to these sorts of cards anyway at some stage due to technological requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree!
But again in saying that, the older gen XQD cards are still much faster than any CF or SD card! ..

The biggest disappointment with the D800 series cameras has been Nikon's non use of an XQD card slot on at least one of the two available slots.

What the 'ell do I want a slow as molasses, easily to lose, consumer level SD card slot in a pro body with a massive file size count :confused013

I don't think that an XQD card would have made any difference as it is the EXPEED processor couldn't process these large files fast enough anyway.

arthurking83
25-01-2016, 11:29pm

I don't think that an XQD card would have made any difference as it is the EXPEED processor couldn't process these large files fast enough anyway.

The buffer still takes too long to clear (of course only for those times when you need it too).
But also transferring those captured files to the computer. XQD is faster in both read and write times.

As for the inevitable upgrade reasoning .. I fully agree.
Started with a couple of 2G cards on the D70s .. and while they are still CF cards and could easily be used in the D800(or D300) ... in real terms they are useless and next to useless(respectively).
I think that 2 Gig capacity would store about 5 images on a D800, and maybe 100 or so on the D300.
But more infuriating would have been the basically non existent speed in write times(from camera to card).
I can even imagine shooting a series of 12 frames in 3 seconds or so. 1 the card would probably be full :p .. or less tongue in cheek .. it'd take about 3 hours to write to those old 2gig cards
anyhow .. making the D800 all locked up and useless.

On the D70s they are practically very old hat gear .. replaced with less old hat 4G cards.

After 10 years of use tho .. those old 2g cards have paid for themselves over and again many times. I have no issue if they suddenly failed.
Actually I wish they fail at some point and some of my other Sandisk cards to stop dying on me.

If the card costs say $200 or $300 and lasts you 5 to 10 years .. at $20 - $60 per year isn't really a lot of $'s to pay for quality stuff!

ricktas
26-01-2016, 7:35am
I'm interested in this as a second body to go with my D750 and replace my aging D700.

Looks like a nice piece of work. I would have liked the D5 as well but Ausphotography are skimping on their presents this year and all I got was larger image sizes :D

Considering how you have been so far this year, you are on the naughty list, so you better pull your socks up.:lol:

cupic
26-01-2016, 8:49am
I am in Tokyo at the moment and the local price for a D500 is AU$3,000!!! In Oz they are going to be under $2,500 - I've already had notification. Every Nikon lens I have seen over here is dearer than you can buy locally in Oz.

So yours is on standby Lance ready for a Easter shoot.....Noice ...... Looking forward for your results to shine through

cheers

cupic
07-02-2016, 1:04pm
Since demand is high shipment has been delayed till End April to Oz

cupic
17-02-2016, 6:27pm
WELL

Seems Corporate Nikon World has mandated the rrp in Oz

Guess what !

Its gone up to what some reseller advertised for and I pre ordered

Looks like to start price on debut $2770

I @ M
17-02-2016, 6:47pm
WELL

Seems Corporate Nikon World has mandated the rrp in Oz

Guess what !

Its gone up to what some reseller advertised for and I pre ordered

Looks like to start price on debut $2770

Well it would be unlawful for a wholesaler to dictate what a retailer can charge for a product wouldn't it? :rolleyes:
Therefore dealers will be able to sell them for whatever they feel like, I already see it available as a preorder for $5.00 cheaper than your price cupic. :lol2:

But hey, in the world of cameras you just think like cars, you are buying a Porsche ( Nikon ) and not a Proton ( Canon ) :p

arthurking83
17-02-2016, 6:48pm
That's actually not too bad .. even tho it's wayyy overpriced.
Taking into account that the US price is $2K, and considering the current exchange rate .. it should be over $2.8K!

So just under $2.8K is OK .. although still overpriced.

If they come down to below AU$2K .. I'll open my wallet for one too.

MissionMan
17-02-2016, 6:59pm
They will drop eventually. I tend to wait for the specials to start before I buy. I bought my D750 for about $300-400 below retail and it wasn't long after it was released.

That said, I think people who complain about the price need to be aware that's its not in line with something like the D300. It's a pro quality DX body which may appeal to a lot of sports photographers who don't need the wider side. It's bigger than the full frame D750, has weather proofing and runs at the same speed as the D4 with a D5 focus engine. I'm pretty impressed overall with what it is.

I @ M
17-02-2016, 7:07pm
That said, I think people who complain about the price need to be aware that's its not in line with something like the D300. It's a pro quality DX body which may appeal to a lot of sports photographers who don't need the wider side.

It is exactly an evolution from the D200 - D300 series bodies that are robust and reliable. Time moves quickly and the D500 will actually be cheaper than the relative D200 - D300 prices at launch.

If they come down to below AU$2K .. I'll open my wallet for one too.

I will consider opening my wallet for one when the 2x D200 bodies here die so I reckon I might buy one in 5 years time. :p

Lance B
17-02-2016, 8:28pm

So yours is on standby Lance ready for a Easter shoot.....Noice ...... Looking forward for your results to shine through

cheers

You were in Tokyo on the 26th January? What a coincidence, so was I! My wife and I were in Kyoto from the 19th to the 22nd, and then in Tokyo from the 22nd to the 27th. It's a shame I didn't know you were there, we could have met up and had dinner.

MissionMan
18-02-2016, 9:44am
It is exactly an evolution from the D200 - D300 series bodies that are robust and reliable. Time moves quickly and the D500 will actually be cheaper than the relative D200 - D300 prices at launch.

I will consider opening my wallet for one when the 2x D200 bodies here die so I reckon I might buy one in 5 years time. :p

I agree they were robust but the D300 never had weather sealing. I think they've moved it into the same realm as the D800 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arthurking83
18-02-2016, 10:55am

OK, give them to me, I'll kill 'em in no time! :p

I'm sort of in the market(really really sort of!) as I kind'a killed the poor ol D70s.
Actually my son started the process, noticing a spec on the mirror which I know he tried to clean. Anyhow, when he got back from his trip, he told me about it and I went to investigate. Barely touched the mirror surface and it flaked off. Now it's pretty useless, so I 'experimented' a little with the mirror surface and it's even more useless now.

So 'fingers' gets the D300 as his main camera(as the D70s is uselessly useless!) and lil miss 13 also wants a better camera than the compact she's had for a while now(she's out grown it).
So I've had a D5500 on my hit list for a while .. but a D500 could be a better long term prospect.
Anyhow, my thinking cap has definitely come out of retirement .. but as always with new Nikon gear .. waiting is certainly the best foot forward at this point.
Other people can be the Nikon crash test dummies!

I agree they were robust but the D300 never had weather sealing. I think they've moved it into the same realm as the D800 series ...

I remember that spec. it is weather resistant, but not weather sealed as MM says.

BUT! idiot me one day was out in the bush(past Clunes), and the weather looked almost ideal. Bit of intermittent rain here and there but not much and easy to predict.
Anyhow, I had the camera on the tripod, and I'm waiting for the right moment. half hour or so passes and I'm getting bored, so I walk back to the car to get a 'nail for the coffin'.
I'm sitting there with the door half open and got distracted whilst enjoying the nail .. and even tho I knew it was raining .. I never really bothered to notice it.
Then after a few mindless minutes I remembered the camera! .. it was drenched. Siggy 10-20 was fogged up a little inside camera dripping wet, lens soaked .. etc.
This was about 8 odd years ago now. Never been a problem. So I'd feel confident enough to shoot in rain with the D300 even tho it only has minimal weather resistance.
The only issue I have with the D300 is that the rear LCD screen is slightly fogged up, but in a weird way. It's been wiped from the inside. Camera is mine from new, never been touched mechanically, but there is this smeary wipe mark on the inside of the LCD. It looks to me that it's an issue directly from the production line somehow(maybe the line worker didn't clean the surface properly .. and it slowly surfaced after some time. I actually only noticed it a short time after it's first trip to the snow when it fogged up badly making the wipe mark very obvious. This was before the rain soaking in the bush too.

MissionMan
18-02-2016, 11:42am
OK, give them to me, I'll kill 'em in no time! :p

I'm sort of in the market(really really sort of!) as I kind'a killed the poor ol D70s.
Actually my son started the process, noticing a spec on the mirror which I know he tried to clean. Anyhow, when he got back from his trip, he told me about it and I went to investigate. Barely touched the mirror surface and it flaked off. Now it's pretty useless, so I 'experimented' a little with the mirror surface and it's even more useless now.

So 'fingers' gets the D300 as his main camera(as the D70s is uselessly useless!) and lil miss 13 also wants a better camera than the compact she's had for a while now(she's out grown it).
So I've had a D5500 on my hit list for a while .. but a D500 could be a better long term prospect.
Anyhow, my thinking cap has definitely come out of retirement .. but as always with new Nikon gear .. waiting is certainly the best foot forward at this point.
Other people can be the Nikon crash test dummies!

I remember that spec. it is weather resistant, but not weather sealed as MM says.

BUT! idiot me one day was out in the bush(past Clunes), and the weather looked almost ideal. Bit of intermittent rain here and there but not much and easy to predict.
Anyhow, I had the camera on the tripod, and I'm waiting for the right moment. half hour or so passes and I'm getting bored, so I walk back to the car to get a 'nail for the coffin'.
I'm sitting there with the door half open and got distracted whilst enjoying the nail .. and even tho I knew it was raining .. I never really bothered to notice it.
Then after a few mindless minutes I remembered the camera! .. it was drenched. Siggy 10-20 was fogged up a little inside camera dripping wet, lens soaked .. etc.
This was about 8 odd years ago now. Never been a problem. So I'd feel confident enough to shoot in rain with the D300 even tho it only has minimal weather resistance.
The only issue I have with the D300 is that the rear LCD screen is slightly fogged up, but in a weird way. It's been wiped from the inside. Camera is mine from new, never been touched mechanically, but there is this smeary wipe mark on the inside of the LCD. It looks to me that it's an issue directly from the production line somehow(maybe the line worker didn't clean the surface properly .. and it slowly surfaced after some time. I actually only noticed it a short time after it's first trip to the snow when it fogged up badly making the wipe mark very obvious. This was before the rain soaking in the bush too.

You may pick up that the wipe marks relate to the original cleaning in the factory and the water inside the camera now shows it up.

arthurking83
18-02-2016, 12:05pm
You may pick up that the wipe marks relate to the original cleaning in the factory and the water inside the camera now shows it up.

There's no water inside. There may be some condensation of some type .. it'd be very minimal and obviously after near on 8 years of it .. at least 7! .. it's not a problem.

Looking head on to the LCD you can't see it, but tilt it to shine in a specific angle to the available light and it's clearly visible.

Like I implied, the snow trip was prior to the drenching trip. Snow trip was circa 2008.
But water never got inside the LCD that is, no obvious water ingress like dripping streak along the surfaces of the LCD. Just the air based humidity of the atmosphere, where it fogged up.

So the D300 is (for me) a non issue.
The real problem child now is the D70s! they want about $100 for a mirror/shutter assembly, but the camera is barely worth all of about $50!
I can't bring myself to pension it off either, and I'd like to do a dedicated IR conversion for it(D70s sensor is great for IR).

Anyhow .. just some thoughts .. mmmmm D500 .. having just now seen the price of a K-1 .. D500 sounds like it's so wayyy over priced .. I may convert myself to Pentax! :p

cupic
18-02-2016, 5:23pm
Well it would be unlawful for a wholesaler to dictate what a retailer can charge for a product wouldn't it? :rolleyes:
Therefore dealers will be able to sell them for whatever they feel like, I already see it available as a preorder for $5.00 cheaper than your price cupic. :lol2:

But hey, in the world of cameras you just think like cars, you are buying a Porsche ( Nikon ) and not a Proton ( Canon ) :p

I know I had it for 2360 but then came the call thats its 2770
Lowest now is 2639
See my meaning

- - - Updated - - -

They will drop eventually. I tend to wait for the specials to start before I buy. I bought my D750 for about $300-400 below retail and it wasn't long after it was released.

That said, I think people who complain about the price need to be aware that's its not in line with something like the D300. It's a pro quality DX body which may appeal to a lot of sports photographers who don't need the wider side. It's bigger than the full frame D750, has weather proofing and runs at the same speed as the D4 with a D5 focus engine. I'm pretty impressed overall with what it is.

Same here D750 was low 1900 when bought

- - - Updated - - -

You were in Tokyo on the 26th January? What a coincidence, so was I! My wife and I were in Kyoto from the 19th to the 22nd, and then in Tokyo from the 22nd to the 27th. It's a shame I didn't know you were there, we could have met up and had dinner.

ROFL that was your post Lance I just paste it to my response
If I was in Japan I would look you up :)

Lance B
18-02-2016, 7:56pm
ROFL that was your post Lance I just paste it to my response
If I was in Japan I would look you up :)

:lol: Whoops. Your post didn't have "Lance B quote" on it and I thought you must have been there as well. I do vaguely remember posting that, but I had sent so many texts to people and posts regarding the D500 price in Japam that I couldn't remember that actual post on Ausphotography. :o

arthurking83
02-03-2016, 3:47pm
Here's an interesting reason why you'd want to upgrade from the old slow CF format to the newer XQD format! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEUeRqA41E8

Text is all in Japanese, but it's not hard to decipher the results.
The really annoying section of the video is towards the very end when they do the card to PC transfer tests.
No need to wait for the full minute and half for the old slow card! :p

NRandall
04-03-2016, 9:16pm
I have been looking at these with interest, looking longer term for a replacement for my D7000. I have recently bought some new lenses, so this will need to wait until 2017. Some may have noticed I have been a bit quiet lately. I have been on medical leave since last August, and while image making has been good for me I am a little less talkative than usual, especially if I have to think of something meaningful to say :) :)

I'll try to keep it clean!

Warren Ackary
08-03-2016, 11:14am
I would personally like see Nikon illuminate the back buttons on this and the D750 like they have on the D4

zollo
05-06-2016, 9:21pm
I would personally like see Nikon illuminate the back buttons on this and the D750 like they have on the D4

such a simple, but great idea. woulkd prefer that to half of the other upgrades incorporated