PDA

View Full Version : Buying first DSLR

EmzDad
28-12-2015, 1:42pm
Hello everyone,

First post, I have been reading through the threads here and the learning center.

I have a 12 year old daughter who is quite art orientated, shows an interest in photography as an extension to what she likes doing now.

I also have an interest in photography but I am time poor.

Myself and my daughter have been practicing with our point and shoot Canon Ixus 105 (have achieved what we think are nice photos :confused013), it has a basic manual function that allows some learning for us. But it has internal dirty patches on the lenses and the zoom is starting to play up.

So I have spent some time over the last couple of weeks researching DSLR camera's mirror and mirrorless. Have been looking hard at Canon 5d / Nikon d750 and Sony A7 second hand, but as usual I start to wonder are these over kill for what we are doing.. and how do I really know if they are in good condition. And do I really need a FF camera?

So I went down to ***revoved per site rules*** this morning with my daughter first to see what cameras fits in her hand comfortably, second to have a look through the menu system and see how easy it was to understand.

After playing with the Sony A7, then onto the Nkon D750 and the canon 700d, we had a play with the cheaper Nikons, D3300, D5500 and the D7100...

Em settled on the Nikon D5500 as being most comfortable and being used to Ipads etc the touch screen set-up she really liked, (I am old school, i still have buttons on my mobile phone).

***removed per site rules*** I am happy to go down the body only path and buy a better quality lenses then the kit only, as reading on here I have found you can have great camera but poor lenses = dud picture. But average camera with great lenses = good picture.

So what I am after is what lenses should I get. We are right at the beginning... In my head with what I have read there seems to be a like for a 18-200mm set up, allowing diversity in what we do. But what is good quality for $1000 to $1500 in a Full Frame lens that I can use on the D5500 body?

I am happy to buy a cheaper body as per above, but the accessories I am happy to put some better money into allowing for upgraded body later... better lens better tri-pod etc...

Any guidance on a FF lens would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

(See Site Rule 3 in partucular here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/misc.php?do=vsarules)
Thread moved to General Help forum.

ameerat42
28-12-2015, 2:10pm
Hi Shane.
Yes, buying a camera can be fraught especially for beginners (but not only).

If you think you've identified a likely candidate, do as much research on it as you can.
I checked out that model on the DP Review site here (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5500/2), and after looking through the details, I went
to the Conclusion section. There they list Pros and Cons. There are other review sites, and
you could just search on "Nikon D5500 reviews" for a list.

Things can look enticing in stores, and they are not usually worried on how you spend your money.

Get a few replies from other members here and do some more research.

My 2c: I don't think a DSLR is a bad choice. You have covered a lot of factors in your description,
but I'd say do a bit more after this.

Am.

ricktas
28-12-2015, 2:45pm
Any of the entry level models from the major camera brands will serve you both well. I agree that going for a D750 or equivalent is probably overkill.

The D5500 that your daughter chose is going to offer the technical of capturing a photo. And yes, as you improve your photography a good quality lens is going to afford you better results, but to begin with, any of the entry level lenses is also going to give you good results. 80% or more of a good photo, is in the photographers skill. Frankly you will probably not even notice the differences between an entry level lens and a pro level lens at this point. Put an entry level camera and kit lens in a Pro photographers hands and I could guarantee the photos that were taken would be top notch.

You are probably over-thinking the technical aspects of the camera at this point. Get the D5500 with an 18-200 lens and LEARN.

Lance B
28-12-2015, 3:24pm
The Nikon D5500 has received some excellent comments and reviews, one review by a wall known reviewer, Ming Thein:
http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/12/21/review-the-nikon-d5500/

Cage
28-12-2015, 3:49pm
Hi Shane,

I'm a Nikon user but I will try to be unbiased in my remarks.

You have made a very good start in the selection process by physically inspecting and holding the various cameras that you felt may suit your requirements. How it 'feels in the hand' is a very important consideration.

Technically and result wise there are not huge differences between the various manufacturers entry level cameras so selecting one that you are comfortable with is a big plus and the Nikon D5500 will definitely provide you with all the bells and whistles you need to get started.

I believe the smart move when building up your kit is to start with lens that will stay with you when you upgrade your camera, as camera improvements are happening at a much faster rate than with lens. To that end I'd suggest that if your budget allows it you start with a full frame compatible lens that you can use if and when you move to a FF camera.

The 18-200mm lens you mentioned is probably a good bit of gear but bear in mind that with such a large zoom range it is not going to do as well as a prime lens or one with a smaller range.

Unless you see yourselves starting out with long range photography such a sports or wildlife, I'd suggest something like the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 which will give you a range of 36-105mm with the D5500's 1.5 crop factor, which will most likely cover most of your requirements in the learning phase. I use one on my D800 and can highly recommend it. It's VR is an excellent aid in getting sharp shots.

I guess now is the time to have a serious think about what sort of photography you are interested in before you make a lens decision.

Good luck with you pondering.

EmzDad
28-12-2015, 4:15pm
I guess now is the time to have a serious think about what sort of photography you are interested in before you make a lens decision.

Good luck with you pondering.

This is the part we are yet really to discover... Will we/ my daughter take on a set area, or will we enjoy a lot of different types of photography.

Shav Bird Photography
28-12-2015, 4:34pm
I concur with everyones comments here. I have the D5300 and there is little differences between the 2 models other than a few extra features. I learned a lot using the kit lenses for a year as I was getting used to the settings. It wasn't until I was noticing smaller nuances the kits lenses lacked over a better quality lens (which I borrowed off a friend) that I decided to make the jump in lens upgrades. It was then that my skill using the kit lenses really started to pay off with a quality lens. I still have my kits lenses and will occasionally use them for various reasons but find they wane in comparison for quality over my Sigma lenses.

EmzDad
28-12-2015, 7:58pm
Thanks for the replies so far, I guess I am some what on the right track then... with basically needing a camera to teach us the basics and beyond, also technically advanced enough to keep the young one interested in the gear side of things and the old one confused...:th3:.

I am fairly committed though to what we buy in accessories has to be able to be used beyond this body where possible.

Thanks
Shane

- - - Updated - - -

The Nikon D5500 has received some excellent comments and reviews, one review by a wall known reviewer, Ming Thein:
http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/12/21/review-the-nikon-d5500/

Hi Lance, that is a very interesting review... thank you for the link.. :nod:

swifty
28-12-2015, 9:26pm
Hi Shane, I was going to point you to the same Ming Thein review but Lance beat me to it.
The great thing about the state of photography today is that virtually every camera out there is very good. I honestly feel it is pretty difficult to find a really poor new camera in today's market.

I'll paraphrase a well known photography guru Thom Hogan:
1. improve the photographer
2. improve the support
3. improve the lens
Improve the camera.

So the camera is well down the list but he was talking in the context of upgraders. So you still need a camera to begin with and I think a D5500 is a good choice amongst many good choices out there. Now find a deal. Not too long ago a largish Aus dealer had 15% off Nikon products across the board.

So you also need a lens. I'm a big believer in buying the best you can comfortably afford as I feel this ends up saving you money in the long term. But if you're dabbling and need a convenient lens to get comfortable with, then I'd suggest you try second hand. In that the losses are minimal when it comes to on-selling and purchasing the keeper.

I understand your rationale for looking at FF lenses but I believe that for the shorter end of the focal length it is better to buy the corresponding lens for the sensor format.
But if you're determined on FF lenses, maybe take a look at the 24-120 f4 VR.
Reasonably fast aperture, VR and a 36-180mm equiv FOV. Not terribly wide on the wide end though.
It is also a kit lens on some FX Nikons such as the D750 and kit prices are better than standalone prices which should be reflected in the used market too.

Consider budgeting for a tripod. You may need a separate thread on this alone. Just warning you haha.

EmzDad
28-12-2015, 9:42pm
Thanks swifty, have been reading some info on tri pods... there is a bit of passion there I must say...

I can see a budget of around $700 will get me an okay tri.... do $1000 to $1500 on lens plus tri pod Up to $1000 and a good flash $400 ish, then I suppose better not skimp on the SD card... so a D5500 for $750 (Aust purchase) is cheap compared to the rest...

Mark L
28-12-2015, 10:08pm
Since you are on the start of the journey you can get a good flash cheaper than $400 ish.
I've found the Yongnuo 568EX-II is built well and does what I want.

swifty
28-12-2015, 10:35pm
I'm not familiar with the current tripod pricing so I'll let another forum member brief you. Whilst I subscribe to the practice of buying the best I can comfortably afford, and I do think tripod is a tool almost all photographers will eventually get, depending on the genre you end up liking you may not use tripods as often. So the budget should also be tailored to your use and right now you don't know exactly what that will be yet. So perhaps budget for it but hold off buying for the time being until you're more comfortable knowing your needs.
I spent around $500 for my tripod and head many years ago and haven't needed to upgrade at all. But I also don't use it often although when I do, I'm glad I didn't cheap out those many years ago. But I suspect $700 is more than enough given it is more competitive these days than when I was shopping for mine.
I feel the same goes for the flash. Something that most of us will have in our bags eventually but not everyone is into flash photography and will use it often.

I think start with the camera and lens first. Then add as required. But improving the photographer/s all the time as you go.
Improving support doesn't necessary mean buy a tripod. Your technique contributes a lot to how steady you support that camera or how smooth you can pan etc.
Consider adding a fast (aperture wise) prime lens as part of the purchase in addition to the convenient zoom. It is easier to learn and see the effects of changing DOF with faster lens.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh btw, if you do end up going with Nikon, there's a $100 cashback on the D5500 currently until the 31st. So I'm not sure if your $750 is before or after cashback. If its after, I think you can get a better deal atm. Plus buying from Authorised reseller means 2 years warranty too.

Cage
28-12-2015, 11:04pm
Try http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Nikon+D5500&spos=3 as a starting point for prices.

They currently show Georges Cameras as having the D5500 for $618.00 after the $100.00 cashback. Make sure you buy from an authorised Aussie dealer for the local warranty.

EmzDad
28-12-2015, 11:18pm
Hi Cage, there is a certain deception there.. just went and looked that is then plus gst plus freight... Thanks for the link though... I can walk down to the Logan Hyper dome area and get it for $750 after cash back... I am looking around for places to buy though.

Cage
28-12-2015, 11:38pm
Hi Cage, there is a certain deception there.. just went and looked that is then plus gst plus freight... Thanks for the link though... I can walk down to the Logan Hyper dome area and get it for $750 after cash back... I am looking around for places to buy though.

Actually on the Georges site it comes up as $718.00, less the $100.00 cash back from Nikon, making it a net $618.00, plus freight.

EmzDad
29-12-2015, 12:07am
I apologize Cage, yes that is correct. $20.00 freight.

So $640.00 delivered after cash back.

Cage
29-12-2015, 12:27am
You pay $738.00 up front including freight, and Nikon give you $100.00 cash back making it a net $638.00. It's the cheapest price from an authorised Nikon dealer I've seen.

And you then join My Nikon Life and the warranty is extended to two years.

EmzDad
29-12-2015, 8:56am
Thanks Cage,

Looking through the local store's web site this morning I see they are giving $150 gift voucher as well... So $850 - $100 nikon ($750)+ $150 gift voucher, I didn't notice the gift voucher yesterday... So the $150 gift voucher should help me cover SD card (next thing to research) and a carry bag...

I can get the Tamron lens I think I want (28/300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD) from one of our site sponsor for a very good price....

ameerat42
29-12-2015, 9:29am
That Tamron lens rings a bell:eek:. I think that somewhere recently I read a bad review about it.
Do your homework on it. -- And, it's only that lens from Tamron. (--And who knows, I cold be wrong.)

MissionMan
29-12-2015, 9:56am
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here and ask why you wouldn't start her on mirrorless with something like an OM-D, particularly given the smaller body size (she is 12 after all), smaller lenses and the fact that mirrorless is actually very good and probably won't limit her ability in any way or form in the short term.

I know DSLR would seem the natural way to go, but I think if my daughter had to get into it now, I'd be consider mirrorless as the preferred option at this point in time, and I use DSLR's at the moment so there is no element of bias in this.

EmzDad
29-12-2015, 10:49am
Hi MM,
I have looked into Mirrorless, and if it was me alone I would be buying a Sony A7II full frame, simple... but it is not about me. As per my original post we spent some time yesterday handling cameras, Mirrorless ILC's and DSLR. At the end of the day the D5500 fitted and felt most comfortable in the persons hands that has to use it the most. I made sure we tried different length /weight lenses to see how it felt weight wise etc...

The ultimate goal here is to make sure my daughter holds and grows her interest in photography, so I have to give her some freedom to choose.

Hence also the add-ons as such must be able to be taken to the next body we purchase.

She is only 12 now but hand size is not to much of a issue, I am 6'6 and her mum not much shorter... Poor kid has big feet and hands like her dad... :nod:. She could hold the Canon 5D and Nikon D750 quiet well, the Sony/ Olympus/ Pentax same same... It really come down to overall comfort and ability to accesses the controls, the D5500 won in that area.

I had not really looked at the D5500 seriously, had read a few reviews and looked at the specs, as I was biased towards a Full Frame camera. So I had a spent most of my time researching Canon/ Sony/ Nikon Full Frame cameras.

Thanks
Shane

MissionMan
29-12-2015, 11:01am
No problem. I guess I just made the assumption she would have small hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cage
29-12-2015, 11:22am
As Am suggested I'd do lots of googling on the Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD. It's probably a good lens for happy snaps but as I said above when a lens tries to be all things for all people it does things reasonably well throughout it's range, but doesn't do anything particularly well.

The best lens in any given situation is a prime lens, ie one the has a fixed focal length. With zoom lens the more you stretch the zoom range, the less efficient it becomes at all distances.

As you seem to be leaning toward some length I'll throw up another scenario for your consideration, budget allowing. A Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (I also have one and give it :th3::th3::th3: , and I'm a hard marker) and pair it with the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G, a lens dedicated to the APS-C format of the D5500 which means it will give you an actual 35mm lens, not super wide, but a good starter for your closer shots. You will have no trouble on-selling it when you work out what you really need regards focal length.

You will then have a 35mm prime and a very good zoom covering the 105-300mm zoom range.

I make this suggestion because I believe, from your comments above, that you wish to buy equipment to grow into and not quickly grow out of.

A well regarded photography commentator, ByThom (Google him) commented that camera bodies come and go, but good lens and a good tripod/head combo should be with you for a very long time.

Oh, and I did a lot of research on carry bags and eventually bought a Lowepro. Guess how many times I've used it in four years.
Nil, nada, zip. Unless you are going trekking it is something I wouldn't have near the top of my 'to get list'.

Shane, I was in your situation about five years back and remember how confusing it all was, struggling with a new terminology, trying to get the most appropriate gear for my still unsure of uses, and wanting to get the most bang for my buck.

Keep asking questions on the forum. There are plenty of helpful people here and although we don't always agree you will eventually get a consensus of what may be the best kit for your needs and budget.

EmzDad
29-12-2015, 11:49am
Thanks Cage,

Plan of purchase I think will be D5500 body, not quiet sure about what to use the gift card $150 for from the store... guess I do need a Memory card to use the camera... so that may be the first thing to use the gift card on... was looking at the Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D ($120) seems that this is a very good lens for the price... and after a lot of reading seems most recommend this as a awesome little lens to have.

Will research the 35mm one though first before purchasing.

Cage, just did a quick look through the manufactures site for the 35mm lens, there is a video about it, guess what it was mounted to, D5500 :D

Cage
29-12-2015, 12:43pm
Shane, I'm reasonably sure the Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D won't auto focus on the D5500 as it doesn't have a built in focus motor. You need the AF-S line of lens to auto-focus on that camera.

Why I suggested the 35mm was to give you some width if you go the 70-200mm route.

And yes, you will need a memory card. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s and I'd suggest a 16GB which will give you about 640 shots before you will need to re-format it.

Shav Bird Photography
29-12-2015, 2:24pm
Keep an eye out for some second hand decent specials for landscape shots. I recently bought the Sigma ART 18-35mm F1.8 second hand for $300 cheaper than retail. In almost new condition. Nothing wrong with it and it is a dream for landscapes and some macro/portraits. I also bought a Sigma DG HSM 50mm prime lens for portraits and macro and it works brilliantly compared to my old 18-55mm Nikkor lens. It comes down to looking for a deal. Certain places have deals all the time to trade in their lenses for an upgrade. Definitely check it out.

ameerat42
29-12-2015, 2:49pm
Shane, I'm reasonably sure the Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D won't auto focus on the D5500 as it doesn't have a built in focus motor. You need the AF-S line of lens to auto-focus on that camera.

Why I suggested the 35mm was to give you some width if you go the 70-200mm route.

And yes, you will need a memory card. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s and I'd suggest a 16GB which will give you about 640 shots before you will need to re-format it.

Agreed. That's a pretty good speed. Any faster probably would not be any use to the camera. And it is GOOD for hi-speed transfer via USB 3.
I get quite by with 2 Sandisk cards of 60MB/sec. In addition, I AGREE with getting a few cards of lesser storage capacity - such as 16GB - rather than
one of say 32GB or 64GB. (Something to do with smashing eggs in one basket if it carks it:rolleyes:)

EmzDad
29-12-2015, 2:54pm
Okay body purchased, then used the gift card to help by a Scandisk Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-1 in 32gb and the Nikon AF-S DX 35mm F/1.8G as a starter. So at least Em can start using it and get into some of the learning library more.

Cage what you said made sense about being able to sell the 35mm at some time if I want to.

Shav, have started the look for a second hand lens, will take my time with this part. Was pushed a little with purchase of body as deal finishes at end of December at local store here and we head back out of Brisbane towards home tomorrow.
Happy to buy new if can't find good second hand lenses.

Thanks
Shane

Cage
29-12-2015, 3:06pm
Congratulations, and glad you didn't grab the AF 50mm F1.8D. :eek:

Now comes the fun part, finding out what all those buttons and menu items are for.

Enjoy the journey. :)

For some shots with your new kit, have a look here. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

Mary Anne
29-12-2015, 3:29pm
Thats great I am sure you and your Daughter will have lots of fun learning how to use it :D

EmzDad
29-12-2015, 3:37pm
Congratulations, and glad you didn't grab the AF 50mm F1.8D. :eek:

ummmmmm..... wellll it is like this you see I had to do a second trip down to the store to return a lens and buy another....:rolleyes:

ameerat42
29-12-2015, 3:39pm
Anyway, congs on the acquisitions.:th3:

MissionMan
29-12-2015, 3:41pm
Congrats, it will be good to see her on here posting once she gets to grips with it.

I intend introducing photography to my two daughters at a very young age (other than being the subjects)

Cage
29-12-2015, 3:52pm
ummmmmm..... wellll it is like this you see I had to do a second trip down to the store to return a lens and buy another....:rolleyes:

That is likely to happen when you get into new pursuits you're not 100% familiar with. :lol::lol::lol:

Dug
29-12-2015, 4:39pm
First lens/lenses are always hard when you are starting out.
It would be nice to plan out a kit of lenses to begin with that are a one off purchase, but that needs a crystal ball to know what you both will find are your main subjects.
Kit lenses take a very nice picture, they just don't excel in areas outside of general useage.

The term quality lens is a bit of a misnomer, it suggests that kit lenses by contrast are not quality lenses.
To me quality lens is relating to a lens best designed for an area of photography.

To use a car analogy - you are learning to drive, do you get a Toyota Corolla to learn driving skills or do you get a 4x4 because you might get into off road, or something sporty because you might get into track days.
I'll go the Corolla way, or something general purpose and second hand with the intent to sell later.

Starter lenses that will live on in usefulness are your "walk around " variety. These go from wide to medium telephoto.
Ones that go from wide to telephoto 200 or 300mm are too extreme in my book to be considered keepers down the track as there are just too many compromises in their design.

The walk around lens as the name suggests is the one you fit for general use that you build a more specialized set of lenses around.
It's also the one you take on its own if you want to travel light
I don't know Nikon lenses, but Canon for example do a lens for crop frames that is 15-85mm, its similar in f stop range to the kit lenses but a step up in optical quality.

Nikon, Sigma and Tamron will have equivalents.

Lenses that are 24-70 or 24-100ish are walk around lenses for a full frame camera. 24mm is not wide enough on a crop frame camera like the D5500 to make it a true walk around lens, they can be worked in with a 10-20mm range lens for example if you like not just wide but extra wide shots.
It just comes with an inconvenience of not being able to do that wide angle shot without a lens change.

I did not regret getting a year out of my kit lenses then shelving them, but I would have got a good walk around lens instead in hide sight.
7yrs on and the whole first camera and kit lenses setup is now my partners "for better than a phone" usage camera and I have a whole new kit, so there is no telling really.

As long as you stay with crop frame then a crop frame walk around lens will serve you for a long time.

PS Good choice with the 35mm f1.8, a fast lens will always have its uses and a prime is a good way to learn all that given focal length has to offer.

Cage
29-12-2015, 8:39pm
Shane, if you decide to go with the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD be aware that there are two models of this lens, the other without VC and sold as a Macro lens.

Shav Bird Photography
30-12-2015, 7:11pm
Okay body purchased, then used the gift card to help by a Scandisk Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-1 in 32gb and the Nikon AF-S DX 35mm F/1.8G as a starter. So at least Em can start using it and get into some of the learning library more.

Cage what you said made sense about being able to sell the 35mm at some time if I want to.

Shav, have started the look for a second hand lens, will take my time with this part. Was pushed a little with purchase of body as deal finishes at end of December at local store here and we head back out of Brisbane towards home tomorrow.
Happy to buy new if can't find good second hand lenses.

Thanks
Shane

Great work Shane. That Macro lens I have also and is a great way to introduce your daughter to the world of macro as well as portrait shots. That lens does take a nice wide landscape shot too. The wider F stop will come in handy for those dusk conditions.

As for the second hand lens, if you know what you want, let the manager or sales guy know so they can call you directly should something of reasonable order come in.

EmzDad
30-12-2015, 11:28pm
Well got through 100 or so pages of the manual today... Nikon does a great app for manuals on tablets. Only 250 odd pages to go.

Got a nice shot of a spider this arvo, playing around with it...

I have been mulling over ricktas advice on a 18-200 as a good learning lens.... Can get a second hand ser II Nikon AF-s off second hand net store for resonable $. Might be a smart move towards learning what we really need further down the track. Can always re sell if wanting to change in the future.

Cage
30-12-2015, 11:59pm
You will learn a whole heap with the lens you have.

I wouldn't be worrying about another lens at this stage. Did you have a look at the link that I posted above?

Glenda
31-12-2015, 8:06am
Congrats on the new camera. I have the Nikon 18-200 and find it excellent. It's a great walk around lens and I use it a lot when travelling.

EmzDad
31-12-2015, 9:54pm
You will learn a whole heap with the lens you have.

I wouldn't be worrying about another lens at this stage. Did you have a look at the link that I posted above?

Cage won't be getting to excited about another lens, but will keep an eye out for a good deal if it comes up... Have spent this evening playing in very low light just on dark. Very interesting how it can deal with the low light, with out a flash.

Thanks
Shane

arthurking83
04-01-2016, 4:11pm
I'm assuming that when you say you got the D5500, you got it with just the one kit lens(kit lens was mentioned in your OP).

Or did you get a twin kit lens kit .. ie. 18-55 + 55-200 lenses ?

One other relatively cheap lens you could look into getting sooner rather than later is something like the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro lens, or the Sigma 105/2.8OS

Obviously I have no idea what kinds of captures she concentrates on, but my experience with my daughter(similar age), plus my son! ... is that they love to get up close and personal with various subjects.
I just assume that kids in this age bracket are simply curious about what makes stuff :confused013

Anyhow, I gave my old D70s to my son, and he's got use of any of my lenses as he feels the need, but I also got him a general purpose 18-105VR lens, which he predominantly uses.
He's not very artistically inclined, but does the odd anime drawing every now and then.
He's shown the odd flash of artist coming out, but in the end his only interest involve computer games of some form! :rolleyes:

My daughter(now 13) is very into art. She love to paint, draw, etc .. and recently gotten into music too.
A few years ago I purchased her own dedicated camera and I wanted it to be all encompassing for her with many user enhancements for her to play with.
While it's not a serious tool, the Android based system of the Galaxy Camera gave her more inspiration and motivation to delve deeper into photography, and or video .. as she wanted.
So for about 2 years or so, she loved that camera, but last spring we were camping and it drove her mad. She wanted to concentrate on macro stuff. While the Galaxy Camera has a macro mode, it's far too unresponsive for dynamic macro scenes(eg. chasing insects or flowers blowing in the wind .. etc).

I'm contemplating getting her a D5500(or maybe a D5300) just for this purpose, and she can start off using my 105VR for macro.

D5500 is a very small and lightweight camera, basically as small as an EM5 anyhow .. so why buy an EM5? :p

My observations re using other lenses:(from both my son and daughter)

a 70-200/2.8 is way too big for them! Son loved it for a few moments tried to get some shots of a rainbow lori, and gave up just as quickly when he complained of the weight. Wanted his 18-105VR back immediately.
Problem with the likes of the ultra zoom type 18-250/270/300 type lenses .. they focus too slowly for impatient kids.
The likes of a nice fast 24-70/2.8 seems enticing at first, but then the limited zoom range and large size of those lenses becomes an annoyance for them(and hence yourself).

Because you got yourself into a Nikon system, I'd highly recommend the 18-140VR as a general purpose lens for her(unless you did end up with the twin lens kit!), and a nice macro lens if she's into closeups too.

You'll get many recommendations of the 50/1.8 AF-S as well ... and for all intents and purposes seems like a nice cheap lens, but in that instance I reckon the Tammy 60/2 Macro would prove more versatile.

35/1.8 AF-S was a great choice too btw! :th3:

EmzDad
04-01-2016, 10:51pm
Hi arthurking,

Bought the D5500 Body only. The one 35mm lens to start with.

arthurking83
05-01-2016, 3:45am
Hi arthurking,

Bought the D5500 Body only. The one 35mm lens to start with.

:th3:

then I highly recommend that 18-140VR lens to help her along too.

While it's no uber lens, in the same vein as a 58 noct, or 85/1.4 ... it's image quality is nice.

The main point is that it's cheap enough(~$400) to not worry too much about her damaging it over time, and it's got enough flexibility she may be looking for .... for now.