PDA

View Full Version : Filter stuck on lens

Filter
28-12-2015, 12:14pm
I put the Kenko PRO1d polarised filter on my canon 55/250 lens and now can't get it off. I know I didn't put it on tight just firm. Any suggestions?

ameerat42
28-12-2015, 12:23pm
Got another camera to take a pic of it?

- - - Updated - - -

And also, did it screw on easily enough? I'm wondering whether it may have cross-threaded(???).
Does it look even on the lens?

thegrump
28-12-2015, 12:27pm
Has It got a locking ring on it. Is the filter turning, just not coming off. If it has a locking ring you may need to loosen the ring first.

ricktas
28-12-2015, 1:48pm
If you really need it off and it wont come off, get a pair of pointy nose pliers, grasp the edge and twist. Doing so may ruin the filter if it buckles, but it will come off.

Lance B
28-12-2015, 2:11pm
Put an elastic band around the filter and use your hands. That usually works.

Gazza
28-12-2015, 6:18pm
Some great advice and questions above ↑↑
I had a similar thing happen to me once, and in the end I resort to the trusty 'Lid Opener' (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-Purpose-Jar-Opener-Lids-Bottle-Cap-Grip-Twister-Rubber-Opener-New-GH-/351574221296?var=&hash=item51db74e1f0:m:mVGXUbpmtfrHBFv14qVW62w)

Cheers ... :beer_mug:

- - - Updated - - -

PS, I put it down to the fact that I'd screwed it on in summer and tried to take it off in winter...that whole expansion and contraction stuff (Tech terms) :D

Filter
28-12-2015, 8:37pm
Thanks all, I am now on the lookout for a thick rubber band...lol

macmich
28-12-2015, 8:39pm
get one of those non slip bench mats from two dollar shop and it will give you great grip and have it for next time

- - - Updated - - -

i havnt done any powder monkey jobs for a few years but if you cannot get it of , i could use a small charge

Filter
28-12-2015, 10:39pm
Yea, after 6 hours & very sore fingers the rubber band solution worked. Thanks again all.

acko
30-12-2015, 11:00am
Perhaps a tiny bit of graphite on the threads before you put it back on.

ameerat42
30-12-2015, 11:06am
Well before I read Filter's first message I thought the title meant he rather liked a particular lens:D

Tannin
31-12-2015, 8:40pm
(Wise comment after the event warning.)

Always buy filters with brass threads. Brass is effectively self-lubricating, and brass-threaded filters pretty much never give trouble. You'll probably pay top dollar (I'm not aware of any cheap filters with brass threads) but with filters you should do that anyway - there is nothing worse than a cheap filter on a good lens. B+W filters are superb - and have brass threads of course - but there are doubtless some other good ones too.

When a filter gets stuck, you should always be able to get it off (with care!) using a large pair of multi-grips. I've had to do that once or twice and it was fine. (Never with a B+W brass filter, of course, I also have some older non-brass ones which I'll replace one day.) On the whole, I'd rather use multi-grips (not ordinary small ones, you need a good big jaw to match the filter size - cost you maybe $15 at any good hardware shop, and useful for all sorts of other jobs too) than one of those rubber-band tools. Yes, you have to be careful not to scratch anything important (scratches on the filter ring don't matter, only the lens) but you have much better control over how much force you are using. That makes me feel safer.

ameerat42
01-01-2016, 8:29am
..Always buy filters with brass threads... You'll probably pay top dollar (I'm not aware of any cheap filters with brass threads)...

So, spend the brass to buy the brass!:D

Tricky
15-01-2016, 9:51am
Always wondered why quality filters seemed to have brass threads - you learn something every day!