PDA

View Full Version : Man Caves

pgbphotographytas
03-12-2015, 4:59pm
Anybody on here designed and built a man cave? Any advice for somebody still at the design stage?

Hamster
03-12-2015, 10:07pm
One tip would be use strips of LED lights for lighting. I ran a strip down either side of the central beam and because of this arrangement, when you're ferreting around on a shelf you don't create a shadow that makes it difficult to see what you're doing. Hope that makes sense.

pgbphotographytas
07-12-2015, 4:18pm
Thanks for the suggestion, lighting is still to be decided on.

- - - Updated - - -

Plans are here: http://goo.gl/f1fCFL

Morgo
07-12-2015, 4:41pm
My Man Cave was destroyed during a storm this year when a tree decided to ventilate the place.

Currently about to start the new one.

I"ll likely go similar to what I had so;
Extra lights, switched independently. Really handy to have those extra lights, even if you only use the extra 1 or 2 10% of the time its great having them when you need it.

Lots of GPO's. Again very useful if you change the inside or mix things up, want to run a heap of chargers, an additional PC, or an extension lead out the door etc no worries.

Access control on the door. Great for security, can always be locked and no need to carry keys. I use an electric door strike and keypad with a swipe sensor on the inside for hands free unlocking of the door if I'm carrying stuff out.

Security system, obvious reasons.

Back up power to run security system, door access control and some 12V LED lighting for during any power outages etc. I used a solar panel, regulator/charger, 100AH batt and an inverter which is pretty basic you can buy these sorts of kits from camping shops these days.

TAG
21-01-2016, 6:09pm
A gender scanner :D
to keep unwanted visitors out as they have a tendency of coming up with unnecessary suggestions,:eek:
like, you haven't used that in ages you should sell it to make room for my scrap booking table ect ect :confused013

On a more helpful note
Measure what you will be storing in there ,tools ,toys ,whatever and look at storage racks ,bins ,cupboards or a mezzanine floor if you can
afford it.:cool:
And do make a spot for the other gender,it takes a small crane and a dogman to erect and disassemble the Christmas tree & paraphenalia
that takes up a whole shelf on MY racking. :Doh:

Cage
21-01-2016, 6:56pm
Other than the obvious stuff like enough power, a good sized workbench, plenty of storage etc .....

A Good drink fridge .....
A full HD Widescreen TV with good reception, and some surround sound.
At least one very, very comfortable recliner

Well, if you're gunna watch Cricket/Football/Golf or whatever (isn't that the main reason for a 'Man Cave'), DO IT RIGHT. :lol2:

phild
29-01-2016, 9:34pm
Aside from the afformentioned items a billiard table won't go astray.