View Full Version : Elinchrom D-lite vs BRX and with Skyport plus HS any experience?

Spearo
23-11-2015, 8:52pm
Hi All,
I'm going to upgrade my current studio lighting system from speedlights to Elinchrom.

I was thinking of getting Some BRX kits, on ecombo of 500/500 and another of 250/250. My reasoning was that i can use in studio or out on location and yet still have enough heads to manage any setup required in studio

Then i discovered the Skyport plus HS. While it can hi synch to 1/8000 on high end heads (out of my price league...) it is compatible with the BRX and d-lite which can also gain me some sutter speed.

So far so good. But then i realised that the d-lite has a "S" head which could potentially synch faster than the BRX' "A" heads.

I'm half thinking of getting two d-lite rx4s and two BRX 500 to use with the skyport plus, alternating the main heads depending on whether its a simple portrait job or if i want to rfeeze some action.

my questions are: 1) am i nuts (never mind that one i suspect i know the answer already)
2) would there be a significant conflict in color if i mixed d-lites with BRX

3) does anyone use any of these in any configuration with the new skyport plus HS with a Canon ( i use a 5d mk3 and a 7D)

thanks in advance

frank

I @ M
23-11-2015, 9:24pm
I'm going to upgrade my current studio lighting system from speedlights to Elinchrom.

Why do you call that an upgrade? I would term it as a sideways step ----

I was thinking of getting Some BRX kits, on ecombo of 500/500 and another of 250/250. My reasoning was that i can use in studio or out on location and yet still have enough heads to manage any setup required in studio

Then i discovered the Skyport plus HS. While it can hi synch to 1/8000 on high end heads (out of my price league...) it is compatible with the BRX and d-lite which can also gain me some sutter speed.

An inexpensive set of strobes combined with a ( multi manufacturer ) set of pocket wizard triggers will do the same job. Even cheaper if you go with the emerging good quality Chinese knock offs.

So far so good. But then i realised that the d-lite has a "S" head which could potentially synch faster than the BRX' "A" heads.

I'm half thinking of getting two d-lite rx4s and two BRX 500 to use with the skyport plus, alternating the main heads depending on whether its a simple portrait job or if i want to rfeeze some action.

Buy once, buy correctly, if you after top quality work from heads that freeze action, forget the cheapie Elinchrom / Bowens stuff and start looking at short duration flash units from the regarded makers.

my questions are: 1) am i nuts (never mind that one i suspect i know the answer already)

Totally rhetorical. :)