PDA

View Full Version : This is why I love my D750

MissionMan
10-10-2015, 1:25am
This is one of the reasons I love my D750. Shadow recovery is amazing. Out at the beach today, directly into the sun using highlight metering. Granted its not perfect, but for a 5 minute edit it's quite usable. 5 years ago, this level of shadow recovery would be unheard of, in 5 years time this level of shadow recovery is likely to be on entry level cameras.

https://atholhill.smugmug.com/Family/Beach-Port-Melbourne/i-z5CWqkj/0/XL/AJH_6321-Edit-XL.jpg

This was the original. Almost a complete silhouette.
https://atholhill.smugmug.com/Family/Beach-Port-Melbourne/i-XQqvLkG/0/XL/AJH_6321-XL.jpg

feathers
10-10-2015, 1:50am
Wow!.. that is amazing.

mongo
10-10-2015, 8:28am
more than impressive !

ameerat42
10-10-2015, 9:36am
-And why anybody could feel this way from time to time...:D:D

1. Recently

2. Some Years Before

bigshowoz
10-10-2015, 10:07am
when you refer to Shadow recovery is that done through photo editing software . cheers

MissionMan
10-10-2015, 10:10am
when you refer to Shadow recovery is that done through photo editing software . cheers

They have something called D-lighting in camera, but if you need to pull 2+ stops out, its generally either done in Lightroom or the native camera software.

ameerat42
10-10-2015, 10:11am
(Yes for me. Usually in the raw converter - like here - but sometimes a touch in Photoshop.)

NikonNellie
10-10-2015, 10:37am
Yes - its also why I love my D800.
I look back at some of my photos taken with the D80 and the difference in the noise level is unbelievable. Whilst I can recover the shadows reasonably well in LR , along with it comes bands of chromatic abberation and noise+++ which tend to make the images unusable. The D7000 was a lot better but it still has nothing on my D800.

Kym
10-10-2015, 3:26pm

Hmmm.. yes and no. The software does it, but from the raw file (usually 14 bit/chan) and the camera MUST have recorded the information.
When displayed at 8bits on the web we don't see the shadow data; but in the raw file it is there.

ricktas
10-10-2015, 6:54pm
5 years ago there was a thing called a D3, which with full frame sensor and 12 MP could recover shadow detail like this too.
Looking at her face etc, there is a lot more post processing going on in your photos that simple shadow recovery. Yes, it is great what tech advances there have been in recent years, but we need to be careful praising it, when there is obviously a lot more at work than simple shadow recovery in your examples.

Good post processing work MM. I am glad your are enjoying your D750. My point with this post is that we need to ensure that say a beginner reading this, does not think that simply moving the highlight/shadow control will result in what you have presented us.

ameerat42
10-10-2015, 8:14pm
...My point with this post is that we need to ensure that say a beginner reading this, does not think that simply moving the highlight/shadow control will result in what you have presented us...

Or that the capability is something exclusive to that camera.

MissionMan
10-10-2015, 9:34pm
Or that the capability is something exclusive to that camera.

+1. I did a little work, but as mentioned, it was a 5 minute job.

Here is 5 stops of shadow recovery with just the exposure slider, no noise reduction, nothing else added etc. Thats how easy it is to recover. It's simply balancing the recovery that is the challenge and ultimately, you can still just move the exposure slider and have some versatility.

https://atholhill.smugmug.com/Family/Beach-Port-Melbourne/i-G2wMWr5/0/XL/Screen%20Shot%202015-10-10%20at%208.15.53%20PM-XL.png

ricktas
10-10-2015, 10:25pm
^ see that is better, it simply shows that shadow detail can be recovered. Incidentally shadow detail has always been more readily recovered, than is highlight detail. Once highlights are blown, there is generally no going back. This new post is much more accurate as to what happens when someone plays with the shadow slider, and gives beginners etc a more realistic view of what shadow recovery does.

Your '5 minute edit' in the original post, shows more of your PP skills, and why you are an advanced member with great PP skill, than what your camera shadow detail really is. Thanks for posting a true version of shadow recovery as a comparison to your well edited image in your first post.

ROA44
10-10-2015, 10:48pm
Well I can honestly say that I have been extremely encourage with my purchase of the D750 and the results have encouraged me to take the next step and enroll for Cert. IV. starting Tuesday. I've just bought LR6 so will soon be posting again.
A friend has been very happy with some shot I have taken of him surfing with the "Sig 150-600mm S"

I'm liking this lens, but still want to try the 120 - 400 just to compare with shots taken with the D5000.

JasonR
07-11-2015, 5:01pm
certainly impressive. Nice PP skills too.

Hawthy
07-11-2015, 8:32pm
MM. Yes, that certainly is impressive. Is it just me...or is that horizon crooked? :D

MissionMan
07-11-2015, 9:10pm
MM. Yes, that certainly is impressive. Is it just me...or is that horizon crooked? :D

Looks straight to me. You must have started drinking early today ;)