PDA

View Full Version : Artistic or not .... you judge

bobt
02-10-2015, 7:19pm
Just found this discussion which seems to have got someone's knickers in a twist! Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/01/sydney-wedding-photograph

I @ M
02-10-2015, 7:33pm
Good find Bob. :th3:
I expect quite a bit of "robust debate" will ensue from that one.
Your comment about beauty being in the eye of the beholder is spot on to me.
There are some valid points written by the alleged "journalist" from the guardian but when I read his one line stating that "this photograph is silly, not beautiful" I pretty quickly started viewing him as someone presenting a knee jerk ( emphasis on jerk ) reaction in order to get his name seen more.

Cage
02-10-2015, 8:41pm
Artistic ? Don't think that was ever the photographers intention.

Opportunistic ? Maybe, I think the guy just saw an interesting shot and took it.

A keeper ? Very definitely for the wedding couple, makes their paid 'togs shot look a bit insipid.

Bottom Line ? Right place, right time, and a bit of luck.

ameerat42
02-10-2015, 8:52pm
Whotter Lotter Rah-Rah-Rah!

Yeah, sure! I'll take two and hurry because it's only for a LTD time.

Palaver, palaver, and other species of ducks:eek: - Eh, what? (Als:rolleyes:)

bobt
02-10-2015, 11:00pm
Yup ...... I figure the article's author needs to take a deep breath and have a quiet lie down. It's a nice photo, a keeper, not the Mona Lisa and not rubbish either. Not really worth all the hysteria. :confused013

Mark L
02-10-2015, 11:27pm
Not really worth all the hysteria. :confused013

Yup, strangely enough, in this world of selfies, when something a bit different turns up it goes viral. So while I don't consider this particularly interesting it's probably better than what hangs around various media these days.:(:confused013

martycon
04-10-2015, 1:32pm
Obviously there is little art in me, because I like the wedding shot with its, vista of sun and a glorious future. However journalists need to write to live, and if possible be not too boring. A contrary point of view is often refreshing, but this bloke got carried away and lost credibility. Bob, thanks for posting.

jim
06-10-2015, 2:48pm
Agree his first point; some of the language he quotes is ridiculous, and it irritates me when writers try to lead my by the nose. You tell me what happened, I'll decide if I think it's amazing or not...

But not his second. The picture looks fine to me.