PDA

View Full Version : Latest PayPal scam email with a warning about phishing scams.

Cage
24-09-2015, 1:57pm
Yep, this hit my email inbox today.

These insidious identity thieves are going to new levels to con you into thinking their emails are the real deal.

They are including a warning about phishing scams and spoof websites.

The sad thing is that some not so tech-savvy folk will get duped into clicking onto one of their links.

I've got to the stage where I don't click on any email links and go to the sites saved web address and proceed from there.

merlin1
24-09-2015, 2:11pm
Yes mate I have had a few of these your account has been limited.
I just delete them.

Ross.

tandeejay
24-09-2015, 2:23pm
I've got to the stage where I don't click on any email links and go to the sites saved web address and proceed from there.

This is the BEST thing you can do to protect yourself.

You get an email, never click links but type in the URL in the address bar...

(of course there will be occasional instances you do need to click the link, like when you sign up for somewhere like aus photograpy, and you are expecting to get the activation email.... Hmm... that still leaves a tiny window when you are potentially vulnerable if a scammer manged to send you a phishing email for the site you just signed up on, just before you received the activation email... however, the chance of a scammer being able to detect that window and act upon it are incredibly tiny)

Sites like paypal do have an email address you can forward scams like this to.

I @ M
24-09-2015, 2:24pm
Yep, almost a daily occurrence here to get an ANZ, ebay, paypal or apple "your account needs attention" notification.

I rekun I am smarta than them tho cos I dont have any accounts with ANZ, ebay, paypal or apple. :nod:

tandeejay
24-09-2015, 2:27pm
:lol: in fact, the scam email you've posted, includes the real paypal spoof email reporting address

Cage
24-09-2015, 2:48pm
They have obviously plucked their warnings from a genuine PayPal email, including this bit,
How do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or phishing emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your given name and family name. in which they shoot themselves in the foot as there is no salutation at all. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: in fact, the scam email you've posted, includes the real paypal spoof email reporting address

PayPal's local scam reporting address is actually phishing@ paypal.com.au (Space intended)