PDA

View Full Version : Canon DSLR repair - Best place?

SimoneK
21-09-2015, 8:30am
My 6D was splashed yesterday by a significant amount of salt water and subsequently is not turning on. I need to send it for repair and was wondering where would be the best place to send it?
Thank you

I @ M
21-09-2015, 9:10am
I hate to say it but ----

Chances are that your camera is now beyond economical repair. Salt water ingress is usually deemed as an uneconomical repair due to further corrosion occurring in the future.

SimoneK
21-09-2015, 9:17am
Wow. That is heartbreaking as i doubt i will be able to afford another one. Surely i could try?

Mary Anne
21-09-2015, 9:17am
Sorry to read that and hope your 6D is insured.

SimoneK
21-09-2015, 9:23am
Nope :(

Mary Anne
21-09-2015, 9:35am
Thats no good.. All my camera gear is covered by my House and Contents Insurance, it is the cheapest way to go.
And the gear I take out for the day or on holiday has portable cover on it.

SimoneK
21-09-2015, 9:51am
that's a good idea, unfortunately I wasn't that clever. I suppose my only option is to send it for repair, the worst that can happen is that they say no. I just want to know where a reputable place to send it is would be?

ameerat42
21-09-2015, 9:59am
Look up Canon Australia and find one that close to you, for a start.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this page:
https://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Personal/Support-Help/Service-and-Repairs

Mary Anne
21-09-2015, 10:03am
I would not waste my money its dead :( salt water is the killer here.

tandeejay
21-09-2015, 11:32am
The problem with salt water is that it is electrically conductive. Salt water on circuit boards will create short circuits with the potential to fry circuit components. The electrical conductivity also causes corrosion. The camera would need to be pulled completely apart and every component carefully washed with distilled water, and then carefully dried. Then comes the difficult bit... Locating all components that got fried by the initial salt water dunking, and corroded components, and replacing them.

The cost of the labour, and parts to do all this would be the killer and hence why you may find it cheaper to buy an brand new camera.

SimoneK
21-09-2015, 12:16pm
well I've sent it off, so I will wait and see. Thank you for your replies

tandeejay
21-09-2015, 12:23pm
Let us know how it goes.

SimoneK
21-09-2015, 1:45pm
Will do, I've got nothing to lose now..

farmmax
22-09-2015, 1:19am
Hopefully because it only was splashed and not completely dunked, there won't be massive amounts of damage. Fingers crossed :crossed:

ricktas
22-09-2015, 7:51am
For others. If your camera gets a soaking. Step one is turn it off straight away, remove the battery.

Never try and turn it on! Turning it on creates the electrical circuit, and water with electricity is the killer. Water is conductive and thus electrical charge will jump across circuits etc and short out the device. Salt water is worse still cause electricity and salt water create a corrosive effect.

If fresh water, put the camera somewhere to dry out, for days.. even a week. You can put some electrical devices in a bucket of dry rice as the rice will soak up to moisture, but if you do so with a camera, make sure rice cannot get inside it. Salt water, as stated above, means the entire device needs a bath in distilled water as soon as possible after the dunking took place, and once dunked thoroughly, then left to dry completely. However doing this for a water soaked electrical/electronic item does not guarantee it will again work. It also may work again for a while, then just stop working.

The best thing is to ensure you do everything you can to not get your device wet in the first place, and second, have it insured..esp if you cannot afford to replace it.

You can buy raincoats for cameras, if you do like taking your camera to locations where water splash (esp salt water) is a risk. Just google 'camera rain cover', or 'camera rain coat'. Or if you frequently go to water, perhaps an underwater housing should be a consideration.

I wish you luck with it Simone, but like many others have commented, it is probably coffinised.

Warbler
22-09-2015, 5:24pm
When you take the battery out as Rick says, make sure you also remove the little back-up battery as well. But as Rick says, it is probably too late to save it now if it got a good dunking.

Bennymiata
27-09-2015, 12:25pm
The trick with anything electrical getting soaked in salt water is the dunk in fresh, preferably distilled or filtered water ASAP.
Swish it around in the fresh water, then remove it and pat dry.
If possible, take the device apart by as much as you feel confident with and let it dry in a warm, shaded area.
I wouldn't recommend using rice because of the dust contamination, and if you put the camera in a plastic bag, it will sweat and recontaminate the interior of the camera.

If it's been out of the salt and not soaked for 6 hours, it's cactus I'm afraid.

unistudent1962
27-09-2015, 3:09pm
Without knowing the extent of the water damage, I'm not sure why everyone is assuming it will be dead.
I had a similar problem years ago and as it turned out water had gotten into the power switch.
Once that was replaced it was fine and there were no further issues.
I hope for Simone's sake that she has a similar outcome.
If you have contents insurance it could also be worth talking to your insurance company just in case there is a clause in there that you're not aware of.

The above comments about not turning on electronics that have been wet and getting them dried out asap is good advice and should be heeded by anyone else who experiences a similar problem.
MODS - Is there anyway this information could be put in a sticky for future reference?

Mark

lenscap
11-10-2015, 11:21pm
Sorry about your problem. Regarding insurance, have you checked with your insurance company as my gear is covered in my normal contents policy. I rang the insurance co. to see if it needed to be itemised separately and was told no.
Good luck with your repair.

ricktas
29-10-2015, 7:42am
Any update SimoneK; ?

SimoneK
07-11-2015, 9:10pm
UPDATE:

Yes! my camera and lens were repaired, and I got them back today. I am considering myself one very very lucky individual!

tandeejay
07-11-2015, 10:20pm
:th3: Thats great to hear!

Mary Anne
08-11-2015, 2:41pm
Good to hear. Yes lucky is right.

unistudent1962
26-11-2015, 9:57pm
UPDATE:

Yes! my camera and lens were repaired, and I got them back today. I am considering myself one very very lucky individual!

Out of curiousity did they give you a detailed breakdown letting you what had to be replaced/repaired?

acko
06-12-2015, 8:34pm
I have often pondered this problem when standing knee deep water with my own 6D.
I always check the strap connections etc.

I will be curious to see if yours can be saved.