PDA

View Full Version : Black Snake

Duane Pipe
20-09-2015, 2:53pm
Hi All. Been a while, I thought I better post something before I lost my privileges.
A Black Snake that I caught at the Archery club. Our land is swampy and has lots of native rats and hence "snakes.
Our President has been bitten twice by Black Snakes at the club and were both dry.
He was released after a look.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af351/SwearBear2/12025571_886301351449338_539736032_n_zpsx0ofjjej.jpg (http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/SwearBear2/media/12025571_886301351449338_539736032_n_zpsx0ofjjej.jpg.html)

Mary Anne
20-09-2015, 11:32pm
Hi Dave.. Interesting Reptile though not familiar with that snake, what kind of Black Snake is it.
I only know Red Bellied Blacks as there are plenty of those up here.

martycon
21-09-2015, 12:13am
That is a pretty casual sort of grip your friend has on that there snake, is he the one twice bitten?

Duane Pipe
21-09-2015, 9:23am
Hi Dave.. Interesting Reptile though not familiar with that snake, what kind of Black Snake is it.
I only know Red Bellied Blacks as there are plenty of those up here.

Sorry Mary Anne it is a Red Bellied Black snake, I cal lthem Black snakes. Not aggressive at all.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a pretty casual sort of grip your friend has on that there snake, is he the one twice bitten?

That's actually me Marty. He wasn't struggling thats why the lose grip, I dont make a habit of handling them but I do know how to safely, At least I think I do! :lol2:

Mary Anne
21-09-2015, 9:50am
Sorry Mary Anne it is a Red Bellied Black snake, I cal lthem Black snakes. Not aggressive at all.

I have come across a few in my time, watched in amazement as one pair did their mating dance in the middle of the road.
There is one down the Eagleby wetlands and every time we go there and walk on the board walk it slithers away below in the grass and hides from us.
Tony has seen a few when walking around our local lagoon, though they are adult size.. I have never seen a small or young one before so Thanks for Sharing Dave.

ameerat42
21-09-2015, 9:53am
DP. Is this a "red-bellied" black snake (as are often found near damp places)?
Also, did you have the "jitters"? - the pic is crook:D:D

Cage
21-09-2015, 10:25am
Hey Dave, good to see ya mate. You're looking well.

Your little mate doesn't look too impressed. Glad you both survived.

Duane Pipe
21-09-2015, 2:33pm
I have come across a few in my time, watched in amazement as one pair did their mating dance in the middle of the road.
There is one down the Eagleby wetlands and every time we go there and walk on the board walk it slithers away below in the grass and hides from us.
Tony has seen a few when walking around our local lagoon, though they are adult size.. I have never seen a small or young one before so Thanks for Sharing Dave.

They do love swampy ground Mary Anne. The dance would have been amazing to watch I recon. They a very shy and tamable so they Say, not that I would trust them. I think if any animal is handled correctly they can become familiar with you and more relaxed. The President says the place is riddled with them so expect more images, I will use my Canon next time.:th3:

- - - Updated - - -

DP. Is this a "red-bellied" black snake (as are often found near damp places)?
Also, did you have the "jitters"? - the pic is crook:D:D

Gday AM It sure is. I was a tad nervous but not in control of the Phone Camera;)

Extract from the web.

Red Bellied Black Snake Bite

Symptoms of a Red Belly Black Snake bite include bleeding and swelling at the site of the bite, nausea, vomiting and headache, diarrhoea, muscle pain and general weakness. The victim may also pass red-brown urine as a result of muscle damage caused by the cytotoxin in the snake's venom.

There is no record of any human dying from a Red Bellied Black Snake bite.

A friend was Bitten last year while hunting, He only suffered a mild illness for a few days.:th3:

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Dave, good to see ya mate. You're looking well.

Your little mate doesn't look too impressed. Glad you both survived.

Thanks for the nice comments Kev;) Its good to pop in for a chinwag I must do it more often. The bloke who found him was Kicking at it and pocking it with a stick so it was about as angry as it could be. I love creatures great and small.

Hamster
21-09-2015, 4:01pm
Nice. I don't get to see anywhere near as many snakes as I'd like. I went for a wander around a local lake on Friday looking for a shoot location and was hoping I'd spot something, but no luck. But I do know that if I did see anything I wouldn't be handling it because I could be pretty sure it would most likely be a dugite or a tiger snake :)

Redgums
22-09-2015, 7:59am
Nice. I don't get to see anywhere near as many snakes as I'd like. I went for a wander around a local lake on Friday looking for a shoot location and was hoping I'd spot something, but no luck. But I do know that if I did see anything I wouldn't be handling it because I could be pretty sure it would most likely be a dugite or a tiger snake :)

Come out this way and you'll see plenty! On, did I mention they're Eastern Brown snakes? Cranky buggers ....

outstar79
10-12-2015, 1:19pm
Hey Dave! Good to see you mate! Hope all is well!

You sure on the ID, looks a little pale for a RBB First glance I thought it was a lowland copperhead :cool: