PDA

View Full Version : Interesting how many now do not own a digital camera

agb
26-05-2015, 8:20am
Digital point-and-shoot cameras have also seen their best days. The proportion of households with a digital camera, a product slowly cannibalised in the smartphone revolution, peaked in 2009 at 60 per cent. It has since dropped to 50 per cent.

"Remember how amazing they were? You could take a photo, see it straight away, and then save through a cord to your computer's hard drive, and email through Hotmail as an attachment to your family and friends," said Mr Martin.

"Between 2000 and 2009, almost 5 million households purchased a digital camera. By then, though, you could take photos on your phone and instantly share it on social media. So half a million homes chucked their digital cameras away."
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/hometech/research-shows-exactly-when-we-reached-peak-ipod-20150525-gh8xtp.html

ktoopi
26-05-2015, 10:13am
Interesting thread.....I used to carry a point and shoot in my handbag at all times.............I haven't done since I got my first iphone (iphone 3) :):tog: I gave my last point and shoot, a canon ixus ...can't remember which one to my then 8 year old to muck about with as It was just lying around unused:D She doesn't even use it anymore as she has an ipad and an old iphone 4s ( she's 11 now) of my husbands and prefers those for taking photos and video:eek:

MissionMan
26-05-2015, 11:16am
The only P&S I still have is a waterproof one I use for the beach and even that get used only a couple of times a year. I think the smartphone killed the P&S market. Nobody I know uses them anymore.

Cage
26-05-2015, 1:10pm
For 'happy snappers' the smartphone is the perfect tool.

For those that wanted slightly better image quality and more control, then the P&S was the solution. However this is the segment of the market that is being heavily eroded by the camera phone. Other than the size factor, it is not such a big step up from a P&S to an entry level DSLR. I can see the compact sector of the DSLR market being very competitive and highly innovative as the camera manufacturers try to find more ways to wean the happy snappers off their camera phones.

Hopefully the innovations will flow on to the enthusiast/semi-pro sector.

I'm obviously a dinosaur because for me, if it ain't got a proper viewfinder, it ain't a proper camera. :lol2:

ricktas
26-05-2015, 5:52pm
Ive still got 2 point and shoots that I use. One is an IR converted camera, the other is a small Fuji that takes 3D photos and video (which both work on my 3D tv).

I must be behind the times..nothing unusual there.... .... .... wanders off to get my abacus... ... back later... ... bye

feathers
26-05-2015, 7:39pm
Hmmm!... l just bought a p&s, to try some street work. Though l love my nikon D800, its hard to use in that type of work. The size of a pack of cards.
Excellent glass, the quality is right up there with lots of controls, and apps,...and a viewfinder:) think there's still a market for them, but not to the same extent?

jev
26-05-2015, 8:35pm
Another dinosaur here then... I still use my Canon ixus 310 HS a lot. Even though its features are limited compared to a real camera, the thing makes better images than my phone, it features a decent zoom, it handles better and it provides "super slow-motion" video recording. Overall, it's just a nifty little thing!

bobt
26-05-2015, 10:43pm
I'm obviously a dinosaur because for me, if it ain't got a proper viewfinder, it ain't a proper camera. :lol2:

Well ... I'm with you! I refuse to buy anything that hasn't got a viewfinder - and I go a tad further and refuse electronic viewfinders as well.

There ain't nothing like a real optical viewfinder.

MissionMan
26-05-2015, 10:45pm
Can the pensioners stop talking on this post and leave the topic to the under 60 year olds. We're trying to get realistic feedback, not how much you like your Sony Betamax :D

bobt
26-05-2015, 10:52pm
Can the pensioners stop talking on this post and leave the topic to the under 60 year olds. We're trying to get realistic feedback, not how much you like your Sony Betamax :D

I've just come back from a cruise with around 4000 old farts on board. I was talking to a young couple in their early twenties who were bemoaning the fact that the other cruisers went to bed early and took all these pills.

I would have talked longer except it was past my bedtime and I hadn't taken my evening tablets. :lol:

Nick Cliff
27-05-2015, 6:20am
The waterproof point and shoot and go pro type cameras seem to be popular for the more adventurous types.

Cage
27-05-2015, 12:05pm
Another dinosaur here then... I still use my Canon ixus 310 HS a lot. Even though its features are limited compared to a real camera, the thing makes better images than my phone, it features a decent zoom, it handles better and it provides "super slow-motion" video recording. Overall, it's just a nifty little thing!

I have a Canon PowerShot A550 that I bought about eight years back (it now lives in my car) and it still surprises me how good the images are without all the DSLR bells 'n' whistles.

I generally have it set on 'Kids and Pets' as I figure that is giving me a slightly higher shutter speed, to counteract my shaky hands.

merlin1
27-05-2015, 5:00pm
I have a Nikon Coolpix s3000, gets used around the house at times.

I don't own a mobile phone.

So I must be really old.

Ross.

Mark L
27-05-2015, 7:49pm
I've just come back from a cruise with around 4000 old farts on board. I was talking to a young couple in their early twenties who were bemoaning the fact that the other cruisers went to bed early and took all these pills.

I would have talked longer except it was past my bedtime and I hadn't taken my evening tablets. :lol:

You all took the wrong pills with you then.:eek:

ricktas
27-05-2015, 9:09pm

Oooi. I still have a super-8 movie camera..and the projector.

And I am still under 60.

Wash your mouth out with soap, ya whipper snapper!:D

bobt
27-05-2015, 9:32pm
You all took the wrong pills with you then.:eek:

Yup ..... most of them needed diet pills!! I've never seen such a shipload of obese, chronically fat cruisers in all my life! Mobility scooters everywhere, not due to disability but because the silly sods couldn't walk they were such lumps pf lard. I should have taken a wide angle lens.:eek:

MissionMan
28-05-2015, 12:01pm
Yup ..... most of them needed diet pills!! I've never seen such a shipload of obese, chronically fat cruisers in all my life! Mobility scooters everywhere, not due to disability but because the silly sods couldn't walk they were such lumps pf lard. I should have taken a wide angle lens.:eek:

Sadly it's the days of the quick fix. Overweight? Take a pill.

Unfortunately I think our education system has been badly designed. In the interests of political correctness, we have pushed people from "thin is best" down a path of "be happy with yourself" without realising we are now creating new extremes as a result. We now have new levels of obesity like morbidly obese because obese is not longer sufficient to classify people.

I agree that the thin is best approach was flawed, but I think it should have been pushed down a path of being healthy, not being fat or thin or comfortable with yourself. Being comfortable with yourself doesn't help you if you die at 30 from a heart attack. Being healthy involves eating properly and exercising. Pills won't help that. You can be obese or thin and still be healthy if you're eating the right foods and exercising. I also think more focus needs to be done on helping educate parents on what healthy actually is for their kids. I see young kids of 5 and 6 that weigh twice what they should, can't exercise and their obese parents are sitting back watching while their kids guzzle down 3 packets of crisps and cool drink in the park instead of getting exercise. This example is set by the parents creating the wrong foundations with their kids who will grow up thinking this is normal.

Mark L
28-05-2015, 7:13pm
You forgot another thing MM.
First P&S and now phones pretending to be cameras has meant that a lot of people now don't get the exercise of carrying a DSLR around.
Maybe a new government health program could be started giving people DSLRs and tripods to carry around.

MissionMan
28-05-2015, 7:35pm
No way. It's hard enough competing for the ausphoto comps without them. We'd also have a 100 entries of random things in their houses like their super 8 projectors.

ricktas
28-05-2015, 7:44pm
No way. It's hard enough competing for the ausphoto comps without them. We'd also have a 100 entries of random things in their houses like their super 8 projectors.

You be careful young fella. I has access to a big red button!:nod:

MissionMan
28-05-2015, 8:00pm
You be careful young fella. I has access to a big red button!:nod:

I think most of the super 8 cameras had big red buttons :D

mudman
28-05-2015, 10:02pm
i used to think back in the film days that most people waling around with SLRs were out of their depth, and would have been better off with a point and shoot. i still think the same now in the digital era.
so maybe some people have woken up to the reality that a DSLR is a waste of money as far as their camera needs go

ricktas
29-05-2015, 7:33am
I think most of the super 8 cameras had big red buttons :D

Ah yes, but the red button on my super 8 lets me record stuff and see it again later. The big red button on AP, lets me remove 'stuff' that then cannot be seen at all. Just a minor difference in operational procedure, but a vast difference for those involved in the viewing. :rolleyes:

HughD
07-07-2015, 9:56pm
The new GoPro is waterproof without a special case, is reasonably robust and has only one button. My iPhone doesn't like water and if I drop it, well..... I believe that the action camera market is the next big opportunity and will take over from the traditional point and shoot.

ameerat42
08-07-2015, 8:27am
Well, the title could as well have read, "Interesting how many now still own a digital camera".:D

MissionMan
08-07-2015, 8:53am
The new GoPro is waterproof without a special case, is reasonably robust and has only one button. My iPhone doesn't like water and if I drop it, well..... I believe that the action camera market is the next big opportunity and will take over from the traditional point and shoot.

I'm not sure if I agree. GoPro's are great for things like sport, but I've never looked at it beyond that and having heaps of video is a mission to edit.

feathers
08-07-2015, 9:28am
I see the new sony p&s has 4k video and stills. As well as the usual 20mp. Super slow motion video, reasonably fast lens, and wifi. Lots of nice features in a very small camera.

Tommo224
20-07-2015, 5:54pm
I used to have a couple of small point-and-shoot cameras! One I used to leave in my car, and one I used to always carry with me.

I keep looking at smaller point and shoot size cameras, like the Sony RX100 series! But just can't justify buying one, not when I have an iPhone with me wherever I go. But I want to get one, because underwater housing for them is soooooooo much cheaper than for a full size DSLR!

My 5D3 always tends to be with me, whether it is locked in my car, or sitting in the corner of whoever's house I happen to be visiting at the time. I also tend to use my iPhone more than my 5D3 now, unless if I am going for something that requires proper photography (and not just a simple photo for the sake of remembering something, or to quickly share something on FB). Phones are so capable these days!

In saying that, my phone will never replace my DSLR as a form of photography! It is merely a tool/useful quick camera, not a 'proper photography device' for me.