PDA

View Full Version : Canon Error 80 message

wideangle
13-05-2015, 8:28pm
Has anyone ever got an Error 80 message on their Canon DSLR, and know what error 80 means?

Eden
14-05-2015, 1:32pm
What model is the DSLR?
Are you using a canon lens?
Does it happen every time you try to use it?

"have you turned it off" And "pulled the battery out" And "changed the memory card to another" And "if you have 2 batteries swap to another" then put it all back and try again.

Ensure the memory card is a fast one!!!!

also while doing the above have a peek inside the front and see if mirror looks loose or jammed or crooked !

do you pull out the memory card and then insert it in your computer to load files to your computer or do you use the cable directly to transfer files?

report back please

cheers Eden

Cris
14-05-2015, 8:43pm
Mmmmm, I think i had error 80 on my 5dm2 in 2011. Shutter box failure was the diagnosis, about $600 later and a new shutter it was all good. I was carrying my camera back across an estuary still mounted on the tripod, the water ran down the inside of the tripod legs, thru the head and across the camera body, not much, but enough to do the damage. probably not what you wanted to hear.

wideangle
14-05-2015, 11:38pm
Mmmmm, I think i had error 80 on my 5dm2 in 2011. Shutter box failure was the diagnosis, about $600 later and a new shutter it was all good. I was carrying my camera back across an estuary still mounted on the tripod, the water ran down the inside of the tripod legs, thru the head and across the camera body, not much, but enough to do the damage. probably not what you wanted to hear.

No water got on the camera, although I was shooting in sub zero tempretures. I have never had the issue come up before, its the first time and haven't been able to replicate it since. I left the camera for about 10 minutes, turned it on again and all was back to normal. Mabye it was the sevre cold that "locked" the shutter as I have seen this mentioned in posts when shooting in sub zero conditions.

bricat
15-05-2015, 10:25am
I got this off another forum

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8194.0

cheers Brian

^^^^^as Cris said

crafty1tutu
15-05-2015, 1:15pm
I had this on my 7D when we were in Kruger last year (luckily I had taken my 5D MK III as well). When I came home, I sent it to Canon for repair and they said the whole top of the camera had to be replaced. I decided not to go ahead with the repairs due to cost, but when it came back it was working perfectly. Maybe something in the shutter release was stuck and when they checked the camera it came unstuck. From what you say though, your problem could have been the extreme cold making the shutter release freeze for a few moments.

wideangle
15-05-2015, 8:45pm
I got this off another forum

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8194.0

cheers Brian

^^^^^as Cris said

Err 80: Electronic control or image malfunction so it says on that link. Still sounds rather abstract to me, I don't think its really worth sending in though if I haven't been able to replicate the issue since it happened?

acko
02-06-2015, 11:10am
Mention has been made to pulling the SD card out and inserting it into your computer. I must admit that this is what I do when downloading.
Is it the members opinion that it is better not to disturb the card too often, but rather download from the camera to the computer?