Kym
22-04-2015, 2:03pm
So have you tried it?

Yes, installed it this AM.
All the basics work, I've not tried any of the new features yet

I suggest uninstalling LR5 first

MrQ
22-04-2015, 3:26pm
I've been trying it out today. It's not noticeably different. There are new features like the built in HDR/panoramas and face recognition, and apparently some new stuff in the web, book and slideshow modules (if anyone uses those) but it generally looks and works the same. You can finally brush out parts of the radial and graduated filters, which is nice. Some of the develop module options seem a bit quicker but general library functions are still sluggish (this on an i7 CPU w/16GB RAM). It still has timezone problems with importing photos into the correct date folder with iPhone images. I've also had a couple of bugs where it imported files that weren't selected and recognised faces from photos that weren't in the catalogue.

Overall it seems a decent upgrade though. If you're a CC subscriber there's not really any reason not to try it.

One thing to note: if you install the CC version (not sure about the standalone LR6 version) it keeps your existing LR5 installed and working. This is on Mac and Windows. So if you want to play around with the new version you can do so safe in the knowledge that your old version is still there and working.

Hamster
22-04-2015, 4:26pm
The new version of LR looks to have some interesting new features. I'll reserve judgement on the HDR merge but if it's able to to the merge to 32 bit tiff that Photomatix used to do then I'll be happy.
By that, I mean I used to be able to use the Photomatix plugin to pull in a 32 bit image into LR with an exposure range of 20. This seemed to disappear when I switched to Mac.

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/21/adobe-unveils-lightroom-cc-speed-boost-raw-hdr-and-pano-face-finding-and-more/

NickoHG
22-04-2015, 5:13pm
OK, will look into upgrading from LR5.

griffljg
22-04-2015, 7:05pm
Is there any way of getting a non-CC version?

Kym
22-04-2015, 7:40pm
Is there any way of getting a non-CC version?

Yes, it is available as V6 stand alone.
The SA price is more than the CC Photographers subscription for a year which includes photoshop.

griffljg
23-04-2015, 3:54am
Looking into my records, it is now 18 months since I bought Lightroom 5. How does that compare?

Kym
23-04-2015, 8:48am
Looking into my records, it is now 18 months since I bought Lightroom 5. How does that compare?

Break even for LR. BUT $120/year for CC (which INCLUDES Photoshop) vs LR6 at ~$200 one off.
No brainer really.

geoffsta
23-04-2015, 5:25pm
I have gone the CC way, and find it quite good. There however is no need to include Lightroom. Photoshop CC comes with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) which is Lightroom, only better. In conjunction with Adobe Bridge your work flow will improve. An example with this is; say you take 400 images, you can load them all in ACR, doing all the basic processing that you apply to every image all in one hit. like sharpening...

Kym
23-04-2015, 7:47pm
There however is no need to include Lightroom.
Disagree 110%

LR is a full DAM vs Bridge which is not much more that an image browser.

LR allows a lot of editing prior to using PS. They work very well in tandem.
LR can also bulk edit just like ACR but does more.

DacrimL
23-04-2015, 7:57pm
It seems my subscription has not yet expired so is automatically updating and installing, lucky me

geoffsta
23-04-2015, 8:08pm
LR is a full DAM vs Bridge which is not much more that an image browser.

I didn't say Bridge was anything other than a great way to categorize your work flow. (BTW.. The first time I used Lightroom, it tried to categorize every image on my computer. That was over 5 years ago. It turned me completely off the program, and have never used it since. It may have changed over the years, I certainly hope it has.)
What I was saying that for Photoshop CC for $129.00 a year that comes with Bridge, ACR and Photoshop, why spend the extra $.....

Hamster
23-04-2015, 9:20pm
Well the HDR merge seems to work ok and give a decent amount of control. Very much like the merge to 32 bit function of Photomatix. If you have problems with LRCC not opening when you click on it, i.e. Looks like it will for a second then disappears, then Sign out of your adobe account and sign back in.
When I started it for the first time it said it was going to create a LR 6 catalogue, but now seems to be using a Lightroom 5 catalogue-2.lrcat
I assume the old catalogue is the Lightroom 5 catalogue.lrcat. Has anyone else noticed this or did it create a Lightroom 6 catalogue.lrcat for you?

Babu
23-04-2015, 9:29pm
Hi Hamster
I downloaded and installed Lightroom CC on two of our computers yesterday. I haven't had much opportunity to play with it yet but I did manage to try a couple of panorama merges.
These worked easily and non-destructively to create raw file panos.
Have you checked out the Adobe webinars?

waylib
23-04-2015, 9:50pm
I have just installed the LR6 trial CC version ( I currently have LR5 ). When I open up a catalogue from LR5 it asks me to convert the catalogue to LR6 and when done it creates another lrcat file in the same location as the original.

Boo53
23-04-2015, 9:51pm
Well the HDR merge seems to work ok and give a decent amount of control. Very much like the merge to 32 bit function of Photomatix. If you have problems with LRCC not opening when you click on it, i.e. Looks like it will for a second then disappears, then Sign out of your adobe account and sign back in.
When I started it for the first time it said it was going to create a LR 6 catalogue, but now seems to be using a Lightroom 5 catalogue-2.lrcat
I assume the old catalogue is the Lightroom 5 catalogue.lrcat. Has anyone else noticed this or did it create a Lightroom 6 catalogue.lrcat for you?

Damn you Hamster, why didn't you post that 2 hours ago.

I've been going over the adobe site trying to solve that problem and my first reaction was to remove and reload, eventually burrowed deep enough in to their help system to find that. It works now, but I'm too tired to explore :lol:

Geoff, I think you're comparing a T model to a Tesla there.

Hamster
23-04-2015, 9:54pm
I have just installed the LR6 trial CC version ( I currently have LR5 ). When I open up a catalogue from LR5 it asks me to convert the catalogue to LR6 and when done it creates another lrcat file in the same location as the original.

What has it called this new lrcat file?

waylib
23-04-2015, 9:55pm
Same name but with a -2 at the end.

Hamster
23-04-2015, 10:09pm
Nope, not checked them out yet, but was going to find Julianne Cost's take on things as I quite like her.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for the reply. Same as mine then, so must be normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for the reply. Same as mine then, so must be normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn you Hamster, why didn't you post that 2 hours ago.

I've been going over the adobe site trying to solve that problem and my first reaction was to remove and reload, eventually burrowed deep enough in to their help system to find that. It works now, but I'm too tired to explore :lol:

Geoff, I think you're comparing a T model to a Tesla there.

Sorry. :D

Kym
23-04-2015, 10:09pm
I didn't say Bridge was anything other than a great way to categorize your work flow. (BTW.. The first time I used Lightroom, it tried to categorize every image on my computer. That was over 5 years ago. It turned me completely off the program, and have never used it since. It may have changed over the years, I certainly hope it has.)
Ok. I think that catalogue functions work well; much better than Bridge.

What I was saying that for Photoshop CC for $129.00 a year that comes with Bridge, ACR and Photoshop, why spend the extra $.....
What extra spend? Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge (inc ACR) are all part of the $120/year CC Photographer edition.

enseth
24-04-2015, 7:18am
This site has some videos on the new features.

https://hackingphotography.com/lightroom-cc-update/?inf_contact_key=018ce26e4f4f9a80df480e4d1a8ea317f539a356524ce79d98fe3c7ee8e75152

Hamster
24-04-2015, 9:58am
That page was a bit slow for me so an alternative is Julieanne Kost's (not Julianne Cost's :)) page, which has 3 videos on new CC features.

www.jkost.com

Hamster
26-04-2015, 9:55am
The face recognition seems to work fairly well. I told it who my boy was and it recognised 2000 images from weeks old to five years. Pretty impressive really as I struggle to recognize his baby pics :-)