PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to charge - selling digital stock images

jonharrisphotography
31-03-2015, 8:06pm
Hi!
Hoping for some advice on what to charge for selling stock images to a major hotel chain.

I've been asked to provide some samples and pricing to my local mercure hotel, for purchase of digital stock images. They want to get them printed to display in each of the rooms.

I've used various stock imagery pricing calculators in the past, and find that while they may provide 'industry standard' rates, I am in a fairly regional area and past quotes of mine have not been acceptable in this market.

Just wondering if anyone has had good luck selling images to hotels, and what sort of pricing or calculators were used?

Thanks!
Jon

freelancer
31-03-2015, 11:22pm
As you are aware you can ask what ever you like, getting it is another thing. Looking at some stock libraries these days images can be quite depressing compared to a few years ago, there are also many very good photographers who are willing to give their images for free just to say where they are being used.

Will they only be used in the rooms ? as Ive had accommodation places ask for what you are stating (pics in rooms) only to then find them in their advertising and websites even facebook where anyone can legally then use them.

Four years ago I could ask $150-$400 for the use where now its all free requests and the offer of your name mentioned on their website!!

Good luck with it.
Jon

jonharrisphotography
01-04-2015, 12:24pm
Thanks Jon,

Well they've asked me to provide a price so don't think they expect it for free... Just more trying to determine if I can justify the sort of numbers you're talking about or whether it will be closer to $70 or so per image... Guess I won't know till I give them a quote!

Pretty sure it's just for the room images but will definitely find out the usage and price/licence accordingly.

Thanks!
Jon

Steve Axford
01-04-2015, 7:27pm
Ask them what they are willing to pay.

geoffsta
06-04-2015, 9:59pm
Simple... Printing cost + Frame Cost + 100% markup for your time and effort..
eg: Printing = $30... Frame = $120.. = $150.00.. Add 100% = $300

jonharrisphotography
08-04-2015, 11:02am
Thanks Steve, good tip. Sometimes the direct approach is the best!

Also thanks Geoff... I'm pretty good with pricing my prints, but in this case I will be supplying the digital images as stock. Haven't had as much experience with this type of sale...
Jon

Hamster
08-04-2015, 4:07pm
...... even facebook where anyone can legally then use them.

?? Sorry, I'm probably misunderstanding, but are you saying that images posted on Facebook are free to be used by anyone?