PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Jan

Kurrajong
22-02-2015, 10:53am
Hi, I'm Jan,

While I've been taking images all my adult life I've not had the time with my other interests to do much more than just take images. I'm interested in learning how to take better images but not much interested in anything to technical as yet (walk properly before I try running).

First I'm looking at what others say as I decide what to buy to update; I'm after a carry everywhere compact to slip into the pocket to start with. To make images I'll need the basic tool/s.

I look forward to learning....:)

Jan.

ameerat42
22-02-2015, 2:02pm
Welcome to AP, Jan. Do you have a camera now?

Have a look in the Gear Talk forum (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Gear-Talk) and its sub-forums for recent discussions on cameras.

Also look in this Library link. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:Camera_Lens_and_Gear_Index)

Am.

Mary Anne
22-02-2015, 2:18pm
Hello Jan and Welcome to AP. Post some of those images on the Forum for CC that's another way to learn.

ricktas
22-02-2015, 3:44pm
Welcome to AP Jan. See you and your photos on the forums soon.

Kurrajong
22-02-2015, 6:45pm
Thanks for the welcome, ameerat42, Mary Anne and Rick.

Yes, I do have cameras; when I moved from film to digital (many moons ago) I bought a Fuji Finepix F5500, (4mp & 10X) - we were very happy with the images and the zoom let me get some images of wildlife that we have really enjoyed.

After the good experience with this one I updated to a Fuji Finepix S8100 10mp & 18x) - not far under $500.00 at the time - worst move I ever made; the only reason that I haven't smashed it with a brick is that it will take pretty reasonable macro and super macro images and I have a use for that.

After this experience I have dithered about for years wanting a reasonable camera but once bitten I find it hard to part with dollars again I'm only looking at spending up to $500.00 for something that really ticks all my boxes.

At the moment I make do with a cheap Sanyo 14mp, 4x for my "fit in the pocket,cart with me all the time camera" - very basic images, good enough to take an image of some text I needed a copy of, just basic stuff. Not good enough for images that I'd like to keep.

WISHLIST - I'm looking for a budget ($500>)compact camera at this stage, to take a few travel snaps, grandkids, flowers, animals etc. that sort of thing. Something that I can have on me at all times but still get a decent image. Like Mary Anne, I like to take images of wildlife and candid shots so a zoom of around 10X, a medium to larger sensor and a good sensor/processer match. I'm usually happy with auto mode but looking at learning a bit more now that I've joined Ausphotography.

Thanks again for the welcome; I'll have to have a look around the site, find where to post an image or two and read, read, read, and learn,

Jan.

Mark L
22-02-2015, 10:23pm
G'day Jan.
Welcome to a good place.
Once you've had a good look around ;) don't be afraid to post a new thread in the gear talk place ameerat42 mentioned above. Plenty of members look there that don't look at these intro threads.
I'd buy a Canon DSLR. :lol2:
Also don't be afraid to generally get involved. Making comments on others photos actually helps your own photography. "I like the way you've ....... ", or "not sure about ......... .Why did you do that?"

Kurrajong
22-02-2015, 11:11pm
I'd buy a Canon DSLR. :lol2:?"

I might too, eventually, but for now, small steps and a lot of learning to do,

tandeejay
23-02-2015, 8:01am
Be careful when buying a camera. Those references to things like "10x zoom" are IMO, a marketing gimick. I see that and think " 10 x what???" you will find that it is 10x the cameras shortest focal length, so one camera that says 8x zoom might actually have a longer zoom than another one that has 10x zoom. You really need to look at the actual focal length of both ends. But to make matters worse, the effect of the actual focal length will depend on the sensor size, so for instance, my camera has a micro 4/3rds sensor, and the focal length range is 4.2mm to 180mm. And you might think, 4.2 is very wide. But what you need to do is look for (or calculate) the 35mm equivalent as that seems to be the standard method of comparing cameras, so for my camera, that works out to 24mm to 1000mm.

Now that is quite a decent amount of zoom, and on the infomercial TV channel they use that as a marketing tool and show the equivalent lens for a full frame camera. BUT one thing they don't show you is a comparison of the images from the 2 lenses. I'm finding the super telephoto lens on my camera not as sharp at full zoom as I would like.

So just look out for the 35mm equivalent, and that should give you a common comparison between different cameras and lenses

John.

Kurrajong
23-02-2015, 6:47pm
Thanks, taandeejay, I'll keep that in mind.

bitsnpieces
24-02-2015, 3:20am
Welcome Jan, and with the budget you mentioned regarding a camera upgrade, you may want to look into some micro four third cameras, as they're generally cheaper, but with all the bells and whistles of the bigger cameras. You can then slowly add more lenses to your collection as you go down the track.

Olympus and Sony has some great cameras in this field.

Kym
24-02-2015, 9:49am
:gday: & Welcome to AP!
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Kurrajong
24-02-2015, 6:11pm
Thanks, bitsnpieces, I'll keep that in mind as I go on with this interest but first I'm after something to have in my handbag or pocket all the time so a compact camera is the first quest. I was sorely tempted by the Sony RX (I think) 100 but, while it does tick all the other boxes while being a bit more expensive, the 3.5 zoom is not quite enough for my needs; I was looking for 5 - 10 power zoom.

I'll keep researching as the Sony DSC WX350B, Lumix TZ60 and Canon Powershot SX700 HS that I'm looking at have way more zoom than I'm after and, while I have a use for some zoom, I've read that the bigger zooms tend to be a bit of a compromise re image quality. I'm certainly looking for the biggest sensor I can find in this range and a processer to match.

As it will spend most of its time in a handbag or pocket, the camera has to be something in the under $500.00 range as it is realistic to consider the possibility that it may go missing.

Yes, Kym, I will post some images eventually, but first I have to buy a camera.

Jan.

Mark L
24-02-2015, 11:03pm
Thanks, bitsnpieces, I'll keep that in mind as I go on with this interest but first I'm after something to have in my handbag or pocket all the time so a compact camera is the first quest. I was sorely tempted by the Sony RX (I think) 100 but, while it does tick all the other boxes while being a bit more expensive, the 3.5 zoom is not quite enough for my needs; I was looking for 5 - 10 power zoom.

I'll keep researching as the Sony DSC WX350B, Lumix TZ60 and Canon Powershot SX700 HS that I'm looking at have way more zoom than I'm after and, while I have a use for some zoom, I've read that the bigger zooms tend to be a bit of a compromise re image quality. I'm certainly looking for the biggest sensor I can find in this range and a processer to match.

As it will spend most of its time in a handbag or pocket, the camera has to be something in the under $500.00 range as it is realistic to consider the possibility that it may go missing.

Yes, Kym, I will post some images eventually, but first I have to buy a camera.

Jan.

Start a thread and ask some questions here .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Gear-Talk

There may be some that can give hands on experience of the research you're doing. What's the point of joining AP to just look at things and comment in the intro threads??:);)