PDA

View Full Version : Sir Prince Philip

Mark L
26-01-2015, 9:05pm
Is that what us Aussies call him now??
Good one Tony.:th3:

ricktas
26-01-2015, 9:09pm
The calibre of politician in this country has gone down hill so badly. Where have all the great people gone that want to see Australia move forward? Where are the politicians who have the interest of Australians as the core of why they are in parliament? The fact he did this without even discussing it with cabinet. Are we in a dictatorship?

ameerat42
26-01-2015, 9:13pm
Is that what us Aussies call him now??
Good one Tony.:th3:

I'd say even he would be quite bemused, and HM may well be amused!

Maybe this is what is meant by "shirtfronting". Next we can expect Sir V Putting:eek:

bcys1961
26-01-2015, 9:17pm
Tony Abbott is a sleeper secretly planted inside the Liberal Party many ago by Labor , and activated by the code words "You have won the Election!" . How else can you explain it ?

bobt
26-01-2015, 10:34pm
The calibre of politician in this country has gone down hill so badly. Where have all the great people gone that want to see Australia move forward? Where are the politicians who have the interest of Australians as the core of why they are in parliament? The fact he did this without even discussing it with cabinet. Are we in a dictatorship?

I find it ironic that on the day we're supposed to feel proud of our country, we find ourselves governed by a collection of amoral nitwits who haven't got a clue how to run a country, lead by a complete and utter moron who is making us a laughing stock around the world! It's just plain embarrassing. :o

As for the great politicians, we have a couple (such as Scott Ludlam) but mostly the good ones are muzzled in some way or dead and buried.

I used to be proud to be Australian, but ever since I become more aware of what actually happens in Canberra I have found little to be proud of - especially as half of us voted for the government we have!! That's one inescapable fact that simply boggles me.

ameerat42
26-01-2015, 10:42pm
Woe betide us is already betiding us!!!

pixy
26-01-2015, 10:45pm
The calibre of politicians is not to blame, it is the voters that put some of the senators in a job (that is all they worry about) until that is sorted out we will be in trouble.

Tony might be giving the captain`s call,but the Australian honours is recommended by a committee, so it might be the same with knight hoods and I cannot see any problem with them,
it was a big part of Australian culture.

Jack.

Analog6
27-01-2015, 6:36am
Agree Rick, We're almost a dictatorship, IMHO, and we definitely meet most of the 14 pointers to fascism. And we used to be a great country :(

Ionica
27-01-2015, 11:11am
Maybe it calls for a John McEnroe quote.
" You cannot be serious ".

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 12:48pm
Rumour has it next year he is planning on knighting the Queen as well. Maybe after that he can knight Prince William. I'm sure they must be sitting there thinking "wow, why be a prince when I can be a Sir"

In all honesty, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed by all the political candidates at the moment. It's like choosing between castration and a root canal. They all seem to be the same, very little charisma, very little intelligence and very little ethics. It's like they go to the same school. Given the quality of Australian leadership as a whole (very highly sought after from a global perspective), it seems our politicians are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

What gets me is how many of these politicians don't actually care about what the public want. As an example, the independent polls conducted show that the majority of the public are at least in support of a referendum on gay marriage and the politicians won't even do that. The problem is they are forgetting they work for us, not the other way around.

If Tony Abbott (or many of the other politicians) worked in private sector, they would have been fired. Government needs to implement an employment contract for this band of misfits (on all sides, not just libs) and make sure that they have to deliver on their promises or lose their jobs like anyone in the private sector would. Perhaps that would ensure that they are a little more truthful when making their election promises.

ameerat42
27-01-2015, 1:06pm
Do you mean making her a Dame (not a Knight):D

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 1:21pm
Nope, this is Tony Abbott we are talking about. He suffers from foot in mouth disease. He would try knight her into a Sir and worry about the political fallout afterwards or just call it internet graffiti :th3:

tduell
27-01-2015, 1:45pm
... It's like they go to the same school.

I think many do, and it's called "Clown School".

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 1:47pm
I find that insulting to clowns. At least we know they are being humorous. Our government is being serious when they make these mistakes :p

ameerat42
27-01-2015, 2:04pm
No joke! Sir Ronald MacDonald might actually make more sense.
Imagine the benefits. We could go to Macca's and ask for a Big Sir!:rolleyes:
Then they'd ask if you'd want any earldoms with that, and... so on and so sauce!!!

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 2:59pm
I think I'd be an awesome PM if I ever got into power.

My first action would be a piece of legislation to subsidise photography gear to 10% of the current price along with mandatory photography as a subject in school and free photographic training for all adults. Photographers may lose their jobs in the industry but the employment opportunities in schools would jump due to every school needing a photographer so they would be able to get employment and still be able to afford the latest gear. As much as teachers aren't paid well, they are probably still paid more than the average photographer :p

The payback would come from having only awesome photos of Australia on the web because everyone would have awesome gear and awesome training. People would assume these photos exist because Australia is simply awesome and this would result in a massive 300% jump in tourism which would create sufficient income to cover the photography subsidy along with a massive increase in the job market which would help reduce unemployment considerably. This reduction in unemployment would result in reduced taxes for all, more disposable income, which in turn would cause the economy to improve.

I'm a genius I tell you! :lol:

ameerat42
27-01-2015, 3:06pm
I think I'd be an awesome PM if I ever got into power.

My first action would be a piece of legislation to subsidise photography gear to 10% of the current price along with mandatory photography as a subject in school and free photographic training for all adults. Photographers may lose their jobs in the industry but the employment opportunities in schools would jump due to every school needing a photographer so they would be able to get employment and still be able to afford the latest gear. As much as teachers aren't paid well, they are probably still paid more than the average photographer :p

The payback would come from having only awesome photos of Australia on the web because everyone would have awesome gear and awesome training. People would assume these photos exist because Australia is simply awesome and this would result in a massive 300% jump in tourism which would create sufficient income to cover the photography subsidy along with a massive increase in the job market which would help reduce unemployment considerably. This reduction in unemployment would result in reduced taxes for all, more disposable income, which in turn would cause the economy to improve.

I'm a genius I tell you! :lol:

Ch 2. Arise, Sir MissionMan.

Epilog: Mass exodus from Oz:eek:

peterv
27-01-2015, 3:35pm
The problem with politics is that ANYONE can become a politician.No formal training required.Fish and chip shop owners can "qualify". (No disrespect to any fish and chip shop owners meant).

Every other profession or trade requires years of training and study.Not politics.This is why we have the yahoos running the country. Treasurers that don't have to study finance?

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 3:43pm
The problem with politics is that ANYONE can become a politician.No formal training required.Fish and chip shop owners can "qualify". (No disrespect to any fish and chip shop owners meant).

Every other profession or trade requires years of training and study.Not politics.This is why we have the yahoos running the country. Treasurers that don't have to study finance?

I think that's exactly the problem. If the government was a company and you were going to hire someone to run your finance division, one would assume you would hire a person who is extremely well qualified. Same goes for the rest of the portfolios including transport, etc. Instead we have people whose only skill is standing up and going "These guys are idiots, they don't know what they are doing and we'll do better" when they are the opposition. None of them seem to bother to do a reality check to see the long term impacts of any policies created or how they would impact on the country in 5, 10 or 20 years time.

There is no accountability for promises. Where in the world would you be able to run a company for 4 years with no accountability and then walk away with a massive pension for your troubles.

There also seems to be a culture of entitlement from politicians instead of doing what is right. First class flights when the economy is doing badly (which wouldn't happen in private sector), increases and bonuses when they are doing a poor job, travel without good reason simply because they are entitled to x number of trips per year, etc.

ricktas
27-01-2015, 4:14pm
perhaps he thinks Lizzie and co will return the favour and we shall have to bow to Sir Tony...soon

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 4:16pm
perhaps he thinks Lizzie and co will return the favour and we shall have to bow to Sir Tony...soon

Let's hope not. The only culture he has is between his toes or when he eats yoghurt in the morning :D

rookie
27-01-2015, 6:13pm
Tony Abbott will go down as Australia's worst ever PM.He is nothing but an embarrassment to this great country.

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 7:42pm
Tony Abbott will go down as Australia's worst ever PM.He is nothing but an embarrassment to this great country.

Sadly I think you're right and given the leadership fiasco before he arrived, that's actually quite hard to achieve.

ricktas
27-01-2015, 7:54pm
Sadly I think you're right and given the leadership fiasco before he arrived, that's actually quite hard to achieve.

I think that is the only reason the Libs will not challenge for him to be replaced. They would look like right gooses doing what Labor did last time playing musical chairs, with apologies to all gooses, everywhere. (the feathered kind)

ameerat42
27-01-2015, 8:08pm
They don't have to go that far, Rick. They're looking pretty good (goosewise) already:D:D:D

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 8:49pm
I think that is the only reason the Libs will not challenge for him to be replaced. They would look like right gooses doing what Labor did last time playing musical chairs, with apologies to all gooses, everywhere. (the feathered kind)

The way Abbott is going, the question is whether it will do more damage replacing him than he will cause in power because he seems to be causing so much damage through stupidity.

Bennymiata
27-01-2015, 9:25pm
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.
Phil already has that many titles that it would take 2 pages to print out, and what has he ever done for Australia?
Surely Tony could have found an Australian to award the knightship to.

I think Tony has lost the plot, and the sooner he "retires" for family reasons the better.

Cage
27-01-2015, 10:35pm
Politicians don't run the country, it's run by the 'faceless brigade', AKA The Public Circus.

Unfortunately most who enter politics are either egotists, or opportunists looking to elevate their perceived status in life and fatten their wallets.

leanneqld
27-01-2015, 10:47pm
I think if the Libs were to replace Tony as Leader the whole country would rejoice.

ameerat42
27-01-2015, 10:50pm
A Prince, a Knight, and a PM all walked into a bar...

bcys1961
27-01-2015, 10:55pm
The way Abbott is going, the question is whether it will do more damage replacing him than he will cause in power because he seems to be causing so much damage through stupidity.

Yes , let's not forget why Abbott and the Lib's are in power. The last lot were so bad we chucked them out . Now we think we might put them back in . I think, as a nation, we have snookered ourselves!

MissionMan
27-01-2015, 11:03pm
Yes , let's not forget why Abbott and the Lib's are in power. The last lot were so bad we chucked them out . Now we think we might put them back in . I think, as a nation, we have snookered ourselves!

Tell me about it. Hence the reason I said it's like choosing between a root canal and castration.

They have better candidates in the parties. They may not be good candidates, but they are still better than the current idiots who share a parrot brain. Julie Bishop or Malcolm Turbull would have been preferable to Abbott and would probably have only seemed like a minor dental surgery as opposed to a full root canal. Labor also have better candidates than Shorten but both parties seem to pride themselves on picking the most repulsive of options to try see who can provide the least preferable candidate to the public.

bcys1961
27-01-2015, 11:10pm
Tell me about it. Hence the reason I said it's like choosing between a root canal and castration.

They have better candidates in the parties. They may not be good candidates, but they are still better than the current idiots who share a parrot brain. Julie Bishop or Malcolm Turbull would have been preferable to Abbott and would probably have only seemed like a minor dental surgery as opposed to a full root canal. Labor also have better candidates than Shorten but both parties seem to pride themselves on picking the most repulsive of options to try see who can provide the least preferable candidate to the public.

I'm afraid in politics , nice guys don't finish first! There is a reason these guys get to the top as they are the ones prepared to bribe, cajole, threaten , smooch , pander .... and generally do what ever it takes to get there .

Mark L
28-01-2015, 9:32pm
I think if the Libs were to replace Tony as Leader the whole country would rejoice.

And you want to stop me having a laugh every other week?
It's all Peta's fault anyway. Just ask Rupert!

ameerat42
28-01-2015, 9:39pm
...It's all Peta's fault anyway. Just ask Rupert!...

And it was also his fault for opinionising so much in his paper. - And he's a foreigner to boot!:rolleyes:

Warbler
29-01-2015, 3:13am
Well at the risk of spoiling a good rant, and because some of you may not know this, here's some info from your favourite small 'l" liberal, Malcolm (where are my pants) Fraser.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/knight-and-day-as-charles-was-a-popular-choice-back-in-1981/story-fni0cx12-1227200131140

ricktas
29-01-2015, 6:52am
Well at the risk of spoiling a good rant, and because some of you may not know this, here's some info from your favourite small 'l" liberal, Malcolm (where are my pants) Fraser.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/knight-and-day-as-charles-was-a-popular-choice-back-in-1981/story-fni0cx12-1227200131140

I think this line is the one that needs re-quoting from that "Mr Fraser had the support of his party when he recommended the honour to the governor-general Sir Zelman Cowen and the Queen."

30 years ago, Australia was a very different place, and was still very much a child of the commonwealth, with big ties back to England. The Australian Republic movement was not even around (that came circa 1991).

Warbler
29-01-2015, 7:31am
Yes, but the point is that we don't call Prince Charles "Sir" at all. You'll also find Her Maj has the old Imperial Honours after her name and she is never called "Dame" either. Storm, Tea cup, Didn't see the same rant here when Tendulkar was awarded an AM by the luvvies. All of these awards are political these days. The rot set in when someone of the left decided to use them to push the social-conscience agenda.

ricktas
29-01-2015, 7:42am
Yes, but the point is that we don't call Prince Charles "Sir" at all. You'll also find Her Maj has the old Imperial Honours after her name and she is never called "Dame" either. Storm, Tea cup, Didn't see the same rant here when Tendulkar was awarded an AM by the luvvies. All of these awards are political these days. The rot set in when someone of the left decided to use them to push the social-conscience agenda.

I agree they are political and best left in the 1970's/80's where they belonged..

Warbler
29-01-2015, 7:54am
This is worth a view. Good old Maj is very well decorated and honoured by lots of governments around the planet. One of my favourites though is the one from Canada in 1957 and the one from Slovaka much later. Who'd have been honoured to receive "Member First Class of the Order of the White Double Cross"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Queen_Elizabeth_II

And Phil the Greek has a few of his own including an Order of Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh

ameerat42
29-01-2015, 8:35am
You think Sir Philip is bad?!! Imagine a knight of the media realm!!
How does Prince Rupert Sound? (http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g28923-d144468-i42708484-Inside_Passage-Alaska.html):eek::eek:

(Actually it's not a bad place:cool:)

MissionMan
29-01-2015, 8:57am
There are a lot of things that have changed in the last 30 years. I think Tony has mistaken a return to old fashioned values with living in the past

MissionMan
29-01-2015, 8:59am
You think Sir Philip is bad?!! Imagine a knight of the media realm!!
How does Prince Rupert Sound? (http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g28923-d144468-i42708484-Inside_Passage-Alaska.html):eek::eek:

(Actually it's not a bad place:cool:)

Maybe that's a way to return to budget. Offer the oober rich opportunities to buy knighthood. I'm sure there are a couple of vain oober rich who would pay $100 million to see a Sir in front of their name. Clive Palmer would.

Warbler
29-01-2015, 9:08am
Maybe that's a way to return to budget. Offer the oober rich opportunities to buy knighthood. I'm sure there are a couple of vain oober rich who would pay $100 million to see a Sir in front of their name. Clive Palmer would.

If you'd accept a cheque from Clive, I've got a bridge you might be interested in buying.

MissionMan
29-01-2015, 9:37am
If you'd accept a cheque from Clive, I've got a bridge you might be interested in buying.

Clive would pay for Australia to be renamed clivepalmeralia if it was on sale and he could afford it :th3:

Grant S
29-01-2015, 11:08am
Why anyone actually cares about this is the most surprising thing to me.:confused013

I @ M
29-01-2015, 11:22am
Why anyone actually cares about this is the most surprising thing to me.:confused013

I think it is very important that people care about debacles like this otherwise we run the risk of the uncaring masses voting in egotistical, out of touch with reality, self serving politicians who are prone to random acts of nepotism and stupidity.

Hmm, is that why we now have a worldwide laughing stock of a prime minister who it would appear is even out of favour with his own party. It even seems that nobody can actually find anyone who will own up to voting for him at the last election.

ameerat42
29-01-2015, 11:50am

Yeah! Well how would you feel if suddenly you were made a knight?

It goes to show how easily a country can become a beKnighted land:eek:

Duane Pipe
29-01-2015, 5:29pm

The trouble is we only have two major parties to vote for. Toss a coin for a Tosser. I like Pauline Hanson's patriotism but I think she is Blonde in disguise. What is a voter to do!!!

Hawthy
29-01-2015, 8:36pm
[QUOTE=MissionMan; It's like choosing between castration and a root canal. .[/QUOTE]]

Given my druthers, I think I would choose the root canal. Sure, I don't use the others that often these days but they still look kinda sporty!

We have a nitwit up here who wants to be premier who couldn't say at what percentage the GST is charged. Wot the??

Grant S
30-01-2015, 10:16am
Did it change the cost of living? Are the sunsets the wrong colour now? The knighting of an old English twit by an Australian twit really makes no difference to anyone's life so why would it matter? Replacing a bunch of fools with another bunch of fools won't change anything either.

P.S. Why would the auto-censor remove the word t.w.u.n.t?:confused013

ameerat42
30-01-2015, 10:50am
...Did it change the cost of living? Are the sunsets the wrong colour now? The knighting of an old English twit by an Australian twit really makes no difference to anyone's life so why would it matter? Replacing a bunch of fools with another bunch of fools won't change anything either...

Well, no, BUT I betcher the sky will fall now:eek:

...P.S. Why would the auto-censor remove the word t.w.u.n.t?:confused013...

To hazard a guess, probably because it doesn't like spelling mistakes in SQUARE words.:D

Kym
30-01-2015, 2:43pm
P.S. Why would the auto-censor remove the word t.w.u.n.t?:confused013
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=##### and because we imported the word list from overseas.

peterv
30-01-2015, 9:19pm
Phil the Greek

Lol. My mum used to call him that and I used it to a friend the other day,they had no idea who I was talking about.

Mark L
30-01-2015, 9:50pm
The knighting of an old English twit by an Australian twit really makes no difference to anyone's life so why would it matter?

But that "Australian twit" is the Captain of our team. Seem like less than 10% of team Australia think "knighting of an old English twit" is a good idea.
Judgement of modern Australia?
Sunrise and sunset will thankfully continue for the time being.

Glenda
01-02-2015, 7:14am
I assume Tony does have some smarts, after all he was a Rhodes Scholar. So he must be getting even more worried about his leadership after Qld voters resoundingly showed what they think of despotic leaders.

pjs2
07-02-2015, 9:13am
First of all an Australian peoples honour should not be left to one person to decide. Once a prince always a prince, but surely once a knights enough. Once politicians stop listening to the vocal minorities like the god bothers and the cyclists they will realise that there are a bun load of people out there that are the real power source of king and queen makers the better. Anybody got any ideas how to get a voice for the normal people with everyday living problems and not some agenda driven group of loonies. Think what might happen if we had a god bothering cyclist as a prime minister scary thought isn't it. I would like to vote Greens 1 but I cannot take the chance of letting Libs in so I vote Labor and put Greens second. I don't think that Labor and Libs are that far apart but the way I see it is if you want the country to be dept free and have no services like hospital care for those who don't have full private care and pot holes in our roads,bad child minding centers that used to be called schools, unless you can afford private like all the casual $5 an hour employed people do. At least you have a job even though you cant pay your bills to the privatised company that has decreased it costs (luckily) vote Liberal. Labor they will spend your money on the things we need and deserve but people don't want to have to pay for it . USER PAYS PEOPLE Just like in your house hold prices go up every year. We expect our pollies to say we wont increase this and we wont increase that and thats what they do, hence our disappointment in them.I will pay more taxes if my money is going to the things that need doing (health.schools,infer structure) buggered if I what to be taxed extra and have my money go to cycling lanes and private schools that only the rich that don't pay enough if any taxes can afford. Anyhoo thats my rant for today . One day I'll tell you why cyclists should be shot and religions should be taxed.

Thanks for reading and remember
VOTE ONE
PETER SMITH
THE OVER WEIGHT AND
UNDER LOVED PARTY

ricktas
07-02-2015, 9:25am
Thanks for reading and remember
VOTE ONE
PETER SMITH
THE OVER WEIGHT AND
UNDER LOVED PARTY

I hear there is a job in a big white building in Canberra up for grabs this Tuesday. You should apply!

MissionMan
07-02-2015, 9:36am
One day I'll tell you why cyclists should be shot and religions should be taxed.

+1

Cyclists seem to be the new mafia. A small minority of people who think they own the roads, can ignore the rules and are unaccountable for their actions.

I @ M
07-02-2015, 9:40am
+1

Cyclists seem to be the new mafia. A small minority of people who think they own the roads, can ignore the rules and are unaccountable for their actions.

Seriously guys, I would tone that attitude down a long way please.

For any bad cyclist anecdote that you want to spurt forth I can reply x3 with similar about motor vehicle drivers who think they own the roads, can ignore the rules and be unaccountable for their actions ----

I @ M
07-02-2015, 10:06am
True, but at least cars are accountable to the law.

Cyclists are accountable to the law. Cyclists do get booked for their actions when the break the law. I do have first hand accounts of that from a member of the police force.

I would challenge you to show a third of the number of cyclists that are booked for their actions. I have yet to see any cyclist booked for some of the crap they pull.

I would challenge you to show figures that say 1/3 of cyclists who break the laws aren't getting booked. I would also challenge you to show figures that say that 1/3 of motor vehicle operators who break the law are being booked.

As a hypothesis I would guess that the percentage of cyclist who do get booked from the overall numbers on the roads is already higher than the booking rate for motor vehicle users.

I agree that motorists are bad, but as an actual percentage of drivers, I think they are a small number. In comparison, the number of cyclists would be a larger percentage of the total riding base and getting larger because there is no law enforcement initiatives aimed at them.

Show me solid figures and proof to substantiate your feelings. I would almost lean the other way to say that the majority of motor vehicle operators break the road rules each day.

MM and others, I don't live in the 'burbs so cyclists don't interrupt my travels much and cause me much frustration in the traffic but I do encounter plenty of them on the roads here and the overwhelming majority do ride within the law.
Likewise I don't start vomiting bile when I have to sit behind a tractor with hay rake attached travelling at 25 kph in a 100 kph zone and know that I won't be able to overtake them ( lawfully ) for the next 3 klm.

They have a right to use the road as much as anyone else.

MissionMan
07-02-2015, 10:16am
Cyclists are accountable to the law. Cyclists do get booked for their actions when the break the law. I do have first hand accounts of that from a member of the police force.

I would challenge you to show figures that say 1/3 of cyclists who break the laws aren't getting booked. I would also challenge you to show figures that say that 1/3 of motor vehicle operators who break the law are being booked.

As a hypothesis I would guess that the percentage of cyclist who do get booked from the overall numbers on the roads is already higher than the booking rate for motor vehicle users.

Show me solid figures and proof to substantiate your feelings. I would almost lean the other way to say that the majority of motor vehicle operators break the road rules each day.

MM and others, I don't live in the 'burbs so cyclists don't interrupt my travels much and cause me much frustration in the traffic but I do encounter plenty of them on the roads here and the overwhelming majority do ride within the law.
Likewise I don't start vomiting bile when I have to sit behind a tractor with hay rake attached travelling at 25 kph in a 100 kph zone and know that I won't be able to overtake them ( lawfully ) for the next 3 klm.

They have a right to use the road as much as anyone else.

I know what I see in and around the city and I see more cyclists breaking the law than cars at present. I have yet to see one cyclist booked in the last 10 years. I have seen hundreds of cars booked. I don't see cyclists being targeted and this is one of the reasons they are quite blatant in their disregard for the law. They know they can get away with it.

Yes they have just as much right to use the road, but if they use the roads I expect them (along with all other drivers) to obey the rules. Being more vulnerable doesn't give you an exclusion from the laws.

I would simply like to see them being more accountable like cars and motorcycles are.

ricktas
07-02-2015, 10:17am
* sorry everyone*. I was trying to quote a post here and accidentally deleted it (MissionMan's post). If the ^ doesn't flow properly, it was my fault.

ricktas
07-02-2015, 10:18am
+1

Only when they are caught. I have seen plenty of idiot drivers who do not give a damn, and have not been accountable in any way.

But we are going off-topic now, let's get back to the less confrontational topic of this thread ...politics.

Oh and I have been booked for speeding, on my pushbike..twice. Haven't lost any points, but paid a couple of nice fines. Haven't been booked for anything driving a car, for at least 10 years now.

MissionMan
07-02-2015, 10:27am
* sorry everyone*. I was trying to quote a post here and accidentally deleted it (MissionMan's post). If the ^ doesn't flow properly, it was my fault.

well, there goes my vote for you as the next PM.

I @ M
07-02-2015, 10:41am
I know what I see in and around the city and I see more cyclists breaking the law than cars at present. I have yet to see one cyclist booked in the last 10 years. I have seen hundreds of cars booked.

Cyclists are highly visible due to no steel cage with tinted windows surrounding them, usually they wear high visibility clothing ( just gotta luv fluro lycra :p ) and surely you see them as they zip past you on the left in the bike lane while you sit at yet another set of traffic lights.
Motor vehicle operators can safely hide their mobile phone in their laps whilst texting, catch up on the today show on their ipad wedged in the console and even hold hands with their loved ones whilst being invisible to most other road users.

For what it is worth, the last time I was in Melbourne for the space of about 2 hours I saw 2 cyclists being booked in different locations. I didn't see any motor vehicle operators pulled over by the police but of course we all know that safety cameras do those jobs ----

I don't see cyclists being targeted and this is one of the reasons they are quite blatant in their disregard for the law. They know they can get away with it.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Once again, I see flagrant disregard for the law on a daily basis around here by vehicle operators because they know they can get away with it. Police presence on the roads other than the Highway #1 is minimal so motor vehicle operators do flout the law safe in the knowledge that there are few police, easily spotted speed cameras and a great sense of anonymity as "just another vehicle operator".

Yes they have just as much right to use the road, but if they use the roads I expect them (along with all other drivers) to obey the rules. Being more vulnerable doesn't give you an exclusion from the laws.

I would simply like to see them being more accountable like cars and motorcycles are.

It sounds very much that you would like to see registration plates on cycles so that safety cameras can fine them into submission or that socially and morally responsible citizens can report their indiscretions to the authorities.

I tell you what, I will back that move when they make real time gps data logging of every vehicle on the road a reality. I would even go so far tyo say that all motor vehicle operators in particular should have dash cam ( or 2 ) complete with drug and alcohol detectors recording their every action and streamed direct to a control centre where any driving offence can be immediately detected and a fine sent. Better still, maybe that control centre could activate a small explosive charge built into the vehicle ( similar to that youtube video ) and that way we would not have so many repeat offenders on the road.

Would you be happy to have more attention centred on your driving habits?

ricktas
07-02-2015, 10:47am
well, there goes my vote for you as the next PM.

I don't know. I would love to hit Delete on lots of political policy!

MissionMan
07-02-2015, 11:17am
Cyclists are highly visible due to no steel cage with tinted windows surrounding them, usually they wear high visibility clothing ( just gotta luv fluro lycra :p ) and surely you see them as they zip past you on the left in the bike lane while you sit at yet another set of traffic lights.
Motor vehicle operators can safely hide their mobile phone in their laps whilst texting, catch up on the today show on their ipad wedged in the console and even hold hands with their loved ones whilst being invisible to most other road users.

For what it is worth, the last time I was in Melbourne for the space of about 2 hours I saw 2 cyclists being booked in different locations. I didn't see any motor vehicle operators pulled over by the police but of course we all know that safety cameras do those jobs ----

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Once again, I see flagrant disregard for the law on a daily basis around here by vehicle operators because they know they can get away with it. Police presence on the roads other than the Highway #1 is minimal so motor vehicle operators do flout the law safe in the knowledge that there are few police, easily spotted speed cameras and a great sense of anonymity as "just another vehicle operator".

It sounds very much that you would like to see registration plates on cycles so that safety cameras can fine them into submission or that socially and morally responsible citizens can report their indiscretions to the authorities.

I tell you what, I will back that move when they make real time gps data logging of every vehicle on the road a reality. I would even go so far tyo say that all motor vehicle operators in particular should have dash cam ( or 2 ) complete with drug and alcohol detectors recording their every action and streamed direct to a control centre where any driving offence can be immediately detected and a fine sent. Better still, maybe that control centre could activate a small explosive charge built into the vehicle ( similar to that youtube video ) and that way we would not have so many repeat offenders on the road.

Would you be happy to have more attention centred on your driving habits?

As a motorcyclist who rides within the confines of the law, I am every bit as vulnerable as bicycles so I would have no issue with dash cams or whatever else you propose. When I'm in the car, I drive within the confines of the law.

I am well aware of people using their phones on cars, I ride a motorbike so I see it every day along with the cyclist breaking the law. I'm am well aware of the danger they pose to me, but unpredictable cyclists who don't obey the law pose just as much danger to me. I welcomed the introduction of unmarked bikes because I see how drivers are caught on their phones because bikes have more visibility of this.

Incidentally, I'm not proposing plates, I'm simply proposing the police actively target rogue cyclists which I seem to observe being ignored. I think the failure to act will just result in it getting progressively worse and even harder to change the behaviour. I don't see why this is such an issue.

MissionMan
07-02-2015, 11:18am
I don't know. I would love to hit Delete on lots of political policy!

+1. It also seems commonplace for parties to sabotage the next party if they know they will lose the election at the expense of the public.

merlin1
08-02-2015, 7:26pm
Give him the honour, who cares and what does it matter in the scheme of life. Nothing>

Mark L
08-02-2015, 11:07pm
mmm, didn't realise Sir Prince Philip was a cyclist who used a mobile phone!!
It's late, good Knight.