PDA

View Full Version : Check your shutter count on new cameras

MissionMan
05-01-2015, 12:00pm
Hi Guys

Just a word of warning to check shuttercount on new cameras when you get them. I picked up one from an unnamed retailer (retail special during boxing day period). They have offered a replacement when new stock arrives after I complained so I won't mention their name.

The camera was packed nicely as new. When I purchased it (from another store), they confirmed it had been in a display but said it hadn't been used as it was kept behind glass. I didn't have a wide selection of options as the retail stores had very little stock due to the special.

When I check the camera, I found an 8GB card they had forgotten to remove which included a whole heap of photos of customers, dogs testicles (someone was taking photos of a dogs testicles on a nikon advert), staff and a quick check of the shutter count on the last photo taken showed that 2850 photos had been taken on this camera. I validated this against the first shot taken by myself which was higher than 2850 although there were some photos taken on other models of cameras so this seems to be a generic card used on multiple cameras.

As mentioned, the camera was like new, it was wrapped in plastic perfectly and it look exactly as I would have expected. If I didn't do a mandatory shutter count on the camera (or they hadn't left in the SD card), I probably wouldn't have known any better.

For those who don't know, you can check the shutter count on your camera at http://www.myshuttercount.com/ by uploading an original file taken on the camera (it can't be one that has been imported into lightroom and exported - if you have imported them, go to the original file and upload that).

ameerat42
05-01-2015, 12:06pm
I know some stores have conditions that state you could be buying refurbished or repaired stock as "new".
Bit of a rumper! - Or some other body part!

MattNQ
05-01-2015, 2:31pm
Bugger, that's disappointing. You'd think they'd at least have the honesty to tell you upfront.

Note for Olympus users, images from PEN bodies (Also EM5 & EM1 I think ) don't work with myshuttercount.com
You have to get into the camera's service menu. A quick Google search will find you the correct steps for your model.

cupic
05-01-2015, 2:31pm
Smells something like Hardly Norman would do

MissionMan
05-01-2015, 2:39pm
In all honesty, it was one store communicating with another on a body in stock so it could be a completely innocent mistake if the person they spoke to didn't know any better. Ultimately, they are replacing it so it's not a bad outcome but at least the warning is out there.

ameerat42
05-01-2015, 2:53pm
A nephew bought a camera and it stopped working after a few days. The store replaced it and said they did that if < (?? I think)
a week.

J.davis
05-01-2015, 11:07pm
Checking file #0330 NEF now for the D750, JB had two, one on display and one in a box. I took the box one.
Still waiting @57%. Very large NEF file and crappy service from the internet tonight, due to the rain.
After all that I am at 386, which is about right, with all the tethering deletes today.

wideangle
05-01-2015, 11:39pm
I am not sure that the shutter count would be correct, as I had tried to work this out and from responses there wasn't a sure way to do totally rely on the number output of the file, assuming that's what you are doing?

I @ M
06-01-2015, 6:06am
Checking file #0330 NEF now for the D750, JB had two, one on display and one in a box. I took the box one.
Still waiting @57%. Very large NEF file and crappy service from the internet tonight, due to the rain.
After all that I am at 386, which is about right, with all the tethering deletes today.

John a very quick and easy program to use to check shutter actuations with Nikon cameras is Kuso Exif viewer (http://www.photo-freeware.net/kuso-exif-viewer.php) as it only involves open a jpeg ( with exif intact ) from any folder on your 'puter with the program.

ricktas
06-01-2015, 7:13am
A nephew bought a camera and it stopped working after a few days. The store replaced it and said they did that if < (?? I think)
a week.

They have to. No matter what their in-store signs state, if a device or product does not perform as it is supposed to, the customer is entitled to a full refund or a replacement item. It is the customers choice. Stores often display things like 'no refund' etc, but the store policy cannot over-rule consumer legislation. A quick threat to call Fair Trading usually has them doing the right thing.

As for Hardly Normal, I recently had a 10 month old oven that just died. I called them and they said as it is under the 3 year warranty period, bring it in and they will replace it. I did so, and walked out the door with a new oven, in less than 10 minutes. No questions were asked. They plugged it in, found it did not work and simply gave me a new one from stock.

Warbler
06-01-2015, 8:09am
I've also had great service from Harvey Norman, and Bunnings. Took a chainsaw back about a month after buying it. They just gave me a new one there and then. Sometimes the chainstores are the best when returns/replacements are concerned. Harvey Norman Stores are franchises, so the culture of the staff working there is down to the franchisee and not necessarily the same everywhere.