PDA

View Full Version : Military Photography

Arto
16-12-2014, 1:35am
Hey yall, I am a new member and I was wondering what people's thoughts/examples of what they think good military photography is? Also wondering what people think of the conflict between capturing high fidelity images and the need for operational security?

Thanks!

ricktas
16-12-2014, 7:27am
Good military photography is photo journalism. Some of the best images of military/war have been given top honours in news photography for years. As for the disparity of images vs security. Security always comes first in my opinion.

Photos of military aircraft/machinery etc at displays and events is not military photography, in my opinion. A shot of a military aircraft at a display, is no more interesting than a shot of a commercial aircraft, in that the image is about the plane itself, not about military action/conflict. So to answer your question, we need to know more about exactly what you are asking. Military photography and conflict photography are two separate things if you are talking about simply taking photos of military equipment or taking photos in an actual conflict situation.

Kym
16-12-2014, 8:24am
It is illegal to photograph any defence installation in Australia under the Defence Act 1903 (Cth). Your photos, camera and film can be confiscated and destroyed, and you can face potential fines or imprisonment. You can even be arrested without a warrant. Always obey any warning signs displayed at such locations as you can be penalised even if you haven’t taken any photos, but have photography equipment in your possession. - See more at: http://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-sheet/street-photographers-rights