PDA

View Full Version : Canon cable release pins - how tough?

wideangle
12-12-2014, 11:00pm
I've just ordered a cable release and its connection is via the N3 3 socket on the side of the camera under the flap. The old camera I had, the cable release was just a single solid thread. While I am waiting for the cable release, how have people found the 3 pins in terms of toughness? They look quite delicate.

bricat
14-12-2014, 12:02pm
I just checked mine as I have not used it for some time. I think you do have to be a little careful just in case. I hate to force things too much so I make sure the pins are lined up before applying any force, as it takes a firm push to ram home. There are locating lugs which do prevent you from aligning the wrong way but I guess I'm just ultra cautious. cheers

wanderer51
14-12-2014, 6:39pm
Never had any problems on my 7D. The cable only fits in one way and once you get used to how it goes in (at first it appeared like it was back to front. IE the cable itself 'pokes' towards the front of the camera at a slight upwards angle), it is quite easy and connects without any force. Must admit though that I preferred the 2.5mm 'stereo' type jack on my 550D.

Birdman
14-12-2014, 9:22pm
I have a 5D3 and neer had a problem with the pins, its pretty hard to insert the remote plug the wrong way anyway so they are pretty safe

wideangle
17-12-2014, 3:24pm
I have a 5D3 and neer had a problem with the pins, its pretty hard to insert the remote plug the wrong way anyway so they are pretty safe

Thanks all for your thoughts, nice to know that it doesn't sound like its going to break at the mere touch of putting it in!