PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Beginner

peterv
13-11-2014, 2:07pm
Hey everyone.Joined here so I can learn as much as I can to taking good shots.Bought myself an EOS 700D kit,(3 lenses,bag,tripod) and speedlite lterally three days ago and am finding the manual setting side a bit overwhelming.Body had a fault from day one,and wouldn't take auto shots so it was returned and swapped for another body.I've watched a series of basic videos from the Canon site,but still have a long way to go.

I am wanting to photograph my fish tanks to enter in some competitions so I need to really figure lighting techniques,also get as many shots of my two girls as I can.I live on a rural/bush property so have plenty of birds/wildlife I would like to "capture",as well as general landscape and also,pertinent to my tanks,am extremely interested in macro.So,new camera and want to use it to it's potential.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

ameerat42
13-11-2014, 2:20pm
Hi Peterv.
Welcome to AP.

It sounds like you're interested in a fair swathe of photographic genres.
A new camera can hit like a ton of bricks, and the thing is to be patient.
Of course, a positive attitude helps, as is evident in your post.

OK, perhaps start off in Auto mode (something we don't particularly encourage people to stay in) and get the
feel of your camera.

On AP, the best way to get the most out of it is to join in and interact. Post images, get critique, give same to others,
pose questions/problems/etc.

To help you get about the site AND to help you start off in photography, have a look in the Library. In particular, look at the
New To Photography plan.

See you about.
Am.

peterv
13-11-2014, 2:26pm
Thanks. Already found the NTP in the library and a few pages in!!

Tanks and the associated macros and lighting will be my focus for a while,but kids and other general stuuf will only help me get better.

Mary Anne
13-11-2014, 2:40pm
Hello Peter and Welcome to AP. Good idea to post some images on the Forums for cc that way Members will be able to help if you need it.
And have a look at the sticky up the top of the Forums of the Genres you are interested in plenty of info there also.

bitsnpieces
13-11-2014, 8:49pm
Welcome Peter and great to hear that you're able to learn and get a lot out of the forum already. As Am and Mary Anne have mentioned, post up photos, get some critique, and keep building upon it.

Good luck :)

Mark L
13-11-2014, 9:53pm
G'day Peter.
It's so overwhelming.:)
Take you time, you will figure it all out.
My suggestion would be to focus on death of field. It affects the photo so much. So don't worry about striving to go full manual mode yet, AV mode aperture priority) is a good place to play. You can set you ISO to auto if you like so your only worrying about what aperture to use to get the best DOF.
Don't be afraid to post photos, ask question, make comments and generally get involved. 'tis what makes forums work and helps us all learn.
Enjoy your photographic journey.:th3:

Kym
13-11-2014, 10:26pm
:gday: & Welcome to AP!
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) book and the Learning Plan in the book.

peterv
14-11-2014, 12:09pm
Thanks everyone.Still learning where everything is at the moment.I did note that when I change settings the metering changes relative to the adjustments,which then corresponds to the exposure. (Thought I was pretty clever working that out!)

Had the camera set up on the tripod,on the verandah,and have been taking numerous shots of a big old gumtree,at all different settings to get a feel for it,and the lenses as well.Prefer the 55-250mm.

ricktas
14-11-2014, 1:21pm
Welcome to AP. See you on the forums, with your photos, soon