PDA

View Full Version : Website DIY recommendations

AnnieP
06-10-2014, 8:23pm
I am after recommendations good and bad of DIY websites. I have been doing lots of research and have been going round in circles.

I primarily want to display my landscape photos and once I'm up and running have the option of adding a cart.

Does anyone have any experience good or bad? I am pretty IT savvy and back in 2000 completed a diploma in web design (but that was even before Google was a house hold name!)

Thank you in advance.

Ann :)

hakka
06-10-2014, 9:02pm
Have a look at squarespace.

I built mine myself with no prior experience: www.lincolnharrison.com

ricktas
06-10-2014, 9:22pm
hostgeek have packages for photographers that you setup with a gallery etc. AP site advertiser

You could also look at something like redbubble, smugmug etc

AnnieP
06-10-2014, 10:09pm
Have a look at squarespace.

I built mine myself with no prior experience: www.lincolnharrison.com

Thanks Lincoln it's nice and simple to navigate. I'll certainly take a look.

Thanks Rick too, I am on red bubble, and have looked at Smugmug etc.... I'll take a look at Hostgeek too.

JJM
07-10-2014, 8:24am
Another vote here for squarespace, I built one for my wife with zero previous experience.

Starvin Marvin
08-10-2014, 5:07pm
I use Zenfolio. Very easy to use and great upload system. You can get different levels of packages with options for adding payment and carts, as well as adding printing companies so when someone places an order, it goes straight to the print company etc.

indi
21-02-2015, 11:09am
Another vote for Zenfolio. User friendly and reasonably priced. I did have my own site (using Wordpress) but there it required more work than I could afford to spend to get the galleries and cart going.

landyvlad
01-04-2015, 5:13pm
Yes I am currently learning html / php and css and rewriting my website www.gayundah.info from scratch. BUT I wouldn't recommend that to any photographer who wants to spend more time taking pictures and post processing rather than coding.... and with so many off the shelf options available (as mentioned above) why make life complicated?

Good luck with it.

freelancer
02-04-2015, 2:12pm
In the back of many of those photographic magazines is https://www.clikpic.com/ Ive used them for years, though I must admit I havent bothered changing any pics on there in the last 5 years :lol2:

Never had any down time and with a domain name and site for around $100 I cant complain.

Jon

landyvlad
12-07-2015, 2:27pm
AnnieP - how did you get on with this?

I ended up going with Wordpress (.org I might add) and built my own site. It's not too hard.
Depends on the level of complexity and personalisation you want though.
There any many different themes to choose from and you should have no trouble finding one that appeals.

Anyway that's just my $0.02 of my experience of the last months....

Edit: Just saw the link in your original post so assume that's the new site. It looks great :)