PDA

View Full Version : D90 Grip

MadMax1412
13-09-2014, 10:58am
Guys,

I watched a review of a MB-D80 vertical grip for a Nikon D90 and one thing that they didn't like was there was no distinct "half-way" press to focus. They said you had to hold it roughly in that area, but it was very easy to over press and end up taking a photo.

Does anyone have one of these and can comment on what it's like?

Secondly, on eBay a genuine one seems to go for $125 or so whereas a Chinese version is around $56. Is there really a big difference between the 2?

Thanks

ricktas
13-09-2014, 11:12am
the 'cheap' chinese ones can vary wildly in quality (like most asian 'ripoffs'). But you can also get good third party ones as well. I reckon you should look for a third party one on a site like phottix, rather than ebay etc.

Goatch
14-09-2014, 1:06am
+1 for the Phottix , I got one for my D7000 from them and does the job nicely at 1/4 of the price of Nikon

richardb
15-09-2014, 8:43am
Occasionally the battery holder might have a bad contact at the connector section.
No matter Phottix or Nikon.
The work around is to insert and clamp a piece of cardboard, 12cm x 55cm, 1,5 mm thick, and position it near the battery holder fastening screw.
It works fine. I Found the trick via Nikonian.

MadMax1412
15-09-2014, 3:33pm
Thanks for the heads up about Phottix.

Does anyone have any feedback about the shutter button? The YouTube video I watched said there's no discernable positioning to get autofocus working and you end up accidently taking blurry shots.

bigmick
16-09-2014, 6:54pm
I have a Nikon one on my D90 and as they say there isn't a distinct click feel to the mid push, but there is an increase in tension when you get to half way. The final push to fire the shutter requires pushing nearly fully down. In saying that I have never taken out of focus shots because of not auto focusing. you will get the feel of it rather quickly. as I said there is a distinct step in tension of the button.
Hope this helps.

richardb
17-09-2014, 6:03pm
Error: should be mm instead of cm,
The work around is to insert and clamp a piece of cardboard, 12mmx 55mm, 1,5 mm thick,

:lol: